Which Admirals will start in the NHL this year

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Camp opens on Saturday, says Eric Stephens.

I wonder how many guys will be called up, since it will be a short camp plus Norfolk can't stand to lose too many guys(but idk their schedule).

I'd imagine that's why Boudreau is in Norfolk right now, to see who deserves at least a look with the big club.

Stephens also said it's unlikely that there will be an exhibition game which doesn't help Boudreau much. I guess for the guys in the AHL, their season so far has been their audition for NHL jobs. I only anticipate a handful of guys being called up, Norfolk still needs to ice a team that Saturday.

I think I saw a Pig Fly, oh no wait that was Palmieri starting in the NHL, from the worst team in the AHL to the best team in the NHL LOL

Why exactly wouldn't Palmieri be starting in the NHL? Just because the Admirals suck it doesn't mean they can't have any NHL calibre players.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Stephens also said it's unlikely that there will be an exhibition game which doesn't help Boudreau much. I guess for the guys in the AHL, their season so far has been their audition for NHL jobs. I only anticipate a handful of guys being called up, Norfolk still needs to ice a team that Saturday.

Of course there will be exhibition games...we're just expected to pay regular season prices and they will count in the standings. :biglaugh:

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think I saw a Pig Fly, oh no wait that was Palmieri starting in the NHL, from the worst team in the AHL to the best team in the NHL LOL

Ouch Admiral Al. Not sure what is happening in Norfolk, but it could be many things.

Someone is going to get a call up since we do not have enough players currently on the NHL roster. I am guessing if no one dazzles in camp then we will sign a free agent.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
id be surprised a bit surprised if holland didn't start with the ducks. i'd like to see him with the 2a/2b line thats been proposed here.. i think him with ryan and palmieri could work. i originally thought putting him in between ryan and selanne but selanne likes playing with some speed, hollands not a bad skater by any means but i wouldn't call him fast

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
id be surprised a bit surprised if holland didn't start with the ducks. i'd like to see him with the 2a/2b line thats been proposed here.. i think him with ryan and palmieri could work. i originally thought putting him in between ryan and selanne but selanne likes playing with some speed, hollands not a bad skater by any means but i wouldn't call him fast

Let's not forget how productive he was with Rucchin. Yes, I'm aware who his linemate was and that it was a different era of hockey. I think if anything Teemu benefits from someone who can create time and space for him. Whether that be with a physical linemate, a smart linemate, or a speedy linemate.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
With a shortened season id like to see a lot of our young guys get a chance especially with the possibility of players we could end up losing in the offseason.

Would love to see holland, bonino, etem, palmeiri, wagner and dsp get fair looks on the forward side of the roster. I think Palmeiri holland bonino and dsp will be long term stays this season.

Defense id love to see vatanan/lindholm get their shots... not sure if either will make the team but a trial would be nice, and a good learning experience, lindholm already plays with men, and is a good size so i think hell transition well.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
With a shortened season id like to see a lot of our young guys get a chance especially with the possibility of players we could end up losing in the offseason.

Would love to see holland, bonino, etem, palmeiri, wagner and dsp get fair looks on the forward side of the roster. I think Palmeiri holland bonino and dsp will be long term stays this season.

Defense id love to see vatanan/lindholm get their shots... not sure if either will make the team but a trial would be nice, and a good learning experience, lindholm already plays with men, and is a good size so i think hell transition well.

At the end of this "shortened" season they will award the Stanley Cup, just like every year before. Why in the world should we be treating it like it's all pre-season? No way. It's not a 48 game tryout camp. I want the 20 players who give us the best chance to win, dressed every night.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At the end of this "shortened" season they will award the Stanley Cup, just like every year before. Why in the world should we be treating it like it's all pre-season? No way. It's not a 48 game tryout camp. I want the 20 players who give us the best chance to win, dressed every night.
I think our younger players give us the best chance either way, and would like to give them a chance to prove they can earn a starting spot.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think our younger players give us the best chance either way, and would like to give them a chance to prove they can earn a starting spot.

DSP spent all last year in ANA. His situation is not so much like the others. Bonino has already been with the team so of course he deserves a chance again this year. The same could about be said for Palmieri too although he didn't play as much as Bonino. And Holland deserves a long look because he he's earned the look and the team has a desperate need for a solid #2C.

Vatanen, Lindholm, Etem, and Wagner have no business starting the season in ANA. If they play well in the A maybe they can be injury call ups. But they don't get called up because we want to see how they look in the NHL. Like I said before, it isn't a 48 game tryout camp. The best 20 guys need to dress every night for all 48 games.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
DSP spent all last year in ANA. His situation is not so much like the others. Bonino has already been with the team so of course he deserves a chance again this year. The same could about be said for Palmieri too although he didn't play as much as Bonino. And Holland deserves a long look because he he's earned the look and the team has a desperate need for a solid #2C.

Vatanen, Lindholm, Etem, and Wagner have no business starting the season in ANA. If they play well in the A maybe they can be injury call ups. But they don't get called up because we want to see how they look in the NHL. Like I said before, it isn't a 48 game tryout camp. The best 20 guys need to dress every night for all 48 games.

Completely agree. Well said

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
DSP - 100% - Exactly the type of third-line player we have sorely missed since Sammy left. Strong on the defensive end, can chip in the odd goal and has a certain physical presence.

Palmieri - 95% - His physical play still bothers me a bit, but if he can develop a bit more in that area, I think he'll be a bonafide second-line player in no time. If not, he'll be just like Mason Raymond and add some much-needed scoring depth in the bottom six.

Vatanen - 70% - Has matured physically, but still won't win a physical play for the sake of his life. Nevertheless, he has a certain grittyness in him that will allow him to shine in the NHL before long despite his small size. Probably the best puck-moving defenseman in the franchise behind Fowler. (And no, I don't count Sbisa as a PMD)

Holland - 70% - He's not as good as we hoped him to become, but still a viable option for the #3 center spot of ours. Outsmarts most opponents, which could give him the edge centering a third line along Cogliano and DSP. That'd be a great two-way line with both speed and grit that should drop in 30 or so goals in a season.

Guenin - 65% - He is all-around solid, but that's also his flaw: he does not excel at any single part of the game above average except for maybe his (back-)checking. Could be our journeyman.

Maroon - 60% - Could become our long-term solution to a feisty, hard-working fourth line winger who can give hell to the opponents and give the top six a break.

McMillan - 40% - I just can't figure out this player. He certainly has the tool set and the frame to become a full-time NHLer, and probably a top-six winger for most of his career as well. He just doesn't seem to understand this quite yet and doesn't take advantage of his talents. Definitely needs some seasoning in the AHL, could probably be a full-time AHLer next season as well. But if he is able to progress during that time, he'll be a nice depth-scoring winger from 2014/15 on.

Etem - 15% - Definitely needs some maturing and seasoning in the AHL before making the transition to the NHL. Shows flashes of greatness in him and should become a league-wide threat in about one year's time. Future first-liner, without a doubt. But he's not quite ready yet, especially on a nightly basis.

Clark - 10% - Virtually not an option at all - yet. Might become a short-term journeyman once s* hits the fan and we have some injuries on our defensive end.

Wagner - ??% - I seriously never really noticed this guy as one of our "good" prospects, so I'll reserve my comment on him until I actually see him play often enough.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Ever since someone suggested it on the trade board, I've been thinking we could bring AndyMac back. He only has a few months left on his contract, and we need a LW. Maybe he could mentor a fellow Colgate alum.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
First we have to realize what are our needs and then it`ll be clearer who might end up in OC. A center and LW.

That might give us Devo, if he can play left side, and Holland or Pelly (for 4th line). Personally i`d like to get a free agent Top6LW and Bottom9/Middle6C, but we all know how ''possible'' it will be.

I just can`t see a spot for Palmieri right now

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Ever since someone suggested it on the trade board, I've been thinking we could bring AndyMac back. He only has a few months left on his contract, and we need a LW. Maybe he could mentor a fellow Colgate alum.

He has a No trade clause. Maybe he would waive it to come back to Anaheim (doubtful since he's on a contender), but I don't think the Blues would ask him to waive it anyways. When he's healthy he's their best offensive player and he's usually good in the playoffs. No reason for a contender like the Blues to trade him at this point, at least not for picks and prospects which is probably what the Ducks could offer. Should he not re-sign with the Blues, the Ducks should have a good chance at getting him in the summer though.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
They have a ton of talent moving in at the wings. They also need an LHD, which we happen to have one of in the same contract situation.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
They have a ton of talent moving in at the wings. They also need an LHD, which we happen to have one of in the same contract situation.

Lydman? I think they could do better than that in exchange for McDonald. I've seen a few D'Agostini for Tallinder proposals, so if Lydman were to be traded to the Blues I think that's a guy that could be coming our way.

The Blues may have some talents coming in, but they have very little experience. If they are serious about contending this season they should keep McDonald, who's been a first line center on a cup winning team, was the 2nd best goalscorer in those playoffs, and was the Blues leading goal scorer and point producer in the playoffs last year. Not to mention it's a short season so he could stay healthy for them the entire regular season.

I don't think it would work if the Ducks internal budget is what we think it is either, as McDonald makes $1.2 mil more than Lydman this year and the Ducks then would have to sign (or trade for) another defenseman. I'd like to be wrong though as I'd love to have him back. I could see it happen if he or the team struggles, but I'm not going to wish that fate for him.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't think it would work if the Ducks internal budget is what we think it is either, as McDonald makes $1.2 mil more than Lydman this year and the Ducks then would have to sign (or trade for) another defenseman. I'd like to be wrong though as I'd love to have him back. I could see it happen if he or the team struggles, but I'm not going to wish that fate for him.
What? We have no idea what the internal budget is. We don't even know if we're going to have one now that we qualify for subsidies.

McDonald has been injury prone and near the end of his career, so it doesn't surprise me that people aren't beating down their doors to get him over on the trade boards. If you look over on their board, he's someone that they're eyeballing to go. You're remembering him for what he was for us, not what he means to them.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I definitely wouldn't be against signing McDonald to a reasonable contract. He may be injury prone but he's been scoring a good amount of points. Although I would like to see Cogliano gone if they bring in McDonald. I like that McDonald can play wing and center, he has a lot of skill and if Teemu would stay for one more, those two could get it going again. McDonald would be serviceable anywhere in the middle 6. I don't think he has any business on the top line. He could teach Holland a thing or two and I think that they would be a good fit on the same line.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What? We have no idea what the internal budget is. We don't even know if we're going to have one now that we qualify for subsidies.

McDonald has been injury prone and near the end of his career, so it doesn't surprise me that people aren't beating down their doors to get him over on the trade boards. If you look over on their board, he's someone that they're eyeballing to go. You're remembering him for what he was for us, not what he means to them.

McDonald is older and more fragile, but when healthy he's still more or less the same player he was 6-7 years ago. If you're a contender your not going to trade away a player of that calibre for rebuilding parts, nor for a 35-year old Toni Lydman who played bottom pairing minutes last year. I'll admit that stranger things have happened, but I would consider either of those scenarios horrible moves on their behalf.

McDonald's NTC alone makes it a pipedream. You're on thin ice if you're asking your top offensive player and a leading veteran on your team to waive his NTC when your in the middle of contending.

I definitely wouldn't be against signing McDonald to a reasonable contract. He may be injury prone but he's been scoring a good amount of points. Although I would like to see Cogliano gone if they bring in McDonald. I like that McDonald can play wing and center, he has a lot of skill and if Teemu would stay for one more, those two could get it going again. McDonald would be serviceable anywhere in the middle 6. I don't think he has any business on the top line. He could teach Holland a thing or two and I think that they would be a good fit on the same line.

He's still first line material when he's healthy. Your probably right though that he'd make a better fit between Teemu and Ryan rather than playing with Getzlaf and Perry, especially since both him and Getzlaf are playmakers.

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
McDonald is older and more fragile, but when healthy he's still more or less the same player he was 6-7 years ago. If you're a contender your not going to trade away a player of that calibre for rebuilding parts, nor for a 35-year old Toni Lydman who played bottom pairing minutes last year. I'll admit that stranger things have happened, but I would consider either of those horrible moves on their behalf.

McDonald's NTC alone makes it a pipedream. You're on thin ice if you're asking your top offensive player and a leading veteran on your team to waive his NTC when your in the middle of contending.
A healthy Lydman was capable of playing a top pairing role. I think you may also be underselling just how ready Schwartz and Tarasenko are, not to mention their depth chart at wing. The rebuilding parts thing is just a red herring.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
A healthy Lydman was capable of playing a top pairing role. I think you may also be underselling just how ready Schwartz and Tarasenko are, not to mention their depth chart at wing. The rebuilding parts thing is just a red herring.

In the easily best year of his career, yes. Before that, he was a second pairing guy and after that he's had shoulder surgeries and to think that he can be the player he was two years ago is stretching it. If he could even bounce back to the player he was with the Sabres I'd be very happy (and surprised). Aside from injuries, he's also a few years older now.

I went on to the Blues board, and it seems to me like they aren't looking to trade McDonald at all. In fact, they seem to want him retire a Blue (if he's willing to take a paycut) and mentions Stewart (who they could get a much better defenseman for anyways) and D'Agostini as more likely tradebaits.

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
In the easily best year of his career, yes. Before that, he was a second pairing guy and after that he's had shoulder surgeries and to think that he can be the player he was two years ago is stretching it. If he could even bounce back to the player he was with the Sabres I'd be very happy (and surprised). Aside from injuries, he's also a few years older now.

I went on to the Blues board, and it seems to me like they aren't looking to trade McDonald at all. In fact, they seem to want him retire a Blue (if he's willing to take a paycut) and mentions Stewart (who they could get a much better defenseman for anyways) and D'Agostini as more likely tradebaits.
I didn't say that they were looking to trade him, but that he might be had if we can fix a major problem of theirs - the need for a top 4 LHD.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Unfortunately it is Cogliano unless Pellly or some Veteran face off guy is signed. Holland is a top 6 center, and although I would not be upset if they brought him up to play there, I just think they are going to go with

Getzlaf
Bonino
Koivu
cogliano

Well what exactly makes you think that? Boudreau has had nothing but praise to give to Holland and with the lockout continuing he's had plenty of time to see him in action as well. Can't see why he won't be given the fair chance at camp. If he plays the way he has been before this slump he will get a spot.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
How does Holland's skating compare to Ryan's? I haven't really seen them, but I'm under the impression Holland is better. So Selanne/Holland might work better than Selanne/Ryan.

OTH, Ryan's puck control and playmaking might fit better than Holland (who was a playmaker in junior but seems to be more of a shooter in the AHL)
Thankfully Beauchemin was fully recovered before training camp was meant to start, he's definitely ready as far as I know.
There's fully recovered and then there's truly recovered. Lydman was fully recovered last year when he started playing, he didn't get stronger until like February.
If a team gets subsidies, would there be some kind of restriction from up high on budget? It wouldn't look good if a team gets money and spends to the cap max.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
If a team gets subsidies, would there be some kind of restriction from up high on budget? It wouldn't look good if a team gets money and spends to the cap max.
We don't have a finalized CBA. I have no idea. I'm sure that those details will come out in the next few days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad