Which current Red Wing is most likely to get their jersey retired?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It was said before, the only way larkin gets it is if he wins a cup and has multiple playoffs under his belt, closer to the ECF and later. He should have the numbers to support it and it would help a lot to get the cup because he was the best player on the team for the past 6 years or so and would have successfully led the team out of the black hole. Larkin has definitely earned the plaque at this point.

The next possibility would be Seider (as of now). He just needs to win more hardware. Unfortunately for him, Lidstrom kind of set precedents to what you need to get to the rafters. By no way do i mean that he needs 7 norris', but getting 2 or 3 would be the right track. I firmly believe he has the ability to win the playoffs mvp, but if politics play a role, larkin would get the nod first, most likely. Will 100% get the plaque, but hasn't earned it quite yet.

Dark horses could be edvinsson or danielson. Other than that, not many in the pipeline that look like they could have that ability.

It also helps that larkin and seider both have numbers that most players don't really use, so it could help them get that jersey in the rafters.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Jersey retirements don't just happen, they need to be earned. You need tenure with the team, and great accomplishments during that tenure. The team has been mostly terrible for the last 7-8 years, just hasn't been possible for even the best players to really shine.

If Yzerman's rebuild goes to plan, with a Cup (or Cups) along the way, I could see Larkin's number getting retired assuming he leads the team through it all. He's showing how special of a player he is as the team has improved around him. Fantastic leader, consistent clutch scorer, good point production, long tenure as captain, etc. Combine those with team success and he could reach that status.

Which, if people paid attention to what he did during any exhibition hockey when he played with top end talent, should not have been a surprise. Larkin is a damn good hockey player. He has a long way to go to jersey retirement.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
NO ONE.

If I had to pick one, and just one... Raymond. He is hitting all the top marks in Wings history for his age. If he does that for a 15 year career, it's a bit of a no-brainer. By it, I mean hitting all the records. Highly unlikely.

Z, Pavel, Sergei...... Don't hold your breath.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
NO ONE.

If I had to pick one, and just one... Raymond. He is hitting all the top marks in Wings history for his age. If he does that for a 15 year career, it's a bit of a no-brainer. By it, I mean hitting all the records. Highly unlikely.

Z, Pavel, Sergei...... Don't hold your breath.
Like what? Really curious.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
This question can be basically boiled down to following:

Which current player is the most likely to:

- Being inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame
- Win at least one Stanley Cup with Red Wings
- Spend his whole career with Red Wings
- Do not have difficult protracted contract negotiations with Red Wings
- Do not somehow offend Ilitches, Devellano, Yzerman or somebody else of the higher-ups

Seems easy

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Like what? Really curious.
Curious about what? I don't see Sergei ever getting his jersey hung in the rafters. Same is true for Pav and Hank. They just don't have the numbers to cross that threshold.

Lucas is only 21, well he turns 22 today. He is a .7 PPG player for his career now, and that number appears to be trending for this guy to reach that star point per game threshold. With 10-13 years left in his career, it is conceivable he will win a few Cups. If it works out that he wins 3, is a ppg player and plays in Detroit his entire career we'd be looking at:

1200 points
450 goals

113 more goals and 240 more points than Hank

136 more goals and 278 more points than Pav.

All big IFS but he is the youngest and on the best path today. Again, I don't think any of them get there. I hope I am wrong.

As for Mo, I think he will go down as a very solid #1 d'man but his numbers won't rise to a rafter level discussion. Wings fans had a rare treat with 19 and 5.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I guess I just miss understood that you were projecting his career, I thought you were saying Raymonds done things at his age now no other Red Wing has done except for the very best.

I was just wondering like, who he was stacking up against at his current age/time with the wings, but that's not what you were saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad