Which Coyote takes the biggest step in 17/18?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think/hope Raanta shows he is #1 material, but I will vote for Chychrun. I liked the way he progressed last year playing a difficult position. I'm not speaking points, rather all around play.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Strome? He'll probably get at least 10x as many points as he had last year.

But based on the criteria I'll go with Duclair.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Why does someone always have to say this. Duclair HAS to learn to play without Domi. I believe he will play the majority of his ice time with Domi if he produces, if not it's anyone's guess.

Learning to play without Domi and learning to play with Jamie McGinn are two different things.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
My money's going on Perlini. Wouldn't be surprised if he just goes gangbusters, especially at the start of the year. Other teams won't know too much about him and the speed and shot will give him a lot of open chances.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I really think Domi is going to be beast next year. I wouldn't be surprised, if he hits 65 points.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Reider is my upside pick. He had so many opportunities last year, will finish more this year.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why does someone always have to say this. Duclair HAS to learn to play without Domi. I believe he will play the majority of his ice time with Domi if he produces, if not it's anyone's guess.

This. Duclair can't be dependent upon Domi and Domi shouldn't be codependent with Duclair. They's note Siamese twins, fused at the hips. They both need to produce under varying circumstances.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Reider is my upside pick. He had so many opportunities last year, will finish more this year.

Reider and Crouse can't hit the broad side of a barn with their shots. If they can improve their shots on net, than maybe both of them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I hope you are correct but there were only 50 players League Wide with 25 goals last year and only 4 Coyotes in last 10 years. I'm not sure I see 2 doing it this coming season??
Duke and Perlini will both net 25. Book it.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

This. Duclair can't be dependent upon Domi and Domi shouldn't be codependent with Duclair. They's note Siamese twins, fused at the hips. They both need to produce under varying circumstances.

I don't understand this sentiment. Since Domi and Duke have outstanding chemistry, just play them together and be done with it. That's like saying, "oh ****! The Sedin brothers can't play together, because then they'll score a lot. Haha, better split them up so they score less."

It's not like Domi and Duke will miss out learning the fundamentals of hockey, if they play on the same line regularly. These are grown ass professionals, not 10 year old kids.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I don't understand this sentiment. Since Domi and Duke have outstanding chemistry, just play them together and be done with it. That's like saying, "oh ****! The Sedin brothers can't play together, because then they'll score a lot. Haha, better split them up so they score less."

It's not like Domi and Duke will miss out learning the fundamentals of hockey, if they play on the same line regularly. These are grown ass professionals, not 10 year old kids.

Agree. What the two seemed to have was special; foster it if possible, trade him if it isn't and he repeats last year's performance/s.

As they said in the press conference, entertainment is part of hockey and the Killer D's were entertaining.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'll go with Duclair; he seemed to struggle most last season.

OEL is my second pick; I think he'll have one of his best seasons in 2017/2018

In terms of others:
I'm thinking Perlini struggles to begin with
Dvorak won't improve much, although there will be flashes
Chychrun will be roughly as successful with a slight uptick
Domi will improve slightly (due to lack of injury)​

While Tocchet may be a marked improvement over Tippett, it ain't gonna be automatic gangbusters, folks. It will probably take about 1/2 a season before we see decent improvement.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How are Fischer and Domingue not on this list? :D
Fischer has a mighty strong allround game. If only he could find a way translate his scoring touch into the NHL he'll be the most improved player.

I also hope that, with Smith and a Tippett gone, Domingue will, for the first time, get a real chance and I'm excited to see what he's capable of. His skillset is off the charts so in my view, it will all come down to mental strength and consistency.

The only player on that list I expect to make a jump is Dvorak. Sky is the limit for that kid. Give him some real wingers and he'll thrive...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Domingue is still going to have to break through and earn more games. There's certainly a good chance he's outright given some more games behind Raanta but it's already been made clear that Raanta is the starter.

So it would take a lot for Domingue to break through especially to an extent surpassing any of the names on the list.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How are Fischer and Domingue not on this list? :D
Fischer has a mighty strong allround game. If only he could find a way translate his scoring touch into the NHL he'll be the most improved player.

I also hope that, with Smith and a Tippett gone, Domingue will, for the first time, get a real chance and I'm excited to see what he's capable of. His skillset is off the charts so in my view, it will all come down to mental strength and consistency.

The only player on that list I expect to make a jump is Dvorak. Sky is the limit for that kid. Give him some real wingers and he'll thrive...

If Dvorak is the only one, some will be calling for RT head by Christmas.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I am most looking forward to Domi proving he is a top line player this year. He should be playing with two other guys that are actually good offensively for the first time. Can't wait to see that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agree. What the two seemed to have was special; foster it if possible, trade him if it isn't and he repeats last year's performance/s.

As they said in the press conference, entertainment is part of hockey and the Killer D's were entertaining.

You are missing the point. Other teams will learn how to stop this line, and then what. Why should Domi suffer because Duclair can't produce. We are not talking Crosby or McDavid here.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't mind Duclair on the Domi line most of the time, but he will need to develop chemistry with other players. If he can only produce with Domi, he's got far less value. As an example, should Domi be lost for a bunch of games, Duclair will have to take up some of the slack rather than drop his production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad