Where's the dead weight?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Who do you enjoy slagging this season?

Purcell - No passion. No hustle.

Arcobello - Not his fault, but Eakins plays him in too many situations. Can't stand him on the PP. Misses the net too often.

Justin Schultz - Doesn't shoot when he should and when he does shoot nobody is around to screen the goalie. Still horrid in his own zone.

Ference - Far too many mistakes in his zone.

Nikitin - No passion. Many mistakes. Doesn't shoot often enough.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
The thing that I find peculiar about Teddy Purcell is how tentative he is right when he gains possession of the puck. He seems to go a full second sometimes when he stops moving his feet and isn't even stickhandling.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fred Chabot, Dallas Eakins, Nikita Nikitin, Andrew Ference, Viktor Fasth.

Ben Scrivens is a 30 game backup. Who we get - who knows.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Dead weight everywhere you look but the ones that stand out are Craig Mactavish and Dallas Eakins. This team certainly hasn't gotten any better since they've been running it and it's pretty easy to argue that it's gotten worse.

Of course neither of these two guys matter if you believe that Katz is really the one to blame.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
mactavish-lowe-howson.jpg

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Everyone but Hall, Yak, Nuge, Klefbom, Marincin, and Fayne is good most nights

It's tough to blame Draisatl, given he was setup to fail. I see what so many mean about how terrible the Oilers are at developing players.

BTW, he did score a nice one tonight, but its still not in "his" best interests to be playing at this level until he improves his skating.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Nikitin, Ference, Purcell are the big ones to me.

Arcobello is not a good PP player for the first unit but it's not his fault his coaches keep putting blind faith on him in the PP. Arcobello's poor shot is now an official SI unit for an individuals shot quality.

Pouliot has a much better shot (About 6.5 Arcs), and should not be the net presence which should be JJ or Hend.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Eakins is the deadest of weights... no way to properly assess this team until he is removed.

MacT and Lowe and Howson can gtfo as well... no tears from me over any of them but the head coach is the most glaring issue in the day to day on-ice performance of this team.

We honestly can't even begin to send assets away to fill holes until we see what a competent veteran head coach can do with this current squad. It's a case of this team being in limbo because this doofus is still here and we can't truly know the moves that should be made until he's removed.

Thanks MacT for this purgatory we are in ... how long until someone actually wakes up and actually hires a competent HC?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Fasth and Scrivens are number 1 in my book. Just have not provided solid goaltending.

Arco, work effort is there, but I still don't feel this guy is a NHL player.

Nikitin has been brutal in my books.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I think some guys aren't dead weight but are playing too high in the depth chart (Ference, Arcobello)
I think Nikitin and Purcell are straight up deadweight, especially at their contracts

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Eakins.
These players aren't practicing hard enough and it shows at the start of every game.
They need to do drills, not sit and watch Eakins draw on a board and practice the play them go back to the board.
I've only seen one practice but I've heard it is common place.

Eakins probably thinks that working out and cycling gets you hockey legs.. Hockey gives you hockey legs.

/rant

Oh and I didn't see them practice a single screen play when I watched. How many screen shots do our goalies stop?

Damn you Eakins!!!!!

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I actually think Arcobello has been fine, he fits in the category of a player who is been given a bigger role then he is actually ready for, which is an ongoing problem with us on a normal team he'd be an effective hardworking undersized 4th liner.

I'd say Hall and Nuge are top tier and driving results, then two highly effective role players in Fayne and Gordon, then 3 guys who typically do a lot more good then bad out there in Perron, Petry, and Pouliot. Everyone else is either too inconsistent or too inexperienced to be difference makers on most nights. Yakupov is giving consistent effort, but the statistics and numbers just aren't backing up that he's turned the corner yet and Eberle is playing a lot better of late, but he still needs to be better defensively while still contributing the kind of offense we expect out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad