Management Which Bruins Fan Grouping Are You In?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I can't seem to make up my mind. I love Loui, he's one of my favorite players and I'd love for him to stay as long as it's not at the expense of Marchand/Spooner/Pastrnak etc. That said, I don't know if it's totally feasible to sign him to a good contract for the Bruins without hurting them elsewhere.

So I'm leaning towards deal him now and get something for him. But I really believe the East is so wide open that it would be silly for the Bruins to fold right now. It's Washington, and then everyone else sucks. But I know it would benefit the Bruins long term to get assets now.

Whichever direction they go, sign, trade, or wait, the only thing I'm sure of is I don't want picks and prospects. I don't think that helps them much. If for whatever reason they can land a top 4 guy (I know it's unlikely) then they should probably make that move and used their other assets to replace Loui.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Trade Loui... he's been great but because of that and being the best piece on the market should yield a nice return. Rebuild the defense and add some pieces now/in the summer and we are good to go.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Same boat

I'll only be okay with dealing Eriksson if

We get a top 4 D via Loui + assests trade & acquire a top 9 winger to replace him....or acquire a younger top 6 winger for Loui +

I will not be happy if we deal Eriksson for a mid 20s pick and a prospect....I know most of our fans will but I can bet if that is our only deadline move....it will cause some problems between our players and management...I can't imagine what Bergeron, Marchand, Z, Rask, etc will think about our front office trading a top 10 NHL winger in Goals and Points for 2...18 year olds who they won't even see for 3-4 more years if ever...when they have the 8th best record in the NHL

you got that right. Wouldn't be surprised if some wanted out, especially after they didnt help them at the deadline last year.

Im not with the 76% here. I want the cup at all costs and Im very proud to say it.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
you got that right. Wouldn't be surprised if some wanted out, especially after they didnt help them at the deadline last year.

Im not with the 76% here. I want the cup at all costs and Im very proud to say.

C'mon now, they are professionals, this is a business, they understand how it works.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Prior to this week, I was firmly in the "deal Eriksson" camp, but now I've flipped back to the "keep him and let him walk" frame of mind.

I'm somewhere between "stand pat" and "keep him and add" camp, so I went with the latter.

However, it feels like the least likely option as if he cannot be extended, I think he's gone.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No, I think it is clear: the majority of the board recognizes that defense, top pairing, is the most anemic part of our roster and they realize that Loui, or assets received by moving him, can help us get that type of player.

I think Loui could get abducted by aliens tonight & Sweeney would still have the assets to acquire a top pairing dman. This notion that the 2 are exclusively tied together is tiring. Whether Loui re-signs, gets traded for a pick, or walks as a UFA, Sweeney still has assets to acquire a Shattenkirk if he were made available in the offseason.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think Loui could get abducted by aliens tonight & Sweeney would still have the assets to acquire a top pairing dman. This notion that the 2 are exclusively tied together is tiring. Whether Loui re-signs, gets traded for a pick, or walks as a UFA, Sweeney still has assets to acquire a Shattenkirk if he were made available in the offseason.

Absolutely.

Great point.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

drops the hammer again, very nice!

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Same boat

I'll only be okay with dealing Eriksson if

We get a top 4 D via Loui + assests trade & acquire a top 9 winger to replace him....or acquire a younger top 6 winger for Loui +

I will not be happy if we deal Eriksson for a mid 20s pick and a prospect....I know most of our fans will but I can bet if that is our only deadline move....it will cause some problems between our players and management...I can't imagine what Bergeron, Marchand, Z, Rask, etc will think about our front office trading a top 10 NHL winger in Goals and Points for 2...18 year olds who they won't even see for 3-4 more years if ever...when they have the 8th best record in the NHL

On the filpside , if they keep Loui and don't address the D I'd have to think those same players who see our defense get shredded consisently would also be pissed.

But for me this isn't about who's happy(Mgmt - playoff gates, Players - feeling window is closing, Fans - gotta have playoff hockey at all costs)
This is all about asset management and making the team better for the long term something our former GM neglected in his latter years. Trading Loui is the right call - what the return is - shows me how this GM learned from the former's mistakes.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

Sure he has the assets , just like I can raid my retirement account and buy a mansion , it doesn't make it the prudent thing to do. If they keep Loui with an extension and trade for a quality Dman it jeopardizes others who need to be resigned (Marchand, Spooner , Pasta) . Putting all your eggs in the basket is what led our former GM to lose his job , I doubt Donnie is eager to put himself into that same situation this early in his tenure.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sure he has the assets , just like I can raid my retirement account and buy a mansion , it doesn't make it the prudent thing to do. If they keep Loui with an extension and trade for a quality Dman it jeopardizes others who need to be resigned (Marchand, Spooner , Pasta) . Putting all your eggs in the basket is what led our former GM to lose his job , I doubt Donnie is eager to put himself into that same situation this early in his tenure.

really? Teams make trades every year that are in our position, this comparison is extreme.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

Fair, but held also not going to empty the cupboard s he has just replenished since it was in great demise beforehand.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
THe poll pretty clearly going in one direction. Move Eriksson for pieces to help acquire a top pairing defenseman now or in the summer. What you get for him now people want to see used directly to get that top pairing player, not simply to draft three times again in the first round.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Can't stand pat and let him walk. They have to move him, but my fear is that they'll resign him to a long term, high dollar value deal just to try and save face over the Seguin disaster.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Need trade Ericksson for best return possible then figure the rest out later option.

Need a "Bruins have the assets to land a top pairing dman regardless if Loui is traded" in the header. As soon as Coach put "top pairing defender" wording in one of the options, it didn't take a genius to figure out which option would get the votes :laugh:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Need a "Bruins have the assets to land a top pairing dman regardless if Loui is traded" in the header. As soon as Coach put "top pairing defender" wording in one of the options, it didn't take a genius to figure out which option would get the votes :laugh:

What you are stating is option 5. 4 votes.

Just take your net and walk back home if you are that upset. We'll use some milk crates as posts.

A vast majority here want to see the Bruins move him for assets that can be used to trade for a top pairing defenseman. They want to see the move IF that means the assets are used for that reason.

Clear as day.

Just like the poll results.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Can't stand pat and let him walk. They have to move him, but my fear is that they'll resign him to a long term, high dollar value deal just to try and save face over the Seguin disaster.

I think it's far likelier they'll re-sign him because he's really good

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
IF you can't sign Loui to a deal that works for the organization you ship him out for the best package you can. I personally don't see us as a serious cup contender and that's the only reason you'd keep Loui around. Trade him to help with Sweeney's re-tool and hopefully help rebuild the defense.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
1 is fantasy land, so I'm a mix of 2 and 6. Keep Loui, add a bridge dman or two, try to re-sign Loui later while always on the lookout for a major upgrade on d.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What you are stating is option 5. 4 votes.

Just take your net and walk back home if you are that upset. We'll use some milk crates as posts.

A vast majority here want to see the Bruins move him for assets that can be used to trade for a top pairing defenseman. They want to see the move IF that means the assets are used for that reason.

Clear as day.

Just like the poll results.

I vote one of:

-Trade Loui + for a top pairing dman now (Shattenkirk?)

if not feasible, I vote option below:

-Keep Loui for playoffs, add a vet dman at deadline, flip Loui's rights for a pick at the draft, use assets to acquire a top pairing dman (Shattenkirk?)

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I vote one of:

-Trade Loui + for a top pairing dman now (Shattenkirk?)

if not feasible, I vote option below:

-Keep Loui for playoffs, add a vet dman at deadline, flip Loui's rights for a pick at the draft, use assets to acquire a top pairing dman (Shattenkirk?)

Ditto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad