Which Canadian Rivalry is the Next Leafs vs Habs?

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
You clearly have never watched a Montreal-Boston playoff series

Or you're too young to appreciate the Battle of Alberta as it was when the teams were relevant. If they climb to relevancy again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Edm/Cgy games be as intense as some Mtl/Bos games have been.

Plus you have to consider that there haven't been over 90 years of games between Edmonton and Calgary. Mtl/Bos rivalry became a thing because for years they met each other so often. There's animosity and a rivalry between most of the O6 teams, isn't there?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Those saying that Habs/Leafs rivalry is dead don't know jack. I'm ready to say it's sleeping due to, has stated, the fact that those team didn't meet in the playoff for a long time and that they never were good at the same time recently, but it's still there.

Give ONE serie and the rivalry will be epic, bigger than with Ottawa of the Bruins. I only go to the Bell Centre when the Blues are in town, but if I see another game, it's against the Leafs. The hate between both fan base is still there and it's beautiful. As stated, this rivalry is so old and it's deeper than just hockey, it's cultural, it's the cities, it's the language: it's huge.

In fact, even if they are meaninless, almost ALL Habs/Leafs game are always entertaining because of that. No players take an off night during those games and that speaks volume.

Hell, even Georges couldn't let himself be traded to Toronto because he was considering that travesty.

I guess we'll go against everyone, as I agree with you.

Sep 26, 2016
Leafs/Habs must have been epic in it's heyday. Not only Toronto vs. Montreal but English Canada vs. French Canada. Back in the O6 days what team did hockey fans choose to follow? I would imagine Leafs for western Canada and Habs for Québec and the Maritimes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad