Which active players do you believe are first-ballot HOF?

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I admitted a couple of those guys are projected forward. Price is the best goalie I have seen in my lifetime outside of Hasek. He looks to have entered that sort of atmosphere, it isn't crazy to think he is going to have multiple Harts at the end of his career. He is also perhaps the most dominate International goaltender of all-time so pointing out Lundqvist's accomplishments there don't help his case in comparing the two.

I have no problem saying projecting forward, I think Price is in a different echelon of goalie than Lundqvist when all is said and done. Not that Lundqvist or heck Luongo aren't HHOF goalies. I just see Price as having an excellent chance of being a First Ballot HHOF guy.

Price could very well end up an alltime great but so far he have had 2 great seasons and that is it. Winning gold behind Team Canada is a feat any average goalie could accomplish.

Meanwhile you have Lundqvist with 8 consecutive seasons with .920 or better. Same international accolades Price have and very strong playoff performances.

As of this moment, Luongo is more of a lock IMO (but my username obviously gives away my bias).

By the time they're both retired? Who knows. Henrik still has a good 3-5 seasons behind a strong playoff team whereas I don't know if Luongo get much past 500 wins.

Luongo doesn't even have a Vezina. Look i respect your opinion but there is zero logic to it.

Last edited:

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I admitted a couple of those guys are projected forward. Price is the best goalie I have seen in my lifetime outside of Hasek. He looks to have entered that sort of atmosphere, it isn't crazy to think he is going to have multiple Harts at the end of his career. He is also perhaps the most dominate International goaltender of all-time so pointing out Lundqvist's accomplishments there don't help his case in comparing the two.

I have no problem saying projecting forward, I think Price is in a different echelon of goalie than Lundqvist when all is said and done. Not that Lundqvist or heck Luongo aren't HHOF goalies. I just see Price as having an excellent chance of being a First Ballot HHOF guy.

Excuse me, most dominate INTERNATIONAL goalie of all time? That's just Canadian talk. With Team Canada in front you could use an AHL starter and they would win gold. Hasek and Lundqvist are ahead in that department.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The 6 players who made the top 100 list. So Jagr, Crosby, and Ovi.

And even though it should not be, the three blackhawk players.

Malkin, Thornton, and Iggy should, but who knows!

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Excuse me, most dominate INTERNATIONAL goalie of all time? That's just Canadian talk. With Team Canada in front you could use an AHL starter and they would win gold. Hasek and Lundqvist are ahead in that department.
And even they fall behind this one Russian guy whose medals contain approximately 90% of the world's supply of gold.

Tretiak is in a league of his own when discussing international dominance for goaltenders.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
If they all retired today the only first ballot HOFers should be:

Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin

Iggy/Thornton/Toews/Sedins etc.. all wait in the wings for a year or 2 before getting in my opinion.

LOL what do you think every amazing player this generation will retire the same year?

4 or 5 guys go in every year, who the hell is going to keep these guys out their first year of eligibility?

these are locks no matter who else is eligible

jagr
crosby
ovechkin

the only way the following don't get in first ballot is if they all retire the same year which won't happen

malkin
kane
keith
toews (not deserved but it will happen)
chara
karllson
sedins
thornton
datsyuk
lundquist
iginla
st. louis

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I only say if he retires today, he's MIGHT be borderline.

455 wins and he's definitely a lock, no questions asked. I think winning a cup (as a Devils fan, I respect Lundqvist very much but hope he doesn't win a cup as a Ranger) or another Vezina would help too.

Even if he doesn't win either, I think 455 wins and you gotta put him in. He has 1 Vezina and a gold medal in the Olympics as a starter. Using Cujo as a comparable with 454 wins, no cups, no Vezina, no Olympic gold medal except as Brodeur's backup and not in the HOF, that would be more than Cujo accomplished. I think the Vezina gives him an edge on Luongo, who I think will probably miss out on the HOF, even if I personally think Luongo should be in.

There definitely needs to be a higher standard for goaltenders, because if you're going by pure Win/Cup stats, that brings a guy like MAF into play. And there's no way in hell that MAF deserves to get in.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Everyone with a shred of objectivity knows that list is an absolute joke. Using the 100 in any argument hurts your credibility.
So....It's a conspiracy against hockey itself that Toews is considered one of the top 100 players of all time?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
So....It's a conspiracy against hockey itself that Toews is considered one of the top 100 players of all time?

��������������������
You lost credibility once you used the top 100 lists as evidence of who is a first ballot HOF.....especially when guys like Malkin, Thornton, and even MSL(who are all first ballot HOFers no doubt) didn't make the list.

And your "watered down" comment was gold considering the irony :laugh:

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013

:laugh:: Price is the most overrated player ever lived. And btw I am enjoying his play at the moment :) Price has had the most dominant team in front of him in Olympics. He barely had to make any difficult save. Also Price has not been that good in playoffs. Lundqvist has been much more consistent and a much better playoff performer.

Also people need to understand that Lundqvist has had crappy defences in front of him for many years. The reason people overrate those defences is because Lundqvist has bailed them out many times. This is like the first year Lundqvist has not been playing that good and people point out now that Rangers defence is not good. But glad to see Lundqvist gotten back on track recently.

IMO Price has not proved anything yet. He played 5 games in olympics 2014 for the team that played defence very well and their roster was out of this galaxy. Also he has had few good seasons but he has also had few bad seasons. His overall resume is not that good yet and we will see if it ever will be with his play going downhill and luck returning back to normal.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
You lost credibility once you used the top 100 lists as evidence of who is a first ballot HOF.....especially when guys like Malkin, Thornton, and even MSL(who are all first ballot HOFers no doubt) didn't make the list.

And your "watered down" comment was gold considering the irony :laugh:
"Credibility" on a message board goes as far until somebody doesn't agree with your opinion.

The fact that there's actually people who think there's this league wide conspiracy to include a player on top lists for the sake of debate and argument further exemplifies more about bitterness among those then actual accomplishment by a player like....Toews.

Toews is considered one of the top 100 players of all time-fact. It cannot be debated considering its actually listed on the NHLs very own web site....But still is debated yet, hasn't taken his name off the list.

Discredit the list, those who agree with it, those who took part in the voting, etc. That there's this league wide ulterior motive to place Toews amongst the immortals of hockey where, get this, he belongs because if he didn't....He.....Wouldn't be there?

I wonder, laughingly, that is all along the most cherished accomplishment in hockey is winning a Stanley Cup compared to secondary awards that many like to point at to prop up their examples of "this player is so much better considering he has this award and that one". It doesn't measure to winning a Cup and being a huge reason that that team won three Cups in six years during an era of parity.

The centennial list blows everybody's opinion out the water with the definition of "generational player". The Hawks have three. Which, if you think about it, might make a better case as to why they are an actual dynasty in this era (in before the whole Hawks aren't a dynasty rhetoric).

Now, I get it. You don't agree with it, so debunk, discredit, etc. But, it's not going to change.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Lundqvist's consistency is what matters to me.

Every year, there's been jabroni's that have been better than Lundqvist, they just weren't better than him every season and weren't consistently good every year.

This season may be the first year of the decade that it doesn't happen, but Lundqvist has been a .920 or better goaltender for every season of this decade. He's only had 3 seasons in his career where he didn't reach .920 for a season and the league average save percentage in those years was quite a bit lower in those seasons (06-07 through 08-09) than now. Lundqvist's .917 in 06-07 was over a full percent higher than the league average of .905 that season. Lundqvist's .912 save percentage in 07-08 was still 3 points above league average of .909 that year. His .916 in 08-09 was still 8 points above the league average of .908 that season.

Brian Elliott has had a couple better seasons than Lundqvist in their careers, but consistently, he couldn't touch Lundqvist. Even in a poor season by Lundqvist's standards, Elliott hasn't even crossed the 90% mark once this season.

Lundqvist and Cory Schneider are the only goaltenders to have a .920 or better save percentage in every season of this decade, even though both are currently having the weakest seasons of their career.

Very well stated.
giphy.gif

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
wut? 600+ goals, closing in on 1300 pts, 2 Rockets, Art Ross and a Pearson isn't 1st ballot?
The only way Iginla isn't a first ballot is if something strange like 4 all-time greats are on the same ballot and push him back like what happened to Shanahan, but I can't think of anything outside of Crosby, Jagr, Ovechkin and Malkin (maybe Thornton) retiring all at once causing this type of logjam.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
"Credibility" on a message board goes as far until somebody doesn't agree with your opinion.

The fact that there's actually people who think there's this league wide conspiracy to include a player on top lists for the sake of debate and argument further exemplifies more about bitterness among those then actual accomplishment by a player like....Toews.

Toews is considered one of the top 100 players of all time-fact. It cannot be debated considering its actually listed on the NHLs very own web site....But still is debated yet, hasn't taken his name off the list.

Discredit the list, those who agree with it, those who took part in the voting, etc. That there's this league wide ulterior motive to place Toews amongst the immortals of hockey where, get this, he belongs because if he didn't....He.....Wouldn't be there?

I wonder, laughingly, that is all along the most cherished accomplishment in hockey is winning a Stanley Cup compared to secondary awards that many like to point at to prop up their examples of "this player is so much better considering he has this award and that one". It doesn't measure to winning a Cup and being a huge reason that that team won three Cups in six years during an era of parity.

The centennial list blows everybody's opinion out the water with the definition of "generational player". The Hawks have three. Which, if you think about it, might make a better case as to why they are an actual dynasty in this era (in before the whole Hawks aren't a dynasty rhetoric).

Now, I get it. You don't agree with it, so debunk, discredit, etc. But, it's not going to change.

League wide conspiracy? It's a silly list made by silly people who went off an almost entirely media based opinion. It's bad enough that Toews is on it, but he's in front of guys like Sakic....but yes...please put all your stock into the list and treat it like historical evidence of Toews greatness:laugh:

It can be debated and it has been. There's a reason why a MAJORITY of people here think the list is complete BS. You just love the list and it signifies everything you hope Toews would be, except it actually makes him that much more overrated, sorry to break it to you.

Why does he belong on that list? ESPECIALLY over the likes of Thornton and Malkin? What has he done to deserve it? Win 3 cups? By that standard the list should be a whole lot bigger.

Well that means Kris Draper and Claude Lemieux are top 100 players, I mean they won THE award to win 4 times each.....oh but I don't see them on the list. Weird. Maybe it's because the cup isn't the best trophy to base an individual off of.
Hart, Art Ross, Ted Lindsay>>Stanley cup.

You can define those 3 as "generational" but there is nothing generational about them. Enjoy that fantasy world of yours and please keep believing silly media lists made by people who obviously don't know hockey. Once again, your the minority. It must be awfully lonely, but if you can make it work :laugh:

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Turgeron never won a Hart, Art Ross, or Lester B. Never had any all star honors too.

He went to five all star games and won a Lady Bing. Unfortunately he when played the prime of his career at the same time as legends Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He went to five all star games and won a Lady Bing. Unfortunately he when played the prime of his career at the same time as legends Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

All star games are not the same as being award all star honors. Not just that but he never even finished in the top 5 is all star votings, so playing at the same time as Lemieux and Gretzky didn't really affect how he was valued.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
All star games are not the same as being award all star honors. Not just that but he never even finished in the top 5 is all star votings, so playing at the same time as Lemieux and Gretzky didn't really affect how he was valued.

But it took Iginla 200 more games to score less points than Turgeon.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
And even they fall behind this one Russian guy whose medals contain approximately 90% of the world's supply of gold.

Tretiak is in a league of his own when discussing international dominance for goaltenders.

Again, apples and oranges...

No one questions how great he was, but consider the team he played on and who their competition was.

They practiced as a single squad 11 months out of the year, apparently in a guarded arena.

Not to start anything, but he had advantages no goalie has ever had before or after...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad