Which Canadian Rivalry is the Next Leafs vs Habs?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Montreal/Ottawa is a very real and intense rivalry, although I wonder how much it's going to change with Subban gone now. He used to be the one guy Ottawa loves to hate every time we played but I'm sure it won't take Weber long to get acquainted to the rivalry

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I quite like the Sens/Habs rivalry. Might not be the same without Subban and his on-ice antics, but I'm sure Weber will warm up with his mean streak.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Probably Oilers and flames. The Leafs and Habs is nowhere near a great rivalry like it once was

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Leafs and Habs rivalry wasn't a hockey rivalry. In fact, the Leafs and Habs have only met in the playoffs 2 times in the last 50 years. It was purely a political and cultural rivalry and can no longer be replicated in today's NHL.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Leafs Habs are the next Leafs Habs given the Leafs recent improvements....Ottawa and MTL has really become a lot more spicy as well.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Battle of Alberta is going to be awesome.

Now that my team sucks dink, I can objectively watch this rivalry and not hope for them to both lose. Just appreciate great hockey for what it is.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Leafs/Sabres I have high hopes for a great rivalry there, I want to feel my blood boil when the Sabres win! Right now I don't have any hate for them and actually like Buffalo and their fans. That needs to change :D

People say the Leafs and Habs have no rivalry, but I think there is some desire within each fanbase for the other to fail that is hard to not feel? Sorry, I can't wish for anything but failure for the Habs more than any other team. There's something to that with a very long history.

Leafs/Sens rivalry was great, but died a long time ago. I actually like the Sens these days and wish them good fortune.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I don't think the Calgary and Edmonton rivalry will be big. It won't seem like fun with Calgary riding in the basement for awhile.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
As a Canucks fan, I truly miss seeing Flames and Oilers fans constantly at each others throats. :laugh: I think this will be the best rivalry in the league in 2-3 years.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The issue with the Jets is that they are the only Canadian team without another Canadian team in their division; who they supposed to rival Gary?!

WPG should be in the Pacific. Put ARZ in the Central.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As a Canucks fan, I truly miss seeing Flames and Oilers fans constantly at each others throats. :laugh: I think this will be the best rivalry in the league in 2-3 years.

It's going to get nasty.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
...Gaudreau/Monahan/Bennett/Tkachuk/Hamilton/Brodie vs. McDavid/Eberle/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi/Larsson/Klefbom, those games are going to be fantastic for all hockey fans.

Both Canadian rivalries are going to produce some amazing games and heated playoff battles in the near future, and I'm sure everyone is looking forward to watching it!

Forgetting RNH?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Quebec-Montreal !!!

one day, again.

When the diques get back I hope game one against the habs is vendredi-saint #2. Picking up where we left off. I did not know this, and cannot confirm that it is true but I have heard that many dique fans became boston fans simply to spite the habs. Now that's some grade A animus.

Totonto montreal has been weak sauce for oh so long.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Something that a lot of people aren't aware of : in the francophone community most people aren't in the Leafs rivalry. It's really an english media thing. It's all about Boston, then there is Ottawa because of the recent platoffs. Pens and Lightning too. No playoffs is really killing any kind of rivalry with Toronto.

If Quebec city comes back, even Boston is gonna become secondary.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Calgary Vs Edmonton is shaping out to be a beaut! And I say that as a Leafs fan. That rivalry couldn't be scripted better than us vs Buffalo! Right? I feel the past draft dramatically changed the landscape of Canadian NHL hockey. Yes?

Shaping up?

I think Edmonton/Calgary has been the best rivalry in Canada for a few decades now.

The Leafs/Habs rivalry is very one sided. It's a big deal in Toronto, but in Montreal, it really doesn't register much of a blip. Canadiens fans consider the Bruins a rival, but the Leafs and Canadiens haven't played a game against each other that has mattered for decades and the two teams haven't been good at the same time in decades either.

Calgary and Edmonton, despite respective trips to the Final in the last little while, also haven't played a game against each other that matters in a long time, but their games have always had an intensity and edge to them regardless. For a lot of Canadiens fans, a game against the Leafs is just another game. The English media tries desperately to pretend they are "forever" rivals, and their histories and backgrounds as Canada's Original Six Teams will always have some factor, but this rivalry is more about marketing that what happens on the ice and has been for a long time.

Now, that being said, if these teams got good at the same time, met in the playoffs or battled for a playoff spot, it would be pretty easy to re-spark this thing. It's dormant, not dead.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Montreal vs. Ottawa. In recent years, it's surpassed Montreal vs. Toronto and become Montreal's biggest rivalry after the Bruins.

Edmonton vs. Calgary is obvious as well when both start making the playoffs again.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I don't think the Calgary and Edmonton rivalry will be big. It won't seem like fun with Calgary riding in the basement for awhile.
You forgot the :sarcasm:

And if you're serious I will give you 3-1 odds Calgary isn't in the western basement the next 5 years.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
WPG should be in the Pacific. Put ARZ in the Central.
OMG No!!!!
I gotta get up for work at 04:30am and West Coast Games kill me...I actually loved all those 6:00pm games the Jets used to play on the road when they were in the South East....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad