Which American cities are most like Canadian ones?

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
MassiveHabs said:
I would say boston and Halifax, and they do have a pretty big history with each other

Those two are fairly close, but I'd say Boston is more like a boring version of Montreal.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
David Puddy said:
The only thing that was strange to me was when I was heading to the border at Niagara Falls, I stopped for gas. After I went in to pay, I grabbed a couple of bottles of Dr. Pepper because I still had a fairly long drive to get to Niagara Falls. The girl at the register said, "Just the two bottles of pop." I had once heard a friend of my brother call soda "soda pop" when I was really young, but it was the first time I ever heard someone say "pop." I knew that it was the word used for soda in some regions, but it sounded unusual the first time I heard it uttered.

Yeah, I've never heard anyone here call it 'soda'. I thought it sounded unsual too when I first heard my relatives in the States calling it that.

Transported Upstater

David Puddy said:
I visited Toronto a few years ago, and I honestly couldn't say that it seemed like a foreign city to me. At one point, it reminded me of an uneventful New York City. Maybe it reminded me of someplace like the Upper West Side close to the Hudson River or something. It is one of the reasons that Toronto is often used as the filming location for movies set in New York City.

I drove from Detroit to Toronto then, and the rural/suburban parts of Ontario made me think that I could have been taken there and told that I was in parts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts or Ohio, and I would have believed it.

The only thing that was strange to me was when I was heading to the border at Niagara Falls, I stopped for gas. After I went in to pay, I grabbed a couple of bottles of Dr. Pepper because I still had a fairly long drive to get to Niagara Falls. The girl at the register said, "Just the two bottles of pop." I had once heard a friend of my brother call soda "soda pop" when I was really young, but it was the first time I ever heard someone say "pop." I knew that it was the word used for soda in some regions, but it sounded unusual the first time I heard it uttered.

Montreal and the southern portion of Province de Quebec certainly did seem like I was in another world. Even the design of the side of the highways and the farms let me know I was in a different country. Besides the just simply the French language, the culture and architecture also reminded me of France.

Montreal reminds me of pre-Katrina New Orleans, Louisiana, specifically the French Quarter, because of the French influence on the respective cities.

Wouldn't Vancouver be in the Pacific Southwest?

The "soda" to "pop" thing starts to mix around Rochester. West of Rochester, you'll hear both "pop" and "soda", and once you get to Buffalo, more people say "pop" than "soda."

You'll basically never hear "pop" east of Rochester.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
van-sf ( I think Van is more like Berkeley or Minny-StPaul, SF is waay too gay and Mexican now to be compared to Van, tho there are a lot of Asians in both places)

tor-nyc (I don't see it myself. I think Brooklyn and Queens are a lot like Montreal and Toronto because there are so many minorities and a lot of Brooklyn looks like Montreal - very similar brick and iron...nothing compares to Manhattan imo)

mtl-bos (yes, some of the architecture, definitely not the people tho, lots of jerks in both towns but they are different types of jerks imo)

vcx*

Vancouver is like San fran? **** no.

Vancouver - Seattle
Edm - 8 mile road Detroit
Toronto - NYC

KariyaIsGod*

TransportedUpstater said:
For some reason, Pittsburgh and Hamilton remind me of each other.

Both towns are built on the back of the steel industry. That's why.

Transported Upstater

Dark Metamorphosis said:
hamilton is about 1/5 the size though.

Hamilton's decently sized; I'm pretty sure around 500,000 people or so.

I've been to Hamilton many more times than I've been to Pittsburgh, however, so I coudln't tell you how big Pittsburgh was.

Ogopogo*

hotwheels said:
Vancouver is like San fran? **** no.

Vancouver - Seattle
Edm - 8 mile road Detroit
Toronto - NYC

LOL.

I have seen the Downtown East Side in Vancouver. You have mixed things up a little.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Spitfire11 said:
And we think Americans need history lessons..... :shakehead

Re the "province of Alaska becoming the State of Alaska"

Well yes, Alaska was purchased by the US from Russia but have any of you actually looked at a map? The only way to drive here is a very long drive...through Canada. This state, while fully American, has many Canadian ties. Lots of Canadian hockey players at UAF and UAA. Many of them stay on after school. Out in rural AK, the grocery chain, called Alaskan Commercial, is owed by Canadians. And Canadian change (pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters) are taken at equal value at most stores.

It's not Canada, but similar in some ways (including weather).

Edit: I forgot to mention that the ECHL champions the Anchorage Aces had the highest attendance of all league teams for the year by a huge margin. Now that's the Canadian influence. :)

vcx*

Ogopogo said:
LOL.

I have seen the Downtown East Side in Vancouver. You have mixed things up a little.

Have YOU seen the downtown East Side in Vancouver? Talk about misinformed. Try major condo developments and a major overhaul.

Now go back to your daily veiwing of FUBAR, the daily bible movie of how to be an Edmontonian.

Go Cane's go.

And again....

DeaEdmonton - 8 Mile Road, Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
hotwheels said:
Have YOU seen the downtown East Side in Vancouver? Talk about misinformed. Try major condo developments and a major overhaul.

Now go back to your daily veiwing of FUBAR, the daily bible movie of how to be an Edmontonian.

Go Cane's go.

And again....

All this is intended to be, is an insult to Edmonton, its hardly comparable to the worse part of Detroit.

KariyaIsGod*

hotwheels said:

Go Cane's go.

And again....

Vancouver is some sort of utopia?

:biglaugh:

Same as any other city.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
HABitual said:
They are both considered "steel cities" :teach:

So was Buffalo, which reminds me of advice my uncle gave out on choosing a wife.
She may only be the steelworker's daughter, but you should see the pig iron.

vcx*

DrMoses said:
Vancouver is some sort of utopia?

:biglaugh:

Same as any other city.

Did it take you a while to think that up? Vancouver isn't the greatest city but the last time i checked, Tourism Canada had us pretty high for cities to visit. This City isn't really that special, but it has some great places to eat, great scenery, the "hastings" issue isn't as big as people thought it used to be. Landing the Olympics has made the city change quite a bit, but damn is this city not prepared for the traffic that the olympics will bring.

Seattle and Vancouver are pretty similar - response to the original question.

bastone

Mar 24, 2005
Dutch said:
I guess Boston and Montreal kind of look like each other.

True but the night life is much much better in Montreal.Evrything in Boston closes at like 11pm.Here in Montreal we don't go out before 12am

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
hotwheels said:
Did it take you a while to think that up? Vancouver isn't the greatest city but the last time i checked, Tourism Canada had us pretty high for cities to visit. This City isn't really that special, but it has some great places to eat, great scenery, the "hastings" issue isn't as big as people thought it used to be. Landing the Olympics has made the city change quite a bit, but damn is this city not prepared for the traffic that the olympics will bring.

Seattle and Vancouver are pretty similar - response to the original question.
again, i disagree, vancouver and seattle aren't as similar as portland and Vancouver.

Seattle is ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->