Which area should recive the biggest focus in the Sens off season?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ownership.

And merge Neil and Greening into one player. Agreed haha.

That would be one hell of a player!

2006-09-19_191753_dbz-trunks-goten-fusion_1726.jpg

Super Griel

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I hear what you are saying but it would appear that Prince and Claesson are Tim type players and that was the point I was trying to make. It would likely take more but I can see the players I mentioned being the key pieces in a deal between Ottawa and Buffalo.

I doubt the actual return would be much higher for Buffalo but you never know as Tim hasn't been in this position before and nothing at the trade deadline makes that case.

If Tim Murray made any trade of that type he would be fired on the spot. No GM will ever take spare parts (and yes, Claesson and Prince are spare parts, no matter how much we want them to succeed) in a deal for a prospect the calibre of Ekblad.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
-1 left winger for Spezza and Hemsky

-1 defenceman , preferably top 4 and move Phillips to 6th or 7th defenceman

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Based on the way Paul Mac uses his forwards, Colin Greening IS on the top line. Greening, Smith and Neil play more even strength ice time than any other forawrd on the team.

greening is 16th for es toi/g. I don't see how that is first line

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Need to work on extensions for:

Ryan - 8 years
MacArthur - 3-4 years...I see this guy as a future leader on this team.
Spezza - 5 years if possible
Anderson - 3 years, because it's clear that Lehner is nowhere ready to the be the starting goalie for this team right now.

If Spezza is part of the long term plans of this team, then you NEED to re-sign Hemsky.

I'd try and swing a trade for Wiercoch for a solid 3-4 d-man. I think Wiercoch is overrated by some here and his skillset can be replaced by Ceci and Clausson.

I'd see if I can convince Phillips to retire.

Holy crap there will be a short lineup for that! The guys a 6/7 and you want a 3/4. How do you plan on swinging this one?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
tim murray wil not be parting with that first pick.especially for another bad teams scratches and AHLers. realistically if we want that pick we better be ready to offer up lazar turris ceci next years first

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
When your captain don't do defense, your Norris Trohy D man don't do defense, and your old dman and young stud dman can't do defense, you are in trouble.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Turris is pretty good. Melnyk is not going to buy a first liner.

turris is ok, hes gone invisible while playing with the teams two top wingers. for me 1LC is like QB in football. If you have one, don't give it up. and if you don't have one, it should be priority number 1. But this can also be said about #1 D and #1 goalie. but if spezza wants stay no reason to move him unless we are getting absolute quality in return

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When your captain don't do defense, your Norris Trohy D man don't do defense, and your old dman and young stud dman can't do defense, you are in trouble.

agreed all round.. I think all three come back way beter next year though (not even gonna include Phillips)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
tim murray wil not be parting with that first pick.especially for another bad teams scratches and AHLers. realistically if we want that pick we better be ready to offer up lazar turris ceci next years first

Three guys who all were picked in the first round plus next yr's first round pick for this yr's first round pick. So 4 first round picks for one first rd pick. Does that even make any sense? :shakehead

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Three guys who all were picked in the first round plus next yr's first round pick for this yr's first round pick. So 4 first round picks for one first rd pick. Does that even make any sense? :shakehead

wasn't suggestion all in one trade. Although none of the are a first overall..or close

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Try to keep everyone here right now and look to sign a UFA veteran stay-at-home dman who can play 20 minutes

We need more veterans on this team, letting Michalek go doesn't seem like a good idea unless another team is willing to overpay for him on the FA maket

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Not re-signing Michalek instantly makes the team better defensively and saves money.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Our defense with Cowen, Gryba and Phillips is way too slow. They just can't keep up with faster guys and end up taking penalties.

This. We need 4 guys capable of moving the puck up.

We had 4 when we went to the SCF in redden,meszaros, corvo and preissing.

We now have 2 in karlsson and wiercioch and weircioch never plays so we have 1.

Ceci is too young and inexperienced to be counted on in this department. Next year I would count him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Right now there are just too many problems with this team that I don't think one area will solve.

- Ownership is a big problem with this team, Melnyk has to loosen the purse strings a little more, he has to keep his mouth shut & let the people he hires run the team, not him. He has to be less like Jerry Jones & more invisible.

- Management has to be held accountable for the players they have assembled who don't seem to be able to compete hard enough & constantly underperform.

- The coaches also have to be questioned regarding numerous decisions, ice time & player selection, they seem disfunctional at best.

- The players must be held accountable for their lack of effort, for their lack to compete, for their lack of performance & for their overall poor display all yr long.

Maybe what this team needs is to deal one of their two best players this summer either Spezza or Karlsson to shake this team out of whatever quadmire their heads are stuck in. It could be that they all had a very bad season & will come back stronger next yr but it could also be more of the same. Who really knows what to do with these guys? They are a mystery why they can't get up for big games.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
turris is ok, hes gone invisible while playing with the teams two top wingers. for me 1LC is like QB in football. If you have one, don't give it up. and if you don't have one, it should be priority number 1. But this can also be said about #1 D and #1 goalie. but if spezza wants stay no reason to move him unless we are getting absolute quality in return

No one plays 82 good games. At least when Turris isn't getting it done offensively, he's not a liability and can be used as a defensive player.

If Spezza isn't scoring, he's useless and needs to be sheltered hard.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
His contract is going to be over and he isn't going to be looking for a raise

I like him but he's more of a third liner that can fit in the top 6 in case of injury

He's been solid defensively every year except this one so I'm not sold on the idea that he's poor defensively

I always was on the side of trading him but we need him now more than ever

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Someone to play with Karlsson

Someone to play wiith Spezza

Resign Hemsky

Karlsson - ???? <-- This is our main problem, all year long

Method - Ceci

Let everyone else fight it out for this. Best two should be slotted here.

Send Phillips to the moon.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No one plays 82 good games. At least when Turris isn't getting it done offensively, he's not a liability and can be used as a defensive player.

If Spezza isn't scoring, he's useless and needs to be sheltered hard.

I agree turris still gives good defence, my point is that hes not ready to lead a team as its first line center. more than happy with him at the 2nd spot though.
And to spezza sure that's valid, but hes rarely not putting up points.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
We have too many centers and we are going to be getting rid of the wrong ones.
IMO all of these players need to be in the lineup next year:

Spezza
Hemsky
Turris
Zibanejad
Hoffman
Ryan
Macarthur
Stone
DaCosta
Pageau

(michalek gets a fence postion here)

Problem is you have to add 1 of this crew; Greening, Neil, Condra and Smith into the mix, and it ruins everything. Smith since he can only play center, Greening and Neil because they suck, and Condra well he's condra - i like him best out of that lot but frankly they need to find a condra that has better hands.

it sure says something when most of the fan base loathes your 2 assistant captains and the captain has shall we say a love/hate relationship with the fans.

you might get away with one, but when its all 3?
eject Neil and Phillips into space and bolt in a 3rd seat for Greening so he can tag along.

Michalek Spezza Hemsky
Mac Turris Ryan
Hoff Dacosta Stone
Pageau Zibby ?

? = condra, greening, smith or neil.

But above ALL else SIGN OR TRADE FOR A ****ING DEFENCEMAN.
Top 3 guy and overpay if necessary.
id trade half the organization for another top 3 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad