Where's the dead weight?

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Purcell and Nikitin for me are the two biggest examples of players who could be removed with little-to-no negative affect on the on-ice product. The fact that they also carry a combined $9M cap hit for not only this year, but next year as well, makes it that much harder to swallow.

Ference is on the list too, especially with his $3.25M price tag for the next 3 seasons, but I could live with him in the mix if it wasn't for the others taking up space. I don't like him in the top 4 and I don't like him as captain, but I do think it's good to have these types of guys in the locker room, especially with such a young team.

I'm not anywhere near as down on Schultz as the entire Oilers internet fanbase is, so I'll reserve judgement there. I will say that he's nowhere near as good as the organization seems to think he is today, and not nearly as likely to become that player that they believe either.

I totally agree on your player assessment. I also think there is no chance Petry signs an extension so I would be looking to move all these pieces to get back a centre and a D with some experience in the mould of Fayne. I would also look at what's on the goalie market and pull the trigger to replace Freddie. Its a results business and the results aren't good enough.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree with some of the previous posts .. You can't judge this team fairly without first having an NHL caliber coach behind the bench. The fact that Jason Gregor mentioned in a post yesterday that we're still not practicing with enough pace/intensity, and our preparedness for the past two games tells the story right there.

This is how the convo went yesterday ..

@ Jason Greogor

Hey Jason,

Long time reader, first time poster.

In regards to your comment about the pace/intensity of the practice ... I still don't understand how this is a problem at the NHL level. Especially with Eakins' mandate on training/nutrition, and Captain Andrew "iFitness" Ference leading the charge!

I appreciate the fact that Eakins is a new(er) coach with a young(ish) team, and this is generally a recipe for a lot more teaching/learning in practice as opposed to a vicious pace. But we've been called out publicly by multiple former players and it is still an issue.

Have you ever mentioned anything when doing an interview or in a media scrum? And if so what was the response from the team?

Thanks for all of the great articles over the years!

Colin

Response from Gregor ...

I have asked about it often. They swear their pace is fine. I disagree, but all I can do is keep bringing it up.

This really does confirm a lot of my worst suspicions.

Fire Eakins please.

This team would be much better if they had a coach like Hartley. Heck, I will take Marc Crawford on a test basis for the rest of the year. At least a lot of offensive players like Bertuzzi/Naslund, Sakic, Anze Kopitar, Jamie Benn, developed under his watch and I think he's more intense than Eakins is.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013

Fire Eakins please.

This team would be much better if they had a coach like Hartley. Heck, I will take Marc Crawford on a test basis for the rest of the year. At least a lot of offensive players like Bertuzzi/Naslund, Sakic, Anze Kopitar, Jamie Benn, developed under his watch and I think he's more intense than Eakins is.

Absolutely man .. Literally any NHL caliber coach will do!

I know a lot of us fans (and in particular fans on this board) have had a hate on for our coaches over the years and were calling for their heads nightly, but at the very least they were worthy of being in the league! I can't recall once ever seeing the dumbfounded/bewildered look that we see nightly on the face of another NHL coach. I look at Eakins, I listen to what Eakins says, I see the inexplicable moves he continues to make and the 27 years of hockey love/experience within tells me for an absolute fact that he cannot get the job done in this league. And as a teary eyed/broken down Oil fan that scares the F out of me!

I would love nothing more than for Eakins to prove me wrong, I would eat every word for breakfast with a damn smile on my face. But I fear that unless MacT steps in and fixes his Junior High science fair project of a mistake then we're in for another long winter!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We have an NHL roster for the first time in forever. With THREE 1st overall picks. The only excuse IMO is that this is still a very young team but that should not be a real issue anymore.

The one and only real problem I see is coaching/management. I fully believe with a real NHL coach behind the bench and solid management the Oilers become .500 team over night practically.

See comments in bold
Who do you enjoy slagging this season?

Purcell - No passion. No hustle. Purcell is Not THE problem and most certainly a true NHL player that if not on the Oilers would be on another team with a real shot at making the playoffs.

Arcobello - Not his fault, but Eakins plays him in too many situations. Can't stand him on the PP. Misses the net too often. He misses the net less than Eberle. They both seem to try weak angle, top corner shot selections. I hated his two glorious chances he missed last game but overall he has been good for us offensively and defensively.

Justin Schultz - Doesn't shoot when he should and when he does shoot nobody is around to screen the goalie. Still horrid in his own zone. Agreed. I don't know what happened to the player that destroyed the AHL and started so well in the NHL as well but he is LOST out right now and needs to show some improvement or be benched turned into a bottom pairing type.

Ference - Far too many mistakes in his zone. Overblown, see the Purcell comments. Not the problem.

Nikitin - No passion. Many mistakes. Doesn't shoot often enough. Playing too many minutes and hard minutes/match ups but IMO is not the problem either. I believe with better systems and coaching he could be part of a winning team.

Eberle would be the #1 forward I've been most upset through this young disastrous season so far. I was thinking he was getting better but then was the primary culprit on a weak back check on a goal that Scrivens could not have saved. Very weak in his own end and a liability that his scoring does not balance out let alone improve upon.

Shultz of course is the #1 boneheaded D-man.

Perron has come on recently but overall has been similar to Eberle. More liability than legit. I think it was his injury tho and I expect his season will turn around nicely.

EDIT: Forgot the goaltending. I truly believe the goaltending would be better with better systems/coaching and while both have not been great I think they are appearing worse than they really are.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I hated his two glorious chances he missed last game but overall he has been good for us offensively and defensively.
Well that's a step back from "best all round center" I guess. He hasn't been good. He's been adequate.
He wins more draws than he loses and he's reasonably effective on the PK.
A less talented Liam Reddox or Patrick Thoreson at best.

Perron has come on recently but overall has been similar to Eberle. More liability than legit. I think it was his injury tho and I expect his season will turn around nicely.
I think he was probably pissed at being stuck with not really NHL level linemates.
Guy comes to town and leads the team in goals. Next season he gets Marc Arcobello for his centerman. Wonder how you'd feel.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think he was probably pissed at being stuck with not really NHL level linemates.
Guy comes to town and leads the team in goals. Next season he gets Marc Arcobello for his centerman. Wonder how you'd feel.

I think Perron would like more ice-time with quality teammates and more powerplay time, pretty much any forward would, but he played large chunks of last year with 3rd liners, fully embracing the role and no peeps or complaints came from him. Our lines were mostly whatever line wasn't working put Hall on it, then our 2nd worst line put Perron on it and hope those two can get the job done. Perron said cause of his injury he wasn't able to train properly, he's starting to get his mojo back and playing like his old self, cause of his injury it's a lot like watching a player who held out and joins camp late and takes him a while to get in the swing of things I doubt there is any pouting going on.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Fire Eakins please.

I cant stand Marcs voice. Id be fine with him as a coach but man i dont want to hear him have any interviews.
Eakins is the worst coach i have seen, in any level of hockey.

The teams are not prepared, individual assessments take too long, his reads of the smaller momentum swings are wrong, he sets no emotional tone, he sets no level of intensity, he sparks nothing, his team is given a pathetic 5v5 defensive system and seem to only have one major system for that, his pp coaching is MacGruber "and lets see what happens" which isnt winging it...its "lets see what happens", and worst of all he took away the doughnuts. The doughnuts dude. From the press. Because the press play hockey. You know. Thats an important responsibility of the coach. Picking the diet for the media.
*blank stare*

When i look at Eakins i am constantly wondering when hell break out in a huge troll smile and say... "hahaha, i cant keep joking around like this. Ok ok. Time to stop acting like i dont know what the f im doing and actually coach an nhl team."....i literally believe this is some prank and at some point someones going to say...i totally got you guys.
Waiting for the joke to end
Waiting...waiting... Watching someone with a celery stick shoved up their ### would be a welcome distraction. I might just have to watch some macgruber before i get so angry i go for the turkey on the throat rips.

Last edited:

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
The deadweight is in owner and management, coaching and scouting, GM and President. There are so many things wrong with the Oilers, they are the laughing stock of the League.

In terms of players, I've noticed these players letting the team down consistently this year:

TEDDY PURCELL
OSCAR KLEFBOM
MARTIN MARINCIN
NIKITA NIKITIN
JEFF PETRY
JUSTIN SCHULTZ
VIKTOR FASTH
BEN SCRIVENS

MacT said Justin Schultz was a "future Norris winner". A future Norris winner would know how to play defense. And he'd have a better shot from the Blueline. We need to trade for a player that can get in front of the net and block the Goalies vision. A skilled player with hands. Like a Patric Hornqvist.

Arcobello is playing fine. He is our best faceoff Centre and any good team has a 3rd or 4th line dominant faceoff Centre. Arco should be the third line Centre and Draisaitl should be in the minors.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
My revisionist History Off-Season...

Trade for Boychuk and Leddy
Don't sign Nikitin
Trade Gagner, J.Schultz + 2016 1st for R. Johansen (When he was holding out)

Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Johansen-Perron
Pekarinen-Draisatl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Joenssu
Arcobello-Gazdig

Leddy-Boychuk
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Fayne

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I've noticed these players letting the team down consistently this year:

TEDDY PURCELL
OSCAR KLEFBOM
MARTIN MARINCIN
NIKITA NIKITIN
JEFF PETRY
JUSTIN SCHULTZ
VIKTOR FASTH
BEN SCRIVENS
Has Klefbom even seen enough ice to be grouped in with guys who have consistently let the team down. Your inclusion of Marincin and Petry is also puzzling.

Arcobello is playing fine. He is our best faceoff Centre and any good team has a 3rd or 4th line dominant faceoff Centre. Arco should be the third line Centre and Draisaitl should be in the minors.
So all the guys above have been letting the team down but Arcobello is fine. Talk about seeing what you want to see. The only thing funnier than an Arcobello "body check" is when he winds up for a slapper. Seriously. He's been barely adequate. That's it.

And regarding the bolded - Boyd Gordon is certainly our best faceoff man. Right now he's winning 5% more draws than Arcobello and taking all the tough ones.

Not sure what it is with some posters and Arcobello. I've now heard that he's our best all round center, he's better than Nuge, he's better than Gagner and now he's our best faceoff man. Real eye rolling stuff. Sure wish I knew why.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
My revisionist History Off-Season...

Trade for Boychuk and Leddy
Don't sign Nikitin
Trade Gagner, J.Schultz + 2016 1st for R. Johansen (When he was holding out)

Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Johansen-Perron
Pekarinen-Draisatl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Joenssu
Arcobello-Gazdig

Leddy-Boychuk
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Fayne

No way CBJ does that deal.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
No way CBJ does that deal.
A year and a half ago they might have. And that's the point. The Oilers have to be ****ing proactive in recognizing what they have, figuring out what is expendable and putting together a deal at a time that benefits this franchise. Anyone can put in a bid once a guy comes on the market, I thought a professional manager in the NHL would be trying to create deals.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A year and a half ago they might have. And that's the point. The Oilers have to be ****ing proactive in recognizing what they have, figuring out what is expendable and putting together a deal at a time that benefits this franchise. Anyone can put in a bid once a guy comes on the market, I thought a professional manager in the NHL would be trying to create deals.

I doubt it. Centers of that calibre don't go for scraps. CBJ already got boned thanks to Carter, why would they do it again?

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Who do you enjoy slagging this season?

Purcell - No passion. No hustle.

Arcobello - Not his fault, but Eakins plays him in too many situations. Can't stand him on the PP. Misses the net too often.

Justin Schultz - Doesn't shoot when he should and when he does shoot nobody is around to screen the goalie. Still horrid in his own zone.

Ference - Far too many mistakes in his zone.

Nikitin - No passion. Many mistakes. Doesn't shoot often enough.

With Hunt; Nurse; Klefbom playing D.
1W-7L-1SOL

with are 7 most experienced D playing
Ference;Petry; Nikitin; Fayne; Aulie; Schultz; Marincin
5W - 2L - 1OTL

The answer Eakins for throwing away 1/9th of the season

It is pretty obvious!

The rest is unsupported!

Facts People!
I think: feelings is for your Mom; Wife; Husband; Girlfriend; Boyfriend; drinking buddies.

Last edited:

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I agree with some of the previous posts .. You can't judge this team fairly without first having an NHL caliber coach behind the bench. The fact that Jason Gregor mentioned in a post yesterday that we're still not practicing with enough pace/intensity, and our preparedness for the past two games tells the story right there.

This is how the convo went yesterday ..

@ Jason Greogor

Hey Jason,

Long time reader, first time poster.

In regards to your comment about the pace/intensity of the practice ... I still don't understand how this is a problem at the NHL level. Especially with Eakins' mandate on training/nutrition, and Captain Andrew "iFitness" Ference leading the charge!

I appreciate the fact that Eakins is a new(er) coach with a young(ish) team, and this is generally a recipe for a lot more teaching/learning in practice as opposed to a vicious pace. But we've been called out publicly by multiple former players and it is still an issue.

Have you ever mentioned anything when doing an interview or in a media scrum? And if so what was the response from the team?

Thanks for all of the great articles over the years!

Colin

Response from Gregor ...

I have asked about it often. They swear their pace is fine. I disagree, but all I can do is keep bringing it up.

In regards to the pace, Eberle said this in an article yesterday. "“He’s absolutely grown (as a coach). This year he’s been awesome with the practices we’ve been running, quick pace, tempo." First time I've ever head someone compliment Eakins' practices...and if you read between the lines, Eberle must also think last year Eakins ran relatively slow paced practices with lack of tempo, even if thinks it's improved this year. At the same time, multiple reporters have mentioned that this years' practices are still slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad