Which American cities are most like Canadian ones?

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Hasbro said:
I've heard Windsor called the worst place in Canada. If that is the case it would make it exaclty like Detroit.

Yeah, I dont think Windsor is one of the worst places in Canada at all.

-One of the lowest murder rates in Canada....even though we live across from Detroit.
-Many cultural events and many nationalities that live here.
-One of the highest grossing average incomes for adults in Canada.
-Automotive capital of Canada (probably shared by Oshawa now)
-Yeah air sucks here but its the same from New York, To Detroit, To Toronto....the pollution is usually pushed up into our area.
-Safe area to live.
-Many schools, colleges, universities.
-One of the best partying zones (downtown strip)
-Pretty historic area with battles that occured on the waterfront etc
-Detroit River which is a key cog in the econonmy. Many ships pass through daily.
-Sports teams (OHL, all kinds of JR B/C teams, Football leagues etc)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
sec17 said:
Night and day. Pittsburgh is lovely, set in the mountains, three rivers surrounding the downtown, new buildings, interesting architecture. Hamilton is a factory-glutted hole.
i've never been to hamilton but i don't see the similarity either, at least judging from pictures.
hamilton
[IMAGE]http://www.go-steeltown.com/hamilton_ontario/IM000910.jpg[/IMAGE]
pittsburgh
[IMAGE]http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/d30-28/pittsburgh-downtown-skyline-night.jpg[/IMAGE]

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
SpItFiReZ said:
Yeah, I dont think Windsor is one of the worst places in Canada at all.

-One of the lowest murder rates in Canada....even though we live across from Detroit.
-Many cultural events and many nationalities that live here.
-One of the highest grossing average incomes for adults in Canada.
-Automotive capital of Canada (probably shared by Oshawa now)
-Yeah air sucks here but its the same from New York, To Detroit, To Toronto....the pollution is usually pushed up into our area.
-Safe area to live.
-Many schools, colleges, universities.
-One of the best partying zones (downtown strip)
-Pretty historic area with battles that occured on the waterfront etc
-Detroit River which is a key cog in the econonmy. Many ships pass through daily.
-Sports teams (OHL, all kinds of JR B/C teams, Football leagues etc)

Add one of the more temperate areas in Canada. Maybe not great for outdoor hockey but a heck of alot nicer than winter in Ottawa.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Woprst place I've been in Canada is Clearwater, BC. Beautiful scenery, but it was like being in the live studio audiance of COPS!

awful lot like Mississippi.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Hasbro said:
Woprst place I've been in Canada is Clearwater, BC. Beautiful scenery, but it was like being in the live studio audiance of COPS!

awful lot like Mississippi.

Did you at least venture into Wells Gray Provincial Park, that starts at Clearwater. I was there a week and only ventured into town a couple times as there was way to much to do in the Park. One of the most beautiful spots I've ever seen

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Murphy2 said:
Did you at least venture into Wells Gray Provincial Park, that starts at Clearwater. I was there a week and only ventured into town a couple times as there was way to much to do in the Park. One of the most beautiful spots I've ever seen
Not much which is a point of contention. That town though... I liked Kamloops better.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i've never been to hamilton but i don't see the similarity either, at least judging from pictures.
hamilton
[IMAGE]http://www.go-steeltown.com/hamilton_ontario/IM000910.jpg[/IMAGE]
pittsburgh
[IMAGE]http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/d30-28/pittsburgh-downtown-skyline-night.jpg[/IMAGE]

Hamilton is the armpit of southern Ontario.. an armpit that was playing hockey all day and didn't shower. It actually stinks (really, it does), all one way streets, and did I mention that it stinks?

On the 'pop' issue.. I once drove down to South Carolina with friends and everytime I asked for a pop they would look at me like I had two heads and say "do you mean soda?" And don't get me started on tea.. I didn't realize that the southern states don't have "hot" tea.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
shakes said:
Hamilton is the armpit of southern Ontario.. an armpit that was playing hockey all day and didn't shower. It actually stinks (really, it does), all one way streets, and did I mention that it stinks?

On the 'pop' issue.. I once drove down to South Carolina with friends and everytime I asked for a pop they would look at me like I had two heads and say "do you mean soda?" And don't get me started on tea.. I didn't realize that the southern states don't have "hot" tea.
Usual everyone there just calls them coke.

The reverse in London they didn't have ice tea except for at Starbuck which charge Starbucks prices for them.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
shakes said:
Pittsburgh used to have a reputation for being a dirty city in the 1960's and 1970's because of the steel industry in and around the city. It's a really nice city now.

I only passed by Hamilton, so I can't comment on how it. I will say that nothing bad stood out in my mind as I went from Toronto to Niagara Falls.

shakes said:
I stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts in Virginia a few years ago to get some coffee while driving from New Jersey to Florida. There was a family from New Hampshire ahead of me on line, and the mom asked for ice-coffee, which northern Dunkin' Donuts had just introduced at the time, or atleast began a strong promotional campaign. The young lady behind the counter said, "I can put some ice in the cup of coffee."

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
One time at a lacrosse tournament near Buffalo the guy I was playing against was like: "So, you guys play hacky?"

And I was like: "Like...hacky sack?"

And he was like: "No, ice hacky"

And I was like: "man, you talk funny"

Also, one of the refs informed my buddy that he would become his "worst nightmare" if he didn't shut up.

However, my only real regret from that tournament was not meeting Celino and Barnes.

Last edited:

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
David Puddy said:
I only passed by Hamilton, so I can't comment on how it. I will say that nothing bad stood out in my mind as I went from Toronto to Niagara Falls.
That's funny, since that's actually the worst view of it... all the slag piles around the steel mills obscure the entire skyline. Plus the fumes belching from the smokestacks 24/7. Good times.

And the poster above was right - it does stink. Worst air ever - I used to get sick running 2 blocks to catch a bus (and I'm not that out of shape).

geezette

Jun 9, 2006
30 yrs in the minors
Been through all the states and nearly all the provinces. It has to be Buffalo as a city that could slide right in. Almost any city in Maine could be a Canadian maritime city as well.

If you are doing city matching:
How about Toronto and Miami? For some reason, San Antonio and Ottawa remind me of each other (at least some parts) . Des Moines, Iowa has a kinship to Winnipeg, although Winipeg is larger.
I am most terribly fond of Victoria B.C. even though it's slogan is "for the nearly dead or newly wed". I can't match it with anywhere. The most beautiful place I've been in North America is Banff. You all need to go there one time in your life. Wilderness with good restaurants.
All San Diego needs to be the perfect place to live is affordable housing and an NHL team. Someting about Calgary reminded me of S.D.
Must be both cities work to perserve their past for future genertions.

andreydali19

They're relentless
Jun 19, 2006
Liv. of Mich.
Once most of the architecture gets tidied up (or knocked down depending on how bad it is), you'd probably have to count the Det' alongside Edmonton. And of course its obviously it's parallel to Windsor in factors other than geographical location, much like what some people said earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad