Which area should recive the biggest focus in the Sens off season?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ducks fan/Bobby Ryan fan coming in peace. Why is Ryan the elephant in the room for you guys and what would be the point of moving him? Or was that sarcasm and I look like a fool now?

People haven't been happy with his performance. Even though hes obviously playing through an unreported injury.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ducks fan/Bobby Ryan fan coming in peace. Why is Ryan the elephant in the room for you guys and what would be the point of moving him? Or was that sarcasm and I look like a fool now?

He's having a rough year and he's clearly got a serious injury he's playing through

But, most importantly, will he want to sign an extension?

That's the big thing for us: he's going to be sought after and we get one year where we can extend him; if not we trade him and get, hopefully, a nice return

I think most of us want him to stay but, personnaly, I wouldn't think less of him if he didn't want to stay considering how poorly this year has gone

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He wanted to be a go-to guy in Ottawa

We're fighting for a playoff spot

He needs to play through injury to be a go-to guy

Oct 10, 2010
Defense,Defense,Defense,Defense,Defense,Defense, MOTHER ****ING DEFENSE!!!

Everything else needs to be put on hold until the DEFENSE gets figured out.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
We have too many centers and we are going to be getting rid of the wrong ones.
IMO all of these players need to be in the lineup next year:

Spezza
Hemsky
Turris
Zibanejad
Hoffman
Ryan
Macarthur
Stone
DaCosta
Pageau

(michalek gets a fence postion here)

Problem is you have to add 1 of this crew; Greening, Neil, Condra and Smith into the mix, and it ruins everything. Smith since he can only play center, Greening and Neil because they suck, and Condra well he's condra - i like him best out of that lot but frankly they need to find a condra that has better hands.

it sure says something when most of the fan base loathes your 2 assistant captains and the captain has shall we say a love/hate relationship with the fans.

you might get away with one, but when its all 3?
eject Neil and Phillips into space and bolt in a 3rd seat for Greening so he can tag along.

Michalek Spezza Hemsky
Mac Turris Ryan
Hoff Dacosta Stone
Pageau Zibby ?

? = condra, greening, smith or neil.

But above ALL else SIGN OR TRADE FOR A ****ING DEFENCEMAN.
Top 3 guy and overpay if necessary.
id trade half the organization for another top 3 guy.

Smith is a good bot 6 player so he is worth keeping around. Condra greening and neil will cost the sens the likes of prince, da costa, stone, puempel and/or jgp.

Its funny, all those years when this team didn't have a farm system to fall back on were nightmarish. But now that they do, they opt to play condra, neil, phillips and greening type guys over younger kids.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Defense needs a complete overhaul.

Karlsson is one of the best defenders in the game, but he can't do everything. He needs to be insulated with the right supporting cast so he can do what he does best.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Add the 2-way, puckmoving, minute eating #2 d-man to play 23 mins a night and see what happens. It's such a big hole on this team right now, it would probably have a major effect on the team's results.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't like Ryan but I gave spezza a pass for his first 40 games of the season because of injury. I'll give the same to Ryan for his last forty games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Add the 2-way, puckmoving, minute eating #2 d-man to play 23 mins a night and see what happens. It's such a big hole on this team right now, it would probably have a major effect on the team's results.

Seriously anOther twenty minutes of puck possession when karlsson isn't on the ice would work wonders.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
We have the pieces to make a trade to acquire an experienced Defenseman - oh, wait - that was Phillips. And that problem will stick for two more years with his NMC. Probably cost us big time.

The other pieces are there, if we could get Richardson up here to organize them. Both Claesson and Wikstrand should get a long look, along with Borowiecki.

In the long term, Karlsson - Claesson would work well

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I know we need help on the backend but that's only half the problem. We need a better defensive coach to give the team a working structure.

Whoever decision it is to use Phillips on special teams (aside from the PK) deserves to be canned. In no way should he ever see PP time or be used in 4 on 4 action.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I know we need help on the backend but that's only half the problem. We need a better defensive coach to give the team a working structure.

Whoever decision it is to use Phillips on special teams (aside from the PK) deserves to be canned. In no way should he ever see PP time or be used in 4 on 4 action.

I was thinking of the same thing. I'll start of thread

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

And yet last year when I suggested we trade for Bouwmeester, you were adamantly opposed to that idea.

Could have offered Calgary better pieces than St. Louis did, and a sub 5 million dollar contract could have been signed (with a few casualties). I still don't understand why we didn't make a play for him.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
And yet last year when I suggested we trade for Bouwmeester, you were adamantly opposed to that idea.

Could have offered Calgary better pieces than St. Louis did, and a sub 5 million dollar contract could have been signed (with a few casualties). I still don't understand why we didn't make a play for him.

He's still making $6.7M this season and isn't anywhere close to being worth that. I'm not even all that impressed with the new $5.4M deal, though that is much closer to reality. If he were on the UFA market and ever would have accepted the $4-5M that he's worth, sure. But his name has always been hyped over his game and he gets overpaid because of it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Re-sign UFA Ales Hemsky. Elite offensive talent and creativity, responsible defensively and effortless skater. Can hold the puck for a while and bring possession, replaces Alfredsson is some manner. Only 30 y/o. We need to sign him to a 4-5 years deal

Get another Clarke MacArthur type of forward, someone who backchecks hard and is very responsible defensively. Or is the answer internal? Lazar?

Michalek needs a fresh start and change of scenery. Let him walk, try to trade him for a pick (ala Gonchar). Michalek backchecks hard but sometimes miss his assignements in the defensive zone and we get burned. He's like cursed or something (particularly offensively), needs a change

I believe Da Costa needs to be on this team. Hockey's IQ, vision, skill, shot. The guy is better and better every time he gets called up and is proving that he can play in the physical NHL. Could be an elite 3rd line center (if he can improves on face-offs) or even a 2nd line center. Could be a mini Datsyuk

Bobby Ryan really needs a proper off-season training and a fresh start. Has not been the same since the Burke incident. As always, **** You Burkie. But hopefully, we can extend him this summer so in the end, he cost less money after a season below what he is able to do.

I think Lazar will not give the choice to the team and make the show as soon as next year. His progression curve, work ethic and overall package is impressive. Put him in a position to succeed right away, with Turris and MacA

Trade Greening in a package for a veteran D-man (who has a big salary). Even buy him out if no takers. Guy regressed big time when he should have went the opposite before his next contract kicks in (ok fellas, he's not overpaid yet). But some teams might still believe he could be an excellent 3rd line player with size and speed producing 30-35 pts a year without PP time (a bit like he was prior to this season). But to me, he is frustrating to watch play, too many plays die on his stick and while he looks on verge on being a very dependable player in some games, where is the consistency? Where's the fire?

Wiercioch + Greening + Hoffman/Da Costa/Prince could net us a solid veteran D-Man? But who?

OR try to sign UFA Nikita Nikitin or Nick Schultz or Henrik Tallinder

On Defense, we're dependant on the progression of the young core. Karlsson, Cowen and Ceci are the future of this blue-line. The team will take the next step when they do.

Let's see what Cowen can do next year with a fresh start, a proper off-season training and camp preparation. Same for Karlsson, he will be finally 100% healthy and has to up his 2-way game. He's a generational talent, he can still elevate his game. Ceci is a beauty, Methot is solid but like most of the team, needs a fresh start, a new season. Phillips is there for veteran presence, leadership, experience and the sense of belonging to this team. A lot of important factors that younger fans/posters might not understand. However, they have to limit his role and not be as dependant on him as they are this season (no PP, no OT, 3rd pairing exclusively). Play him in not all games and in a defensive role exclusively, so he can focus on PK assignments. Borowiecki will bring physicality and could be a reliable shutdown D-man. The UFA or guy we acquire in a trade needs to be a veteran who can calm things down and help bring stability to this young blueline.

Lehner has to progress next year and show he is close to take over Anderson's job. Has to work on rebound control, composure and overall focus (bad goals from bad angles for example)

==========================

Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Ales Hemsky ($4.000m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Curtis Lazar ($0.925m)
Mike Hoffman ($0.900m) / Stephane Da Costa ($0.900m) / Mika Zibanejad ($0.894m)
Erik Condra ($1.250m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Mark Stone ($0.603m) /

Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Nikita Nikitin ($3.500m) / Cody Ceci ($0.894m)
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Mark Borowiecki ($0.575m)
Chris Phillips ($2.500m)

Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($1.200m)

------

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,366,667; BONUSES: $1,955,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $11,733,333

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Defense; I'd like to see Spezza + Zibanejad + Cowen to Phoenix for Keith Yandle, a 2014 1st and a good forward prospect.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

this really cant be overstated.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Who would you target?

I've looked at the list of UFAs and the pickings, they be slim

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
This. We need 4 guys capable of moving the puck up.

We had 4 when we went to the SCF in redden,meszaros, corvo and preissing.

We now have 2 in karlsson and wiercioch and weircioch never plays so we have 1.

Ceci is too young and inexperienced to be counted on in this department. Next year I would count him.

Agreed completely, which is kind of hilarious considering Maclean wants us to play like Detroit.

Our defensive core doesn't work with our offensive core. They aren't compatible. We need four strong puck movers.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Michalek - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Zibanejad
Lazar - Smith - Condra

Boyle - Karlsson
Methot - Edler
Phillips - Ceci
Gryba

Something around Cowen + Neil + Wiercioch for Edler would be okay with me. Highly doubt Cowen or Neil will be moved but that is my suggestion.

I think Lazar could be ready to play next year. He can start on the fourth line and work his way up. I also think Pageau needs/deserves to be a regular here next season.

Sign boyle maybe? If not hold onto Weircioch.

(D lines are completely interchangeable but I would be happy with those 7 guys as our core)

EDIT: sorry for the triple post :$

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad