Speculation: Which current/future NHL players grew up oiler fans?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Hey guys, I was just wondering since the addition of Schultz when he publicly stated that he grew up as an oiler fan and wanted to be an oiler.

Which other players can you add that has stated on record they were fans of the oilers growing up.

Any goalies? I remember reading somewhere that Luongo use to watch the oilers? or was it just liking Grant Fuhr as his hero?

Eberle said he grew up an oiler fan.

I remember reading that Joe Morrow from last draft wanted to be drafed by the oil.

I think Radak Faska from this upcoming draft stated he wanted to be drafted by us.

Ryan Smyth obviously and Shane Doan.

I kinda have a small list but if you guys could name some current NHLers that wanted to be oilers growing up, just would love to hear it.

Thanks. Go oilers :handclap:

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
I think Radak Faska from this upcoming draft stated he wanted to be drafted by us.
I wouldnt put too much stock in that. IIRC, we were interviewing him, so what's he supposed to say? :laugh:
He knows that we're going to draft high. He wants to be drafted high...Can put 2 and 2 together.

Who knows what his actual intentions are?

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
Dont know if he ever came out and said it, but Jim Vandermeer grew up an Oiler fan. My aunt lived beside his aunt for many years and i got talking to her about hockey last time i was down that way and was surprised to hear her say she was his aunt.

Oilmageddon*

There is alot of Players from metro Edmonton in the NHL so I would suggest quite a few.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
There is alot of Players from metro Edmonton in the NHL so I would suggest quite a few.

Don't we have the most per capita?

Remember hearing something about that...in and around 29 guys in the NHL from Edmonton and surrounding area. That's a rough quote lol.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So far we have

Jordan Eberle
Ryan Smyth
Ray Whitney
Shane Doan
Dion Phanuef
Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross
Roberto Luongo
Jim Vandemeer
Joe Morrow
Nick Schultz

Edit

Steve Macintyre
Cam Ward
Tyler Ennis
Devan Dubnyk (**Unsure**)

Thanks Namtsua, pucklington, jbean!
Anyone that can add...that be awesome. I like that list so far :)

Last edited:

adkid2

Jul 29, 2011
I believe Jason Strudwick, Sheldon Souray and Fernando Pisani were all oiler fan growing up... idk if souray feels the same way now:D

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So far we have

Jordan Eberle
Ryan Smyth
Ray Whitney
Shane Doan
Dion Phanuef
Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross
Roberto Luongo
Jim Vandemeer
Joe Morrow
Nick Schultz
Steve Macintyre
Cam Ward
Tyler Ennis
Jason Strudwick
Fernando Pisani
Devan Dubnyk (**Unsure**)
Sheldon Souray (**Unsure**)

Thanks Namtsua, pucklington, jbean, soothsayer, happyholidays, timeforanoilchange!

keep em coming :D

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So far we have

Jordan Eberle
Ryan Smyth
Ray Whitney
Shane Doan
Dion Phanuef
Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross
Roberto Luongo
Jim Vandemeer
Joe Morrow
Nick Schultz
Steve Macintyre
Cam Ward
Tyler Ennis
Jason Strudwick
Fernando Pisani
Ryan O'Reilly
Mattias ritola
Andrew Ference

Devan Dubnyk (**Updated - Edmonton Fan - Fred Brathwaite was undrafted and signed with the oilers for 3 seasons first. I'll give dubnyk the benefit of the the doubt. Thanks to "Welcomehomesmytty.**)

Sheldon Souray (**Unsure**)
Jay Bouwmeester(**Unsure**)
Wade Redden (**Unsure**)
Johnny Boychuk (**Unsure**)
Thanks Namtsua, pucklington, jbean, soothsayer, happyholidays, timeforanoilchange, Hockey fan #751, 40oz, McClelland, Fishy Scales, Stussy, oilfaninvan!

Lists getting better :D

Last edited:

iddmitch

Jun 16, 2009
Edmonton
To be completely honest I would imagine that alot of current NHL vets were likely oiler fans because we were the most exciting team in the late 80s to early 90s (I will await a fan of someone else to try and refute that).

Alot of guys that have played 10+ seasons in the NHL would have been 8 or older, which atleast for me was about the time that I whole heartedly decided their was no team except edmonton to cheer for.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
DJ King was, most Meadow Lake guys are, except I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly Blake Comeau was a Canucks fan, I think I remember him wearing a 'Nucks touque all the time when he was a kid.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Tyler Ennis (already mentioned) and Jared Spurgeon. Here's proof ;)

tumblr_lj5mfbNX9W1qib4uqo1_500.jpg

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
Didn't Oscar Klefbom metion that, out of all the NHL teams, the Oilers were his favourite?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad