Which country has a stronger football team: USA or Canada?

Stronger soccer team?

• USA

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Canada

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
In another head to head, I'd take Canada over the USMNT. Your program is in shambles with an awful manager
Is now the best time to say that? Y'all scored the same number of goals as us (less, if you take away own goals) while giving up a ton more collecting all of 0 points and failing to get out of the group stage.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Canada's program has made a ton of strides and that shouldn't be dismissed or have a patronizing attitude towards it.

It's a weird one where Canada probably has you would say the top two players, and Eustaquio is very good. The qualifying results were not surprising at all in the sense of when you watched the respective teams actually on the pitch but I think you would have to honestly say that the U.S. program is still healthier and in a better place.

Despite that, Canada obviously wants to be in a better position in the future than the U.S. are (it's nothing to write home about right now) and the U.S. themselves obviously want to make strides and progress.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Is now the best time to say that? Y'all scored the same number of goals as us (less, if you take away own goals) while giving up a ton more collecting all of 0 points and failing to get out of the group stage.

The facts are that they're in all the competitions that we're in. They haven't won a Gold Cup since 2000 and we just won the Gold Cup and Nations League, so I'm not hearing any of this. If your team is better, they should win something first.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The US has been banking on natural progression to lift them up for two decades meanwhile there is no one here or on the horizon who has come close to replacing Dempsey, Donovan, McBride etc.
Other than Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson, etc.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
US has the better team, Canada has the better high end attacking players.

I also think nerves impacted this Canadian squad since none of them will have played at the WC before.

Canada really needs to develop some defenders in the next 4 years though, especially if they plan on keeping Davies as an attacking player

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The facts are that they're in all the competitions that we're in. They haven't won a Gold Cup since 2000 and we just won the Gold Cup and Nations League, so I'm not hearing any of this. If your team is better, they should win something first.
And Canada is old while America is young. Other than Ream, we haven't played a single person over 30.

The CBs are old when it comes to Zimmerman, Long, and Ream. But their replacements exist and are playing in top leagues in Europe (Richards, EPB; CCV and McKenzie are in lower leagues but start). And even if you look at other players who have been called up recently, only two (Lletget and Zardes) are 30+.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto

I'm not sure scoring one goal against Iran (a team that gave up 6 to England) and Wales is the brag you think it is.

And you also bring up an own goal as an argument against when it was likely a goal that was going in anyway even if the defender didn't deflect it

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
And you also bring up an own goal as an argument against when it was likely a goal that was going in anyway even if the defender didn't deflect it
Yes, if there weren't defenders there Canada probably would have scored. If the defender defended the ball properly, it wouldn't have been a problem at all.
I'm not sure scoring one goal against Iran (a team that gave up 6 to England) and Wales is the brag you think it is.
Sure. In that case, I'd point out that we gave up 0 goals to England while you couldn't keep a single clean sheet

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Qatar scored one less goal than Canada and they gave up the same amount of goals while both finishing with 0 points. I'm cracking up at you criticizing how many goals another team scored here. Defending well is part of having a good team.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Pulisic is an obvious tier below them. The rest are all pretty forgettable players that no one outside the US care about
Pulisic is scoring at the same rate as Dempsey (and much better than Donovan) while playing at better clubs in Europe.

Reyna, Weah, Aaronson all start/play for big 5 league teams but I'm sure no one cares about them. All three would waltz into Canada's starting lineup

• Haha
Reactions: Pink Mist

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
What an embarrassing thread.

Let's just say Davies is the best talent in CONCACAF. It means nothing when the rest of your squad is just totally mediocre. Just ask the Norwegian football fans what it means to have the best striker in Europe.

I'm Canadian but the squad was terribly overrated due to individual players picking up options for European clubs. The mindset literally became "oh this guy signed for a European team, therefore he must be good!"

This country still has a long long way to go before being in consideration with Mexico and USA. One WCQ cycle means squat.

Simply put, this team does not make it out of Group B. We put up a combined 2 shots on net in the final 180 minutes of play. This squad was just futile in attacking.

The fact that we were able to get two talents at the level of Davies and David out of the footballing infrastructures of this country is a freaking miracle, we oughta be hella proud of it.

But there are no short term solutions to what ails this country. Mexico has solid footballing infrastructure that goes back several decades. They're in a little bit of glut at the moment but they should bounce back sooner than not. The US has nearly unlimited resources, they can pour billions of dollars in their footballing programs in a way that Canada cannot.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Pulisic is scoring at the same rate as Dempsey (and much better than Donovan) while playing at better clubs in Europe.

Reyna, Weah, Aaronson all start/play for big 5 league teams but I'm sure no one cares about them. All three would waltz into Canada's starting lineup
Statement #1: Extremely accurate.

Statement #2: Absurd. None of those three are as good as David (obviously), and all three are a wash with Buchanan.

Reactions: Pink Mist

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean I just think it’s funny how much lack of knowledge you are showing right now to even suggest FIFA rankings are an accurate representation. Keep going - this is great
Shall we look at Elo Ratings as well (20 to 40)? Or what, your "trust me, bro" ranks?

Happy that I was able to teach you how groups are determined at the World Cup...

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Statement #1: Extremely accurate.

Statement #2: Absurd. None of those three are as good as David (obviously), and all three are a wash with Buchanan.
Counterpoint:

1. Junior Hoilett started 2/3 games for you guys

2. Cyle Larin started the other game and those guys are better than him too.

3. Aaronson plays CM and would easily play over a few of the guys who got used.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
All three are better than Buchanan. Or Weah would play RB or Reyna/Aaronson would play in the midfield. Or Davies would move to LB. Canada sitting what would be at worst their 4th most talented player would be silly.

The fact that we were able to get two talents at the level of Davies and David out of the footballing infrastructures of this country is a freaking miracle, we oughta be hella proud of it.
What's somewhat ironic is that neither of them were born in Canada

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Once Mexico gets their feet sorted, they'll easily return to being the kings of Concacaf
lol, oldest team at the World Cup, didn't make it out. USA 2nd youngest team, champions of Nations League, champions of the Gold Cup without the best players beating most of Mexico's best... Mexico has little in the way of reinforcements coming.

Mexico "getting their feet sorted" to "easily return to being the kings" is a ways away, and at this point, nothing but a hypothetical.

USA is a giant nation, very wealthy and hyper-rabid of sports. The only question is whether the passion will be there to stay good at Soccer, for now though, USA has a much brighter future than Mexico.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Weird chest thumping aside. Obviously USA is further ahead, that's not and never has been a secret. They are in a much better position to compete at a level such as the world cup. That said I don't think the gap is nearly as large as it has been previously, head to head and within CONCACAF Canada is able to challenge them. It will be good to see the rivalry grow

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
He might get there at some point but Buchanan has a lot of football to play to be able to even be mentioned in the same breath as Reyna. Weah I don't rate so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad