Which area should recive the biggest focus in the Sens off season?

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
For me it has to be coaching. Players making the same mistake all year to me screams of a coaching issue or we just have the dumbest players in the league that don't know how to follow instructions......I've said it all year that this team has no structure.

odhiambo

Apr 12, 2009
Get an assistant coach that specializes in DEFENCE.

It was interesting hearing Denis Potvin highlight that Colorado has specifically recruited Andre Tourigny to coach their "young and inexperienced" defence. He seems to have done a good job!!

We need someone like Andre (perhaps Luke Richardson??) to come and help Paul McLean...

And Dave Cameron needs to go...

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Well, the same coaching staff was able to get things done defensively last year (although goaltending was a crucial factor as well) with a different team, and so it seems that some personnel change could help. And it's not only defensemen, but also forwards who know their defensive assignments and stick to them (looking at you, Michalek and Greening!).

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Let Michalek walk and sign Hemsky.

Offer contract extensions to Spezza and Ryan this summer. If they can't reach a deal with Ryan then call up Philly and try to work something out.

Call Murray in Buffalo and see what they want for Ehrhoff.

Not sure what the UFA market is looking like but maybe find some help on defense there?

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well, the same coaching staff was able to get things done defensively last year (although goaltending was a crucial factor as well) with a different team, and so it seems that some personnel change could help. And it's not only defensemen, but also forwards who know their defensive assignments and stick to them (looking at you, Michalek and Greening!).

Hard to look any further than Spezza if you are going to point fingers at forwards not living up to their defensive responsibilities.

While I am not always happy with Greening and Neil, there is no way to ignore Spezza's -22.

Even since the addition of Hemsky and the explosion of points that line has created, Spezza is a -1, while Hemsky and Michalek are plus.

When the top two producing players on a team have produced 72 ES points and are a combined -37, nobody really has to look much further to see where improvement is required.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
I like everyone else picked the D. I can't think of a suitable comparison but I would love for the Sens to make a trade for a D man similar to the Bobby Ryan trade. Whether they have fallen out of favor with the team or the team can't afford him any more (that would probably mean we can't afford him either). Weir, forward from our roster, and a Bingo prospect? Not sure if they even holds much value right now. We still have a lot of depth so I think the Sens can afford to pull off one more trade of this nature.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Despite hating Michalek most of the year I can see he is finally returning to form from his surgery in the offseason. If we can lock him up at the right price I would like to see him return to Ottawa. No sense in trying to replace him on the market at an inflated UFA cap hit if we can keep him.

Resign Hemsky. Pay UFA value if you have to, but we need to keep him so our T6 doesn't have the Greenings and Condras of the world playing in it.

I agree with calling Buffalo on Ehrhoff, but I think they want Cowen back on the deal which might be a non-starter for Bryan. Just go out and get a T4 D somehow.

Jettison a couple mature prospects that can't break in to the league in Ottawa for some picks. Buffalo again might be a great fit as Tim knows the guys and theoretically likes them.

Even if Melnyk is holding the purse string the cap is going up, and with it the floor. Money will have to be spent.

Zbad

Dec 9, 2013
Stockholm
Is there any millionaire/billionaire who is a sens fan? if so, lets pressure him into buying the team :P

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Get an assistant coach that specializes in DEFENCE.

It was interesting hearing Denis Potvin highlight that Colorado has specifically recruited Andre Tourigny to coach their "young and inexperienced" defence. He seems to have done a good job!!

We need someone like Andre (perhaps Luke Richardson??) to come and help Paul McLean...

And Dave Cameron needs to go...

What Denis failed to mention is the "young inexperienced defense" from Colorado isn't that young or inexperienced.

The Avs have utilized their experienced D quite liberally and yesterday was no exception. Colorado used 7D Sunday, average age of the group 29.2 with 4 D 30 or older. Ottawa's D had an average age of 25.8, with Phillips being the only guy over 30.

So there is young and then there is Ottawa's D.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the coaching, it takes time for kids to develop and the Sens D isn't being shelter by 4 experienced D 30 or over.

People are forgetting this is a rebuild, it takes time and the Senators are attempting to do it on a budget.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Our defense with Cowen, Gryba and Phillips is way too slow. They just can't keep up with faster guys and end up taking penalties.

Calorissi

Jan 16, 2004
Manotick
Trade Weircotch, Claesson, Prince and Greening to Buffalo for Stewart and Buffalo's First Overall
Select Eckblad with the pick.
Resign Hemsky and resign Michalek if the price is right ($3/yr).
Give Lazar a shot to see if he is ready.
Sign a veteran defensive D UFA

Go into next year with:

Michalek - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - ZBad - Stewart
Condra - Smith - Lazar
Kassian, Neil

Karlsson - Methot
Cowan/UFA - Ceci
Philips - Eckblad
Gryba

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Despite hating Michalek most of the year I can see he is finally returning to form from his surgery in the offseason. If we can lock him up at the right price I would like to see him return to Ottawa. No sense in trying to replace him on the market at an inflated UFA cap hit if we can keep him.

Resign Hemsky. Pay UFA value if you have to, but we need to keep him so our T6 doesn't have the Greenings and Condras of the world playing in it.I agree with calling Buffalo on Ehrhoff, but I think they want Cowen back on the deal which might be a non-starter for Bryan. Just go out and get a T4 D somehow.

Jettison a couple mature prospects that can't break in to the league in Ottawa for some picks. Buffalo again might be a great fit as Tim knows the guys and theoretically likes them.

Even if Melnyk is holding the purse string the cap is going up, and with it the floor. Money will have to be spent.

Based on the way Paul Mac uses his forwards, Colin Greening IS on the top line. Greening, Smith and Neil play more even strength ice time than any other forawrd on the team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Trade Weircotch, Claesson, Prince and Greening to Buffalo for Stewart and Buffalo's First Overall Select Eckblad with the pick.

Go into next year with:

Hoffman - ZBad - Stewart
Condra - Smith - Lazar
Kassian, Neil

Karlsson - Methot
Cowan/UFA - Ceci
Philips - Eckblad
Gryba

Tim Murray would hang up the phone. No chance Buffalo accepts our garbage for their first overall pick

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Trade Weircotch, Claesson, Prince and Greening to Buffalo for Stewart and Buffalo's First Overall
Select Eckblad with the pick.

Go into next year with:

Hoffman - ZBad - Stewart
Condra - Smith - Lazar
Kassian, Neil

Karlsson - Methot
Cowan/UFA - Ceci
Philips - Eckblad
Gryba

Is this sarcasm?

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Fire BM and the coaching staff. Enough is enough. What a bunch of under performing bums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad