Which contract will be the most regrettable?

Which contract will be the most regrettable?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
What would you like to discuss, do you think those contracts were good?
Nurse is slightly overpaid, and Hymans term is 2 years too long.

Hymans cap hit is very good for a player of his ability and you have to overpay for good young defenseman hitting thier prime years in a horny market like NHL. The Oilers took a gamble by bridging Nurse 2 times. They lost that gamble. They are not about to pay another defenseman 2 million less in the market to lose Nurse and downgrade even more in that position. Nurse is a beast moving forward. He was impressive last year and getting better.

Bouchard , Samorukov and Broberg will supplement Nurse in the coming years to round out a deep core.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
...no, he's not anywhere "in the same ballpark" as those three offensively...I've watched every game this kid played with the Habs in his career; he's ELITE defensively and sub-par (and that's being generous) offensively...unless your team's requirement is 100% defensive and offense is just a bonus, you take Pageau or Gourde all day every day over Danault (Coyle's contract is another terrible one)...that's not worth $5.5 mill x 7 years...
How is he not in the same ballpark as those guys offensively? Pageau is a career ~35pt guy, Danault is a ~41pt guy, and Coyle is a ~40pt guy. Gourde is the clear winner offensively but I don't see how Danault is significantly worse than someone like JGP or Coyle offensively.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
How is he not in the same ballpark as those guys offensively? Pageau is a career ~35pt guy, Danault is a ~41pt guy, and Coyle is a ~40pt guy. Gourde is the clear winner offensively but I don't see how Danault is significantly worse than someone like JGP or Coyle offensively.

...because Danault's numbers are inflated significantly by playing as Montreal's #1C with their top 2 wingers for multiple season...this is one of those occasions where just reading the stats without taking into account the context is creating a significant mirage around the player...when Danault was without those Top End wingers (or like last season when both Tatar & Gallagher were not at the top of their game), his production fell off pretty substantially despite still playing 17 to 19 minutes a night in Top 6 duty...he's an ELITE defensive centre who's offensive game is lacking in many key areas...

AgeIess

Jul 14, 2021
I forgot about that one or I would have put it in too, it looks rough
Added but it may be too late for it to get a fair result
Ask a mod to edit it for you and also allow voters to change their vote if that's possible. That Nurse contract is up there with the most moronic of signings in league history.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Ask a mod to edit it for you and also allow voters to change their vote if that's possible. That Nurse contract is up there with the most moronic of signings in league history.

Danault is the player, I added him already.. as for Nurse, I left him off purposely as I was just doing UFA signings not Re-signing with your own team

I do agree though that, that deal will end up being worse than most if not all of these deals

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
...because Danault's numbers are inflated significantly by playing as Montreal's #1C with their top 2 wingers for multiple season...this is one of those occasions where just reading the stats without taking into account the context is creating a significant mirage around the player...when Danault was without those Top End wingers (or like last season when both Tatar & Gallagher were not at the top of their game), his production fell off pretty substantially despite still playing 17 to 19 minutes a night in Top 6 duty...he's an ELITE defensive centre who's offensive game is lacking in many key areas...
I guess we’ll see. From everything I’ve seen when watching him I can’t imagine him being less productive than someone like JGP. Even then his defensive abilities are rare and will allow the contract to age a lot better than the other guys in the poll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad