Which Canadian Rivalry is the Next Leafs vs Habs?

delled

Oct 3, 2009
Calgary Vs Edmonton is shaping out to be a beaut! And I say that as a Leafs fan. That rivalry couldn't be scripted better than us vs Buffalo! Right? I feel the past draft dramatically changed the landscape of Canadian NHL hockey. Yes?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
When the Battle of Alberta is on, it is the best rivalry in the NHL.

Calgary and Edmonton are both building strong teams, look for this rivalry to be off the charts in the coming years.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I'm excited about TOR/BUF and EDM/CGY

OT but TB/FLA should be great games too.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Calgary Vs Edmonton is shaping out to be a beaut!

Shaping up? Our hate goes way back to the mid-80s. We have hated each other even during the post lockout season era, with Oilers fans jealous about our five playoff berths and Flames fans frustrated at the welfare check that is the draft lottery. No love has been lost.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I can't wait for the battle of Alberta, I've spent most of my life with it fizzled out but from what I can remember some of those 90's and early 2000 games were insane. Going through Alberta might be a nightmare for teams in the future.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Shaping up? Our hate goes way back to the mid-80s. We have hated each other even during the post lockout season era, with Oilers fans jealous about our five playoff berths and Flames fans frustrated at the welfare check that is the draft lottery. No love has been lost.

The Battle of Alberta is way better when both teams are competitive.

NHL fans are the ones who win when we both have good teams and battle it out. The intensity and hate is unmatched across the league.

Oct 15, 2008

Five playoff births?

giphy.gif

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Toronto - Buffalo:

- Matthews vs. Eichel (2 future faces of USA hockey going against each other)
- Nylander Brothers (William vs. Alex)
- both teams are building great foundations, Buffalo slightly more along in their rebuild, but Toronto isn't far behind

Calgary - Edmonton:

- both teams had periods over the last 10 years where they were consistently bad, well Edmonton still is :laugh:, but seriously, both teams are build on a strong core of young players, it'll be very fun to watch them take the ice together, talk about Gaudreau/Monahan/Bennett/Tkachuk/Hamilton/Brodie vs. McDavid/Eberle/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi/Larsson/Klefbom, those games are going to be fantastic for all hockey fans.

Both Canadian rivalries are going to produce some amazing games and heated playoff battles in the near future, and I'm sure everyone is looking forward to watching it!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Winnipeg and Edmonton

Laine and Scheifele vs McDavid and Puljujarvi
Byfuglien vs Lucic

Also both young and getting ready to be strong playoff teams going into the future.

It'll be like Washington/Pittsburgh's rivalry, but the difference is they once had an old rivalry and it's coming back together. It'll be a good one!

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Calgary Vs Edmonton is shaping out to be a beaut! And I say that as a Leafs fan. That rivalry couldn't be scripted better than us vs Buffalo! Right? I feel the past draft dramatically changed the landscape of Canadian NHL hockey. Yes?

There won't ever be a Leafs vs Habs rivalry, that rivalry was more than hockey, it was about the French people being treated like 2nd class citizens by the English, it was a clash of people from different cultures and the hate ran deep.

The rivalries today are just about hockey, the Flames-Oilers, will never reach the levels it was in the 80's and early 90's, that was the golden era and I think it is over. The Flames-Oilers will be decent but nothing special, back than, the fighting, physical play made the games, more interesting but now all that as been sucked out of the game.

Subbaman

Character win.
Aug 22, 2012
Montréal, QC
There's no leafs vs habs rivalry anymore. Perhaps some fans still do hate each other but there's little animosity on the ice between both teams, if any.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ottawa vs Montreal has been the best one as of late with 2 playoff series in the last 4 season, each winning 1 a piece.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Tor vs Buff would be it, but Buf aint Canadian.

Also if we are talking about the past 10-15 years, there hasn't really been a Leafs-Habs rivalry.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Tor vs Buff would be it, but Buf aint Canadian.

Also if we are talking about the past 10-15 years, there hasn't really been a Leafs-Habs rivalry.

The closest thing to a rivalry with the Leafs was between 08-11 when the Kostitsyns had beef with Grabovski and Komisarek signed in TO.

Other than that, it's been a pretty dead rivalry IMO.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Leafs vs Habs.

as a habs fan we appreciate the offer but our rivalry card is kind of ful right nowl, so you might want to look elsewhere.

the habs have more of a rivalry with a team no longer in the NHL than we do with the leafs. we kind of view the leafs w.r.t rivalrties in the same bin as columbus.

montreal's list
1. boston
2. nordiques
3. ottawa
4. everybody else ( or nobody else depending on your perspective)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

how can I put this to you

there is this Called Edmonton--down south there is a place called Calgary

right now--it is a dry spell--but for about 12 years

Battle of Alberta vs what do you call the battle of leaf and habs?

The moment the Nords come back--they become the default rivalry for the Habs

Sorry--will get mean--but the leafs/habs rivalry is not like the Battle of Alberta

Habs and Bruins are a bigger rivalry then the leafs

Oct 15, 2008
The Winnipeg Jets will be the best Canadian team for the foreseeable future.

Everyone else will be also rans/ non-contenders.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The Winnipeg Jets will be the best Canadian team for the foreseeable future.

Everyone else will be also rans/ non-contenders.

I find this very hard to believe.

Leafs - Habs is really only older people now. Any fans from the last 10 years won't have any reason to hate the other.

Leafs being good again might spark this up though, especially if they beat them in the playoffs.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Habs-Leafs has like the least hatred between the two teams amongst any other Canadian pairing...

Hell, I find myself cheering for the Leafs sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad