Which CBJ defenseman will get dealt this summer?

Which defenseman gets traded?

• Total voters

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It’s been talked about in fits and starts among other offseason talk but I thought maybe a dedicated thread with poll was in order. It seems obvious there’s depth on the blueline that could be used to acquire something the club needs more.

You can only pick one option, and I realize the returns will vary. So you’re probably not only picking a damn but also a scenario and approximate return. (I added Murray knowing he’d have to be traded before the free agency period begins.)

What do you think?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think it depends on the target.

1. Savard - he would be in demand as a RH D and a solid shut down guy
2. Murray - if healthy he is really good but because he is not he may not bring back what he should

Werenski is only traded if it is part of a "marner type" acquisition.

Reactions: Viqsi

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I haven’t voted yet but my guess is it’ll be either Savard or Werenski, depending on what’s coming back the other way. Savard has only two years left on his deal, and if he’s not in our long-term plans, now may be the best time to move him. Could for sure get a top-6 forward for him. But at the same time, maybe “only” a top-6 player wouldn’t be worth dealing him; we have good forward depth already, we’re missing top-end talent. I’d miss him though, he’s a beast.

Werenski (even if we need to add slightly depending on the exact player coming back) should only be moved for a top-line forward. I think there are deals out there to be had. Would be a huge risk but potential huge reward.

I’d be pretty surprised if we trade Murray because I don’t think we’d get an appropriate return due to his injuries. Similar for Nuti, although in his case it’s because he’s likely underappreciated/undervalued around the league. But all it takes is one team to offer something we can’t refuse.

As far as “other”... I wouldn’t be surprised if Harrington is dealt for a mid-round pick to recoup some of our draft pick losses. Even if you trade another D, he’d probably still be a 7D for us, with other (presumably) capable players like Peeke, Clendening and Carlsson behind him. (The one downside is you’ll need one of those guys in Cbus instead of Cleveland if you trade Harrington.) I think there are teams out there that’d be willing to trade a mid-rounder for a guy like Harrington to add to their bottom pair/depth. Here’s a hypothetical if Werenski and Harrington are traded (the same exercise applies whether it’s Werenski, Savard, Murray...):

Jones-Murray
Nuti-Savard
Kukan-Gavrikov

Peeke/Clendening/Carlsson

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For some reason I see CBJ and TML as trade partners. TML has some assets that could be dealt to help remove some of their CAP issue and CBJ has CAP space to work with. Why post that here? I just have this inkling that CBJ could want some cost certainty in a RD and someone that could be exposed with possible attraction to Seattle. Yes, I'm talking about Zaitsev. Had a rough year but does have a good skill set for today's game. I'm not saying I want this to happen but could see CBJ looking to take on both Marleau and Zaitsev while moving Savard (same or different deals). TML would need to pay a pretty penny to move both. Marleau is either gone in a year or moved with salary retention. His salary is only $4.5 for next year but CAP hit is larger. I've long pined for Kapenen. He could be had along with picks and possibly a young player from Marlies? I don't know, it just seems like Savard offers a lot if moved (yes, if kept as well).

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think a lot of it depends on Duchene . If Duchene stays , and you have Duchene and Dubois down the middle , we have lots of scoring depth , and some dynamic wingers , that should atleast be serviceable . Bjorkstrand could easily become an allstar with what he flashed towards the end of the season , so in that regard , a lesser dman could be moved , because we can only protect so many with expansion looming .

If Duchene doesn’t resign , I think you have to consider all options , including Werenski , to acquire a dynamic centerman , or if not , a Marner type talent . I just can’t see Jarmo going into next season , depending on Wennberg to become that player . And at this point in his career , especially with Panarin leaving , Dubois isn’t a true #1 c yet. And honestly , we don’t have a C in our pipeline that can solve this problem in the next few years , unless they expect Texier to be moved to C .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For some reason I see CBJ and TML as trade partners. TML has some assets that could be dealt to help remove some of their CAP issue and CBJ has CAP space to work with. Why post that here? I just have this inkling that CBJ could want some cost certainty in a RD and someone that could be exposed with possible attraction to Seattle. Yes, I'm talking about Zaitsev. Had a rough year but does have a good skill set for today's game. I'm not saying I want this to happen but could see CBJ looking to take on both Marleau and Zaitsev while moving Savard (same or different deals). TML would need to pay a pretty penny to move both. Marleau is either gone in a year or moved with salary retention. His salary is only $4.5 for next year but CAP hit is larger. I've long pined for Kapenen. He could be had along with picks and possibly a young player from Marlies? I don't know, it just seems like Savard offers a lot if moved (yes, if kept as well).

If you're taking on Zaitsev's five year contract for Savard, and taking on Marleau too, you better set your sights higher than Kapanen. If you just want Kapanen you won't have to work that hard.

Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As far as “other”... I wouldn’t be surprised if Harrington is dealt for a mid-round pick to recoup some of our draft pick losses.

Was thinking this myself, which depth d-man might get a pick for the upcoming draft, and settled on Harrington. Depends on what happens with Clendening, maybe? He's RFA. Harry is also a part of the Seth-and-Boone group of early-20s Jackets, which is not reason enough by itself to not move him if it's warranted but something to think about.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo will likely go big game hunting. The Marner's, Nylander's, etc,so in order to get a franchise esc player like Marner you need to deal one away. That would be Werenski.

If we're going for a lower end target like Nylander, I could see Savard going the other way due to their need at RHD. However, I don't think Savard is sexy enough. Nutivaara is good, but he's not going to get you Nylander in all likelihood.

Gavrikov, Murray, Kukan all hold more value to the CBJ than they would in trades. For a variety of reasons.

In all honesty, I think the most likely scenario is trading Harrington for some bottom 6 option. I don't think Marner get's dealt, and I don't think Werenski for Nylander is good enough for us to trade Werenski. As mentioned, Savard probably isn't good enough to get Nylander. I could see a lot of rumors but not a lot of action on our defenseman. To alleviate the cluster, Harrington goes for bottom 6 guy or mid level draft pick.

With Duchene walking a near certainty now, It would be a mistake to deal away Werenski unless it was for a Marner player. I also think with added responsibility Nutivaara could boost his value, but if Murray is healthy he's seeing 3rd pairing ice time again and that's not exactly easy to boost your value playing 12-15 minutes a night.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don't think any of them are getting traded. Do I vote "other"

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm firmly in the "don't know" camp:laugh:

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Marner ends up here, so I don't see Werenski going in something like that.

With Murray's permanently iffy health status, I don't know if Jarmo has quite the leverage with his defense that many seem to think. It's been brought up that Jones is UFA in 3 years and I'll guarantee that the situation won't be a repeat of Bob/Panarin. Long term, the CBJ have to acknowledge a non Jones-anchored defense as a possibility.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Ok. Ready to post now after changing my vote a couple of times. Zach is the guy who can return a high level forward in the vein of the Jones-Johansen deal. But I'm not sure if that deal is out there and Jarmo is smart enough to walk away from anything less.

Murray's trade value is less than his value to the Jackets when healthy. The remaining players who can garner the fairest trade value are Savard and Nuti. One of them would be a bottom pairing DMan on the current roster and their value exceeds that slot. Though Savard would be more attractive to trade because of his salary, he seems more solidified as the second pairing option which leads to think Nuti will be the trade asset if one is made......tough pill for me because I really like his game.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm kind of noncommittal, but ultimately I think Murray's the most reasonable, simply because 1) picks are actually a useful return for us, and 2) his is the sort of situation such that conditional picks based on games played to level out the value actually make sense.

But I have no idea whether or not that actually happens. ;)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm kind of noncommittal, but ultimately I think Murray's the most reasonable, simply because 1) picks are actually a useful return for us, and 2) his is the sort of situation such that conditional picks based on games played to level out the value actually make sense.

Even with the picks made conditional on games played, I don't see us getting nearly enough value in a Murray trade. Nothing that approximates the value he provides on the ice. We also stand to get a lot more in a mid-season trade if he manages to be healthy.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Dealing Murray or any of the "top 4" guys, or really ANY of the somewhat valuable defenseman (Nuti, Kukan, Gavrikov) for "picks" would be dumb. IMO. This narrative (from mainly opposing fans) that we need or it would even help the team to acquire draft picks in the next couple years to add to our prospects is bogus. The team/core is still much younger than many teams, and is in NO NEED for a "youth movement" more than what will naturally occur this year and going forward. We have 3 guys (at least) in Texier, Bemstrom and Foudy that look to be ready to be regular NHLers in the next couple years and seem to trump any draft pick or prospect we could add.

What this team needs now is that same before we acquired Panarin or Duchene. An impact player.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dealing Murray or any of the "top 4" guys, or really ANY of the somewhat valuable defenseman (Nuti, Kukan, Gavrikov) for "picks" would be dumb. IMO. This narrative (from mainly opposing fans) that we need or it would even help the team to acquire draft picks in the next couple years to add to our prospects is bogus. The team/core is still much younger than many teams, and is in NO NEED for a "youth movement" more than what will naturally occur this year and going forward. We have 3 guys (at least) in Texier, Bemstrom and Foudy that look to be ready to be regular NHLers in the next couple years and seem to trump any draft pick or prospect we could add.

What this team needs now is that same before we acquired Panarin or Duchene. An impact player.

I agree that we aren't short on youth. I think it would be valuable to have picks in different places in the draft just in case Jarmo and his scouts can get their guys. Or if say, a top player on their list falls and they can trade Nuti to get the #11 and pick him, then go for it.

But that's opportunism. I'm on your side on this one, we don't have any special need for picks/ youth at the moment.

Reactions: thebus88

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Trading Savard for a forward makes the most sense. He is an up and down player who ended the season playing very well. We won’t be able to resign him when this contract is up. Nuti and Murray both ended the season injured. If you trade one of them, it is Murray near the trade deadline if he is healthy and if we are not making the playoffs. Jones is the face of the franchise. I would only trade Zach for an incredible return. If some team wants to offer a really good center prospect for Gavrikov, we should consider it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Trading Savard for a forward makes the most sense. He is an up and down player who ended the season playing very well. We won’t be able to resign him when this contract is up. Nuti and Murray both ended the season injured. If you trade one of them, it is Murray near the trade deadline if he is healthy and if we are not making the playoffs. Jones is the face of the franchise. I would only trade Zach for an incredible return. If some team wants to offer a really good center prospect for Gavrikov, we should consider it.

- If there is a good return for Gavrikov then he's absolutely a part of this conversation.

- I'd say Savard is a lot more "up" than "down" in the last few years. He's been kind of amazing considering his limited tools. Yes, his contract is up in two years. To me that's a lot of good hockey we'd be giving up.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I don't disagree. My point was that since picks would be a useful thing to have at this point, taking back conditional picks would be a good way to make sure we don't get ripped off in a Murray trade while still getting something else we need - as opposed to most of the time, when more picks don't do us any real good.

That, of course, assumes we make a trade at all, which IMO is pretty much entirely predicated on whether or not we keep Duchene.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
There are a few teams reportedly looking for help on defense. You’ve put together a pretty deep blue line. Any chance that’s a position you use to acquire help elsewhere on the roster, or perhaps draft picks?

I’m very happy with the depth we have on D. It might be a bit of a problem that we have too many guys who could be and should be top six, but I’ll gladly have that problem.

How difficult will it be to get Zach Werenski signed to a new contract?

I’m the eternal optimist. I think reasonable people can find a solution. There’s a pretty good measuring stick on the right side of him (in Seth Jones).

Jones may be the Blue Jackets’ most talented player no matter what happens this summer. How important is salary structure hierarchy to you? In other words, while allowing for inflation over the last few years, how important is it for Werenski’s new deal to fall in place with Jones’ deal ($5.4 million per season), or at least stay in his realm?

Things do change, as you mentioned, with inflation. But, yes, we take the salary structure very seriously. You can never find the perfect world because sometimes guys come to you via trades. Sometimes when you have more UFA years you’re buying, it’s a different animal. We want to take it seriously and do the best we can with it, but I don’t think you’re ever going to be perfect. You have to accept that.

Is a short-term deal or long-term deal more likely for Werenski?

I don’t want to get into any of that. But I think we should find a solution for that. It shouldn’t be that hard. We have his numbers. We like the player. He’s part of our core group and we want to grow together with him. Hopefully he feels the same way.

A conversation with Jarmo Kekalainen: Blue Jackets GM looks...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And the first semi credible trade rumor from Scott Powers on the Athletic.

Blackhawks have discussed Ryan Murray for possible unknown picks and prospects combinations.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
And the first semi credible trade rumor from Scott Powers on the Athletic.

Blackhawks have discussed Ryan Murray for possible unknown picks and prospects combinations.

To follow up:

2. The Blackhawks recently talked to the Columbus Blue Jackets about acquiring defenseman Ryan Murray, according to a league source. As of now, it doesn’t appear a deal is getting done, but that of course could change in the coming weeks.

3. What do we know about Murray? He’ll turn 26 in September. He’s 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds. He’s a left-handed shot. He’s set to become a restricted free agent and can become an unrestricted free agent next year. In Evolving-Hockey’s contract projection model, he’s projected to receive a three-year contract with a $4,146,272 cap hit.
As for his ability, Murray has shown to be a top-pairing defenseman when healthy. This past season he was tied for 29th among defensemen in goals above replacement (GAR), 11th in even-strength GAR and tied for 28th in wins above replacement (WAR), according to Evolving-Hockey. As for on-ice numbers, he had a 50.61 Corsi percentage, 55.24 goals-for percentage (58 goals for and 48 against) and had a 53.71 expected goals-for percentage. He also had a 47.92 offensive zone faceoff starting percentage. He was mostly partnered with Seth Jones and Markus Nutivaara this season.
The one major concern with Murray is injury. He’s struggled to remain healthy for much of his career, playing 320 out of a possible 492 games over the last six seasons. He had last season cut short due to an upper-body injury and played just 56 games and missed the playoffs. The injuries haven’t been the same, so it may just be bad luck.

4. The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline thought the Blue Jackets would be willing to trade Murray and would probably want draft picks in exchange. The Blue Jackets only have third-round and seventh-round picks in the upcoming draft. The Blackhawks aren’t going to part with their No. 3 overall pick, but you would think they’d give up anything else if they were really interested in Murray. The Blackhawks have a second-round pick and two fourth-rounders — maybe a couple draft picks and a couple prospects get the job done, but we’ll see.

Powers: What I'm hearing about the Blackhawks this offseason...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad