Which current Red Wing is most likely to get their jersey retired?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean, Datsyuk and Zetterberg will one day.

But what I admire about the Red Wings is it's probably the hardest place to get your jersey retired.

But right now, Dylan Larkin is on pace I'd say. But the bigger question is if he retires a career-Red Wing does he get his number retired but no Stanley Cup? Because I think if he does at this point no player will just not wear 71 out of respect. Any other answers?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don’t think Larkin gets his jersey retired. And I’m a big fan. He’d have to have an incredible back half of his career that includes a Cup. It could happen, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I don’t think anyone currently in the organization is likely to have their jersey retired, but if I had to pick one it would be Seider.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Jersey retirements don't just happen, they need to be earned. You need tenure with the team, and great accomplishments during that tenure. The team has been mostly terrible for the last 7-8 years, just hasn't been possible for even the best players to really shine.

If Yzerman's rebuild goes to plan, with a Cup (or Cups) along the way, I could see Larkin's number getting retired assuming he leads the team through it all. He's showing how special of a player he is as the team has improved around him. Fantastic leader, consistent clutch scorer, good point production, long tenure as captain, etc. Combine those with team success and he could reach that status.

Reactions: dalem177

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
1711251382761.png

The Wings do give plaques though that I think you can only view on your way to the locker room. Vladdy has one, Sergei has one, etc. A more appropriate question might be has Dylan Larkin (or maybe Seider) earned a plaque by now?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A more appropriate question might be has Dylan Larkin (or maybe Seider) earned a plaque by now?
I would agree that this question is more appropriate. But I don't see a single player having earned a plaque just yet.

With a few playoff series wins under their belts, I could see Larkin, with Seider after that. But the team simply has not had any measurable success to justify the honor.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Mickey Redmond. Not a current Wing, but when he finally walks away from the broadcast booth, he deserves the honor. I know others have worn it since, still I think a Mickey Redmond night is worthy.
Good call. At a minimum, he should get the aforementioned plaque - specifically for broadcasting - if he hasn't already been recognized.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Mickey Redmond. Not a current Wing, but when he finally walks away from the broadcast booth, he deserves the honor. I know others have worn it since, still I think a Mickey Redmond night is worthy.

They should have drinks at LCA in honor of Mick. "Ginger ales" for a beer, and a shot and a beer called the "BC two-hander."

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
It would have to be a literal Hall of Fame career that spans the entire time being with the organization over 12+ years that includes Cups, individual awards, and zero off-ice issues that would be in the news or behind close doors with ownership, etc.

Out of this group who could potentially be that guy? - Maybe Seider? Captain at.. lets say...30 after Larkin retires. 2x Norris's and a Cup might get him there? 18yr career, 1100 total games, and 800pts? Somwhere between Kronwall and Lidstroms careers.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Seider is the only current regular that could get to at least that HOF level to get near jersey retirement. He'd need to get a Norris or two to go with the Calder to get there.

Love me some Larks but he is in his prime now and is about a PPG guy and he isn't playing on a true contender during his prime. He isn't going to get the individual numbers or likely be the go to guy once the Wings get to prime contention years.

He will be the guy everyone is playing for to get him a cup though.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
An interesting question might be, once you exclude Wings with their numbers retired, Wings who should have their number retired (Fedorov), and Wings who will very likely have their numbers retired (Hank and Dats), where does Larkin end up ranking against everyone else as a Wing? Assuming he plays his whole career in Detroit?

I could actually see him being the best, ahead of Draper/Kronwall/Shanny, which I guess might put him closer to getting his number retired than I first thought. I still think it would require a spectacular 2nd half of his career.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's kinda off , but I wish somehow ether rafters or Detroit HOF , but have one jersey with Russian 5 on it, grind line and eurotweens jerseys

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
As of today? No one on this roster gets their jersey retired in Detroit, but who knows what the future holds.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Larkins got a shot, but he'll have to lead this team to a Stanley cup or two and be a major figurehead for it. Like...

2 Stanley cups where he won a Conn Smyth or some other trophies, like Selke trophies or something along those lines. A back-to-back cup wins, a couple 100 points seasons in a row, He'll start pushing for his name in the rafters.

I don't think 1 cup gets him there no matter how successful his run was for that cup.

Also Seider, something of the same story sort of with more time, needs a few cups, Norris trophies, higher point totals for longer. Set-up is there though.

If I was a betting man... ( and I am ), I'd say no one. We'll be lucky as fans to see a Larkin lead cup run or appearance, imo, but I'm rooting my tail off for him/Red Wings. Larkins like the Chris Osgood of forwards, everyone knows he's good/above average, but, no one really considers him great/elite even though he's got a lot in his game and stats suggesting he should be considered more than just good/above average.

Last edited:

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
It's much tougher to get your jersey retired than it is to make the HOF, and I don't see anyone currently in the organization with a chance of that significantly higher than zero.

Sure, young guys that have demonstrated some potential, like Raymond and Seider, have some tiny chance of dominating for the next 17 years, and avoiding every injury and slump that could derail that. But we're arguing about which of those guys has a 0.2% chance and which has a 0.25% chance.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad