Which active players do you believe are first-ballot HOF?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Don't really see how Chara is a first ballot HoF.

He's a pretty easy first ballot guy.

3x first-team allstar
4x second-team allstar
1x Norris
6x Norris finalist
Captained a team to a sustained run of elite play, including a championship

Lidstrom is the only defenseman in the last 20 years with an obviously better resume.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
While I agree with your list, I like to hear reasoning for the bolded part. You don't think they will be "First ballot", or just not inducted at all? Art Ross winners, gold medalists and consistent regular season producers. Cup finalists, over 1000 points each when it's all said and done, and of course the Twin Factor. They are slam dunk HOF:ers IMHO. "First ballot" is another thing though, that depends on the competition that given year.

I see Henrik as a strong enough candidate to get in on his own but I don't see Daniel as HOF worthy. I also don't see one getting in without the other. If they do get in, it'll have to be in a very weak year.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
The question is first ballot. I don't think Malkin gets in first ballot(whether that's deserving or not). He tends to skate in Crosby's shadow and I can see him being left off before Crosby gets in.

I see what you are saying.

He plays in Sid's shadow, is relatively quiet, and isn't a "sexy" name in the sports world like Crosby, Ovechkin or Lundqvist.

Regardless of how Canadian voters feel about him, he's without a doubt a top 40 player of all time and will likely finish top 25 all time. He will deserve a 1st ballot HOF entry.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
First ballot?
Jagr
Sid
Ovechkin
maybe malkin.. doesn't seem to be too respected by hockey media apparently, but easily one of the most talented players ever
i think thornton would too but not 100% sure on that one

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
+1 to whoever said these 5 player lists are ridiculous. There could be a 15 year difference between when Jagr or Iginla retire and when some of the younger guys on these lists like Kane will retire. Here's a hypothetical induction schedule (so adding 3 years to retirement year)

2021 (retire in 2018)
Jagr
Hossa
Iginla

Chara
Zetterberg

Thornton
Luongo

H. Sedin
D. Sedin

Lundqvist

Getzlaf

Ovechkin

Crosby
Keith
Kopitar

Malkin
Toews

etc.

Anyone saying only the 6 on the top-100 list will be first ballot is essentially arguing that we won't see any first ballot HHOF'ers after Jagr for a good decade. How many Paul Kariya's are left to induct? Or will the HHOF suddenly go from inducting ~4 players a year to 2? You only end up with log jams if 4 or more of the 7 players in that 2022-2025 group retire in the same year.

Luongo doesn't even have a Vezina. Look i respect your opinion but there is zero logic to it.

Luongo didn't win a Vezina cause his best season came in a year where Brodeur had his best season. It happens.

Vezina voting since 2005-06 when Henrik entered the league (so discounting a third place finish Lu had in 2003-04):

Lundqvist
3rd, 4th, 3rd, 6th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, 6th, 5th

Luongo
8th, 2nd, 7th, 4th, 10th, 3rd, 4th

Without getting into it any more, yeah you might have a point just based off that. But there are a number of other factors (Florida was awful for the first few years of his career - Luongo faced a ridiculous number of shots). If you look at win/shutout totals Luongo is obviously ahead there. Lu currently has longevity over Henrik. Their career sv percentages are nearly identical (Luongo .919 vs Lundqvist .920). 2 Gold medals for Luongo vs 1 for Lundqvist. Both have a Cup finals appearance.

So yeah, I don't think it's controversial to suggest that Luongo could be slightly ahead of Lundqvist career wise, with Lundqvist having the better peak. I'll rescind that there's enough separation between them to have one as a first ballot lock and the other as questionable - they're probably in the same category.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I see Henrik as a strong enough candidate to get in on his own but I don't see Daniel as HOF worthy. I also don't see one getting in without the other. If they do get in, it'll have to be in a very weak year.

What does Henrik have that Daniel doesn't? Both have a ross and Olympic gold. Henrik has a hart, Daniel has a lindsay.. If Henrik is worthy there's no reason Daniel isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad