Where would you rather the Montreal Canadiens finish this year?

Where would you rather finish at the end of the regular season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We can be an exciting team, and that's great...not sure how I feel about where we finish....but the future after one good offseason looks brighter, the young guys we have with the one's who are hopefully close ( Suzuki ) will keep building in the right direction.

I always kind of look where we are at the 20 game mark, and currently at 19 games, we are a better team than expected, but honestly guys a 3 game losing streak and we could be a the bottom of the standings. Perspecitve and expectations are going to move several times as the year moves forward.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt, but, ...

OK, so you're not just hoping for 7 things to go right, you're hoping for 16 things to go right.

I would RATHER more players be good than not. Not ashamed to say that. Very simple and obvious.

My prediction? That's a different question. I predict about 85-88 points. We are better than last year due to the young players added, but not good enough for playoffs yet.

Reactions: Canadienna

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I would RATHER more players be good than not. Not ashamed to say that. Very simple and obvious.
Obviously, I would rather that every player on the Habs be good.

My prediction? That's a different question. I predict about 85-88 points. We are better than last year due to the young players added, but not good enough for playoffs yet.
A Habs team that ends up just out of the playoffs and ends up drafting 12th is an entirely plausible outcome.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
- Lets forget about how much Price is being paid at the moment. Who would you draft between Price and Bob if you were building a contender?

- Now lets think about what Bob gets as a potential UFA this summer? Does he get $9M AAV? Now lets gauge how much trade value Price would have if we retain $1.5M bringing it down to $9M?

- Now lets factor in if we even trade him, most of his salary would have been paid. July of 2021 (3 seasons completed in his 8 year deal), he gets $50.75M of his $84M contract. $33.25 for 5 more years from age 33-38. Not many teams can fit him in today but that will change in 2 or 3 seasons from now. It's the same thinking about the Leafs with Nylander. They think he is not worth $6M but his agent is focused on cap growth. The cap is going to grow and it's projected to increase more than the previous $2M yearly average. $4.5M jump last year was a big deal!

Best time to trade Price is when he is age 33 and gets past the negative black cloud that has followed him around for 2 of the last 3 years. If Price has 3 good seasons in a row, people forget about the propaganda that we know today. He just needs to stay healthy
Cap is same hit every year of contract. And bottom feeders Trying to reach the cap floor won’t need or want him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Habs lack top end talent. They don’t have it.

That's a problem, it's too bad their franchise goalie has declined and their multiple Norris-finalist D has been hurt for a year. They may never reach their former levels and if not, we'll have to add anywhere from 2 to 8 more good star pieces. Personally I would rather it was two, but it's more likely 4 or 5. But I can't bring myself to hope that we are 8 stars short. That just makes no sense.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's a problem, it's too bad their franchise goalie has declined and their multiple Norris-finalist D has been hurt for a year. They may never reach their former levels and if not, we'll have to add anywhere from 2 to 8 more good star pieces. Personally I would rather it was two, but it's more likely 4 or 5. But I can't bring myself to hope that we are 8 stars short. That just makes no sense.

We won't need 8 stars if we land say 2 top 10/15/20 scorers. What we would need would be depth scoring, role players that know their role and execute well, balanced lineup, good depth on the farm in case of injuries, solid goaltending and a much improved defense.

What management needs to figure out is can they win a cup with guys like Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Kotka, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Mete, plus future players like Suzuki, Brook, etc...

The Habs haven't had a top 10 scorer come April in forever, let alone having 2 top 20 guys. Even then you still need other things to be going well. With most of the teams being so close together I don't think ending up say 7th or 14th in the draft will mean that much of a difference. The Habs just had one of their worst seasons since they started playing more then 50 games, but as bad as it was if you take a few of the games they lost by 1 goal and it goes the other way they are drafting 9th or 10th.

Parity makes things so tight, I really wouldn't read too much into it. You don't expect to finish last and make the playoffs the next year, maybe the Sabers will but to me I wouldn't mind being a bottom team for 2 more years and then hopefully the youth can improve enough that we end up middle the pack and then the next year in the playoffs and then build off that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We won't need 8 stars if we land say 2 top 10/15/20 scorers.

Not 8 superstars, but 8 stars. The Penguins needed more than just Crosby and Malkin, the Caps needed more than just Ovechkin and Backstrom. The Black Hawks needed more than just Toews and Kane.

Parity makes things so tight, I really wouldn't read too much into it. You don't expect to finish last and make the playoffs the next year, maybe the Sabres will but to me I wouldn't mind being a bottom team for 2 more years and then hopefully the youth can improve enough that we end up middle the pack and then the next year in the playoffs and then build off that.

Your statement is sensible, but mark my words if this happened we would have a contingent that would be upset that the team in 3 years be middle of the pack because ..... you know ....."been there done that", and wishes for a crash to the bottom to get eliter talent (even while the ELCs are over on the first wave).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not 8 superstars, but 8 stars. The Penguins needed more than just Crosby and Malkin, the Caps needed more than just Ovechkin and Backstrom. The Black Hawks needed more than just Toews and Kane.

Your statement is sensible, but mark my words if this happened we would have a contingent that would be upset that the team in 3 years be middle of the pack because ..... you know ....."been there done that", and wishes for a crash to the bottom to get eliter talent (even while the ELCs are over on the first wave).

I got that, I didn't think you meant 8 superstars since that's impossible. If you got 1 or 2 superstars (meaning top 10 scorers or around that), then I don't think you need 8 or even 6 stars as long as you have the right balance, role players, mix of skill, energy, etc... depth, goaltending, defense all strong.

As for 3 years middle of the pack, no we wouldn't see much of that outside of some that just complain to complain. We never been there done that before. What we did was make the playoffs get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round, draft high, develop poorly, bad asset management. What I'm saying is if we got a top pick, someone that ends up being a top scorer in say 3-4 years and another close to it the next year, we have never had that since we never have top 10 scorers which likely means top 2 or so picks.

I keep saying I really think we need a top 2 pick, take a look at these lists,

top 3,

NHL Players selected at the 3rd draft position at hockeydb.com

top 2,

NHL Players selected at the 2nd draft position at hockeydb.com

1st OA,

NHL Players selected at the 1st draft position at hockeydb.com

those 3rd OA's, lots of really good players but the other 2 lists so much stronger but also shows even top 2 you can have bad years to be that high.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cap is same hit every year of contract. And bottom feeders Trying to reach the cap floor won’t need or want him.

Cap hit of $8.5 or $9M won’t be a problem for a cup contender looking for a goalie in a few years

Price won’t accept a trade to a bottom feeder with his NMC

Price is with the Habs for a while yet. He’s not done. That’s BS propaganda

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
24 games in we're an average team. 8th seed in the East. We're 7 points out of first place in the division and 7 points out of last place in the division. I wouldn't be mad if we made the playoffs or if we got a top 5 pick. I just don't want us to barely miss the playoffs and get a low pick. Mediocrity is the worst thing in hockey because you don't make the playoffs and don't get a top prospect. Hopefully, we start taking a more clear direction soon.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
We need a Hughes and couple more solid D's in the next few years and this team could be set for a long time

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
24 games in we're an average team. 8th seed in the East. We're 7 points out of first place in the division and 7 points out of last place in the division. I wouldn't be mad if we made the playoffs or if we got a top 5 pick. I just don't want us to barely miss the playoffs and get a low pick. Mediocrity is the worst thing in hockey because you don't make the playoffs and don't get a top prospect. Hopefully, we start taking a more clear direction soon.
The issue is that this is exactly where I see them head for the end of the season. Borderline post-season team.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We are no where near as bad as some teams below us.

I can see Carolina, Pittsburgh and NYR passing us. But, Detroit, Philadelphia, NJD, Ottawa and Fla look really unlikely to do that. That's 5 teams.

In the West, LAK, St. L, Chicago and Arizona really suck.

I can't see us finishing bottom 5 at all.

More likely we finish 9th to 18th in draft range. The second half of the season is when teams fall off or pick it up.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
theres NO way that NJD, flyers, florida, kings and St-louis finish lower than us..

The Kings have 15 pts. We have 27. Blues have 19 pts. While a reversal of that extreme nature is possible, it is unlikely, especially considering the Blues play in a very tough central division. It's going to be really hard for them to make up ground.

As for the Metro, not all teams can go on a run. They have to play each other. I can see one of New Jersey and Philadelphia make a run, but if they do it probably means the Rangers fall.

As for Florida, they're 7 pts back with 3 games in hand, they haven't proven capable of doing much. One of the most frustrating teams out there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2 months this summer?

Started the job in 2012 though. I wish it was as easy as 2 months. We would need a pretty good pick in the next draft (again) and/or to make another player for player trade. No doubt he is going to work hard at getting that missing LD piece but we will see how long it takes.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Cute try 6+ years

Started the job in 2012 though. I wish it was as easy as 2 months. We would need a pretty good pick in the next draft (again) and/or to make another player for player trade. No doubt he is going to work hard at getting that missing LD piece but we will see how long it takes.
Aye obviously i was kidding.

Still it's funny how after 6 years of doing nothing but looking for centers - within a 2 month period we go from nothing to great center pool (Domi, Kotka, Suzuki, with a cpl more prospects and Danault still there too).

It changed fast

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Agreed. I just like the idea of a entertaining team that plays fast and the D helps limit the goals against. I am a bit concerned about exposing Price too much and he wants a divorce.

Took Bergevin how long to get the center depth we have? Once how long it will take to get the LD PMD?

difference is we actually have assets and prospects now as opposed to 2012 when he was hired. Also many people including most whiners on HF thought they had found him in Alex Galchenyuk.. who now seems to be a winger more then a C.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Aye obviously i was kidding.

Still it's funny how after 6 years of doing nothing but looking for centers - within a 2 month period we go from nothing to great center pool (Domi, Kotka, Suzuki, with a cpl more prospects and Danault still there too).

It changed fast

Started with a tank and we need another season or two of top 10 picks IMO. Domi/Galchenyuk swap was lucky. Nobody predicted Domi could handle a top 2C role the way he has been. In truth, he might end up moving to wing in time once Poehling and Suzuki are ready. I guess we need to see how he finishes the season at center and how the kids do once they start knocking on the door.

Domi / Kotkaniemi / Drouin
Tatar / Poehling / Suzuki
Lehkonen / Danault / Gallagher
Byron / Evans / Armia

Shaw, Hudon, Peca, Deslauriers

Mete or Reilly / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Mete or Reilly / Fleury

Schlemko, Brook

Price
Lindgren, Primeau, McNiven

Lots of depth but at some point, we are going to see a hockey trade IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
difference is we actually have assets and prospects now as opposed to 2012 when he was hired. Also many people including most whiners on HF thought they had found him in Alex Galchenyuk.. who now seems to be a winger more then a C.

I agree the prospect pool is a major difference. Remains to be seen if there is elite level impact players from those guys though. I like what I see but it's anybodies guess how long it takes them to even crack the roster.

But yes, if we want to be in on a trade for an impact player, we do have the pieces to use. Personally, I liked to see a few more grade A guys inserted on top of Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Started with a tank and we need another season or two of top 10 picks IMO. Domi/Galchenyuk swap was lucky. Nobody predicted Domi could handle a top 2C role the way he has been. In truth, he might end up moving to wing in time once Poehling and Suzuki are ready. I guess we need to see how he finishes the season at center and how the kids do once they start knocking on the door.

Domi / Kotkaniemi / Drouin
Tatar / Poehling / Suzuki
Lehkonen / Danault / Gallagher
Byron / Evans / Armia

Shaw, Hudon, Peca, Deslauriers

Mete or Reilly / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Mete or Reilly / Fleury

Schlemko, Brook

Price
Lindgren, Primeau, McNiven

Lots of depth but at some point, we are going to see a hockey trade IMO.

I really hate talking about that early in seasons. You should go for it every year - and we look great so far this year. I think we have a very, very reasonable chance at playoffs. Hockey teams don't tank - they just suck. That's something fans around here don't get sometimes.

Julien is never going to tank. The players are never going to tank. Management "might" but - barely.

We can trade vets/contracts for futures if it makes sense. But you don't do so hoping to "lose this year" - you do so because you like the future asset you're getting. ex - if we can trade Weber (since we're in his thread), or even Petry for some package of young player/prospect/pick that seems appealing? Sure, maybe. Still doesn't mean we'll lose more games, or finish low in standings, it just means we "might". It's just as likely that the young guys replacing them are super motivated and help us win as much, if not more games.

I could be wrong - but to me i highly doubt we finish bottom 10 in league this year. I see us finishing closer to the top. Offense has always been our problem, not defense or goalie. Our offense is really strong this year. If they keep it up, I think Price/Weber figure it out on the back end.

So I don't expect a top 10 pick this year, and certainly not top 5.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really hate talking about that early in seasons. You should go for it every year - and we look great so far this year. I think we have a very, very reasonable chance at playoffs. Hockey teams don't tank - they just suck. That's something fans around here don't get sometimes.

Julien is never going to tank. The players are never going to tank. Management "might" but - barely.

We can trade vets/contracts for futures if it makes sense. But you don't do so hoping to "lose this year" - you do so because you like the future asset you're getting. ex - if we can trade Weber (since we're in his thread), or even Petry for some package of young player/prospect/pick that seems appealing? Sure, maybe. Still doesn't mean we'll lose more games, or finish low in standings, it just means we "might". It's just as likely that the young guys replacing them are super motivated and help us win as much, if not more games.

I could be wrong - but to me i highly doubt we finish bottom 10 in league this year. I see us finishing closer to the top. Offense has always been our problem, not defense or goalie. Our offense is really strong this year. If they keep it up, I think Price/Weber figure it out on the back end.

So I don't expect a top 10 pick this year, and certainly not top 5.

I'm not expecting a top 10 pick either at this stage. But I hope we get one!

How happy are you going to be if we either just miss the playoffs or just make it and get knocked out in the 1st round again (to the Leafs?) ? I don't consider this any value to our team direction cause it would be disappointing and a 10-18 range pick vs a 5-10 range pick could mean a significant piece that we need. We will see who we get and what pick we have in June.

I believed in this young core before the season started, today, and in the future. However, we have work to do to add more pieces. Maybe our best move is to keep the cap space and wait. If no guy that fits our needs becomes available, we just let the kids grow and pay them once they get past the ELC

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not expecting a top 10 pick either at this stage. But I hope we get one!

How happy are you going to be if we either just miss the playoffs or just make it and get knocked out in the 1st round again (to the Leafs?) ? I don't consider this any value to our team direction cause it would be disappointing and a 10-18 range pick vs a 5-10 range pick could mean a significant piece that we need. We will see who we get and what pick we have in June.

I believed in this young core before the season started, today, and in the future. However, we have work to do to add more pieces. Maybe our best move is to keep the cap space and wait. If no guy that fits our needs becomes available, we just let the kids grow and pay them once they get past the ELC

To the bolded - ECSTATIC. It's absolutely ridiculous that the habs haven't played the leafs in the playoffs in 40 some years.....even if we get swept in 4 games scoring 0 goals i'd be happy...

But to your point - no i don't think we have a good chance to go far in the playoffs if we make it. If Carey Price regains form? Maybe, we'd have a puncher's chance. Price goes hot at right time in playoffs, and that's your puncher's chance.

But....does it matter? I also want us to win the cup and i don't deny that a top 10 (well more top 5) pick helps us in future...i'm just saying it's not going to happen. Teams don't lose on purpose regardless of if fans want them to - and i feel like we're too good to finish bottom 5 this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To the bolded - ECSTATIC. It's absolutely ridiculous that the habs haven't played the leafs in the playoffs in 40 some years.....even if we get swept in 4 games scoring 0 goals i'd be happy...

But to your point - no i don't think we have a good chance to go far in the playoffs if we make it. If Carey Price regains form? Maybe, we'd have a puncher's chance. Price goes hot at right time in playoffs, and that's your puncher's chance.

But....does it matter? I also want us to win the cup and i don't deny that a top 10 (well more top 5) pick helps us in future...i'm just saying it's not going to happen. Teams don't lose on purpose regardless of if fans want them to - and i feel like we're too good to finish bottom 5 this year.

I'd be sick to my stomach if we lost to the Leafs in the 1st round and we were the team that allowed them to go to the 2nd round. I have a lot of Leafs fans as friends. I want nothing to do with this for a few years yet. Our team is not complete and not build for the playoffs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad