Which contract will be the most regrettable?

Which contract will be the most regrettable?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hyman shouldn’t be winning this poll. He is a great player who will help the Oilers a lot. The contract may age poorly due to his injury history and play style but at least he will be worth his cap hit for a few years.

There are a few guys here who will never at any point be worth their cap hits.
This exactly". The Oil are in win now mode. They have a 3-4 year window and that all they need out of Hyman.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
Hyman shouldn’t be winning this poll. He is a great player who will help the Oilers a lot. The contract may age poorly due to his injury history and play style but at least he will be worth his cap hit for a few years.

There are a few guys here who will never at any point be worth their cap hits.
I agree, voted Danault.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
In isolation, Hyman's contract is bad.

But it gets less bad when you consider that part of his contract is meant as an incentive for McDavid and Draisaitl to sign extensions.

If management spends money and puts forth the perception that they are trying to do things to improve the team, then the odds of McDavid and Draisaitl staying become greater.

I think Edmonton needs to start showing some forward progress within the next 3 years (such as winning a round or two, and making the playoffs every year), or else there is an increased risk that McDavid and Draisaitl may start seriously contemplating leaving the team.

Reactions: GreeningOil

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Easily Dougie Hamilton. Everyone, including Canes fans, we’re wondering if a team would blow the bank for a player entering his 30’s on a long term deal. That’s exactly what happened but because Jones and Werenski got paid it’s ok?

No sir. This one will be Subbanesqe once the offense dries up.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I voted Goodrow. Even if he's making the least amount of money, you don't need to pay that much money for someone who literally isn't going to score. He's a penalty killer...you can find those kind of guys all over the place.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks Hyman will be very good in EDM?

Term might be too long but I don't mind his contract actually that much. They could use a guy like him

No, I also think Hyman will play well with Edmonton. Good situation for him. He may fit like a glove with McDavid as his puck go-getter. He was fast (not McDavid fast) before his recent injury problems so as long as he recovers nicely McDavid will not leave him in the dust and he may get some additional offensive opportunities as a result. IMO Hyman is more effective as a RW, he may get that opportunity in Edmonton that he was not going to get in Toronto.

I think the term is too long and I think the dollar amount it too high for him.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Danault's skillset (defense) is the type that tends to age really well. So I don't have any issue with the term, really. I think his offensive upside is somewhat limited, but I don't think that's why LA signed him.

Hyman - I think the term might be an issue. I think he's the type who will get banged up quick and slow down. 7 years is a long time. 5.5M$ isn't that big of a deal early on, but if he declines a lot and still has 3-5 years left, it'll be significant.

I actually ended up voting Hamilton though. 9M$? I've never thought of him that highly. Maybe it's a bit a case of me undervaluing him, but I also don't think he's worth that much, and it's a lot harder to hide a 9M$ cap hit than a ~5M$ one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I went with Danault.

It's hard for defensive players to live up to their contracts.

When the team is losing and one of your top minute eaters isn't getting any points, it starts becoming glaring.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
...that Darnell Nurse contract should be bronzed and put on display in the HHoF as a reminder to all that Santa does exist...:laugh:
I'd rather have Nurse at his contract than Hamilton on his. Hamilton is way too one dimensional and doesn't appear to have any sort of leadership qualities to his game. Yes, he puts up a few more points, but I'd much rather have Nurse's all around game and physical play than Hamilton's edge in passing and shooting. To move away from Nurse though, that's why I voted for Hamilton here. He's a great one way defenseman, but for elite dollars, I'd rather have guys with fewer holes in their game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I voted Hyman, but I think Danault could fit with those names...

5.5M for 6 years is a bigger contract than Coleman or Goodrow, close to the Hyman one. Hamilton is a legit #1D imo, just the length sucks but that's UFA for you.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Danault's gonna end up a 3C in LA if their rebuild goes well...
5.5 for an elite 3C is about the going rate. Plus he can easily fill a top 6 role as he's a really good producer at ES.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I'd rather have Nurse at his contract than Hamilton on his. Hamilton is way too one dimensional and doesn't appear to have any sort of leadership qualities to his game. Yes, he puts up a few more points, but I'd much rather have Nurse's all around game and physical play than Hamilton's edge in passing and shooting. To move away from Nurse though, that's why I voted for Hamilton here. He's a great one way defenseman, but for elite dollars, I'd rather have guys with fewer holes in their game.

...no doubt that Hamilton is completely one-dimensional, but he's ELITE at that dimension; Nurse had one shortened season where he was at that level offensively, the rest of his career he hasn't been really close to an elite level anywhere...and Nurse has many holes in his game without the puck and defensively; not as significantly as Hamilton does in his own end, but Nurse still has a lot of work to do on the defensive aspects of his game...I like Nurse and hope he can continue to put it all together, but at this point, that contract is an albatross waiting for a place to hang...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
5.5 for an elite 3C is about the going rate. Plus he can easily fill a top 6 role as he's a really good producer at ES.

...name one other one that isn't a terrible deal that makes Danault money...and as Montreal fans have been debating for years, much of Danault's production here was due to being glued to the team's best wingers; once that changed, his production dropped significantly...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
...no doubt that Hamilton is completely one-dimensional, but he's ELITE at that dimension; Nurse had one shortened season where he was at that level offensively, the rest of his career he hasn't been really close to an elite level anywhere...and Nurse has many holes in his game without the puck and defensively; not as significantly as Hamilton does in his own end, but Nurse still has a lot of work to do on the defensive aspects of his game...I like Nurse and hope he can continue to put it all together, but at this point, that contract is an albatross waiting for a place to hang...
Nurse's defensive play is incredibly underrated. I think most people agree with the bolded, but it simply isn't very accurate at this point. Nurse's defensive game has developed incredibly well over the past three seasons. Especially the past year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
...name one other one that isn't a terrible deal that makes Danault money...and as Montreal fans have been debating for years, much of Danault's production here was due to being glued to the team's best wingers; once that changed, his production dropped significantly...
Pageau, Coyle, and Gourde are in the same range of contracts and Danault as the best 3C's in the league currently. Coyles would be the only bad contract of those though imo. Danault is a better defensive player than all of the above while still being in the same ball park offensively.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Pageau, Coyle, and Gourde are in the same range of contracts and Danault as the best 3C's in the league currently. Danault is a better defensive player than all of the above while still being in the same ball park offensively.

...no, he's not anywhere "in the same ballpark" as those three offensively...I've watched every game this kid played with the Habs in his career; he's ELITE defensively and sub-par (and that's being generous) offensively...unless your team's requirement is 100% defensive and offense is just a bonus, you take Pageau or Gourde all day every day over Danault (Coyle's contract is another terrible one)...that's not worth $5.5 mill x 7 years...

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Danault. He's going to end up as the Kings 4C within a couple years.

2 out of 3 of Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi along with Kopitar will end up taking the top 3 centers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No one called you a Kings fan though....

Ducks fan.. cool I imagine not much hockey is watched outside of Anahiem in your case...
I watch tons of hockey, I imagine a lot more than you

paying hyman 1 year more at same price as denault is silly at best…. Denault will at least be a good player defensively through that contract, hyman prob won’t make it through his

and nurse is good but not 9+ good.

I do enjoy watching oilers fans suffer tho, so i approve both

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I watch tons of hockey, I imagine a lot more than you

paying hyman 1 year more at same price as denault is silly at best…. Denault will at least be a good player defensively through that contract, hyman prob won’t make it through his

and nurse is good but not 9+ good.

I do enjoy watching oilers fans suffer tho, so i approve both

Exactly the type of ring around the rosie type response you would expect from the cradle of hotbed like Anahiem... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad