Which 2003 Draft Picks Re-enter the 2005 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
There has to be a draft unless the lockout stretches into multiply seasons.

There doesn't have to be anything. No one knows what will happen. The league could fold for all we know.

I'll say this. Either there's going to be a draft, or there won't be. ;)

Vic Rattlehead*

If there is a draft, and GM's aren't allowed the chance to sign their prospects, than that is total BS. I wouldn't want to lose Mark Stuart.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
If there is a draft, and GM's aren't allowed the chance to sign their prospects, than that is total BS. I wouldn't want to lose Mark Stuart.
Mark Stuart is still playing in the NCAA so he doesn't have to be signed before the 2005 draft.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
montreal said:
If there's no season, there's no draft to reenter.

Belive so too, it makes allot of sense. Its a unique oppertunity to move the draft age from 18 to 19.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
X-SHARKIE said:
I still think the NHL well let the owners/GM's get screwed and have no chance to sign these guys before the draft.

But signing is a 2-way street .... Tim brent could not come to an agreement so he re-entered ..

Carter and Richards my say Screw Philly ... They did not sign us in hopes that the NEW CBA would have lower entry level salaries and bonuses ... If we are going to get lower salaries anyways ..lets take our chances and re-enter the draft ...They have no loyalty to Philly at this point and Philly showed no loyalty to them...

X-SHARKIE

The Messenger said:
But signing is a 2-way street .... Tim brent could not come to an agreement so he re-entered ..

Carter and Richards my say Screw Philly ... They did not sign us in hopes that the NEW CBA would have lower entry level salaries and bonuses ... If we are going to get lower salaries anyways ..lets take our chances and re-enter the draft ...They have no loyalty to Philly at this point and Philly showed no loyalty to them...

What's wrong with letting a prospect devolope in the juniors? Bob Clarke made it clear that Carter would be signed if their was a season. I can't see any prospects getting upset over their teams saying we'll waite until a lockout is over to sign you (like Bettman asked).

EDIT: THat's always a possibility though, every year it is. I think this would be the only way we see 2003 draftee's go into the 2005 draft.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
The Messenger said:
Carter probably has some kind of loyalty to Philly as our assistant Craig Hartsburg was his former junior coach. I heard that they have a pretty good relationship, (talking regularly after Hartsburg left the Soo) not to mention Hartsburg himself had a huge role in the selection of Carter (pretty significant that a brand new assistant coach got his player taken 11th overall, even more significant was that it was supposed to be a huge reach on draft day.)

I'm sure some kind words from Hartsburg could definitely go a long way if the situation gets messy.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
What's wrong with letting a prospect devolope in the juniors? Bob Clarke made it clear that Carter would be signed if their was a season. I can't see any prospects getting upset over their teams saying we'll waite until a lockout is over to sign you (like Bettman asked).

Well, the problem is that they're gonna get stiffed. After the NHLPA boys make sure that the league starts cutting costs, starting with the boys at the entry level - while I'm sure that may not seem like a bad thing to some people...it sucks for these players.

Patrick O'Sullivan, in particular - who got royally screwed out of the first round in his draft [and hence, first round money]. So, basically the kid will end up getting screwed not just once, but twice. He'll have to settle for second round compensation, which sucks enough - but now it'll be under the NEW CBA [whenever that happens] which is bound to rot even more. Anyway, I'm sure you and most people, don't really give a rat's ass, but....it pisses me off. [sorry,,no offense to you or anyone else, personally. i'm done with my rant, now. :mad: ]

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
flyers guy said:
Carter probably has some kind of loyalty to Philly as our assistant Craig Hartsburg was his former junior coach. I heard that they have a pretty good relationship, (talking regularly after Hartsburg left the Soo) not to mention Hartsburg himself had a huge role in the selection of Carter (pretty significant that a brand new assistant coach got his player taken 11th overall, even more significant was that it was supposed to be a huge reach on draft day.)

I'm sure some kind words from Hartsburg could definitely go a long way if the situation gets messy.

Certainly that is possible ...but Philly may have not choice if there is NO SEASON due to NO CBA then there is NO Draft in June .. but there is a deadline in June when all picks from the 2003 draft need to be signed by .. It is independant of the Draft itself ... but players under 20 re-enter the Draft and that could be anytime they have the next draft even if its a year from now ..... But because there is NO CBA ...Philly could not sign them under the old agreement ...

So while I agree ... There may be no choice..

Last edited:

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Give me a break... O'Sullivan didn't get screwed. nearly all 30 teams saw fit to pick a player they thought was better than O'Sullivan. It's such a hard life getting paid much more than the vast majority of us o this board to play a game you love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad