Where would the Oilers be if they had the Flames Coaching, structure and process?

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
You're right, a team that entertains the fans and makes the playoffs is better then winning the cup...:shakehead
I don't know, would you rather be watching San Jose night after night or the Hurricanes. Easy choice for me.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I don't know about the team but the fans would be strutting in the streets, their heads held high, making sweet love to women after the games.

Instead of huddling in their Mom's basement talking about Corsi and Fenwick.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
13th? That'd be an improvement I guess.

ok, then they'd be about the calibre of Minnesota or Montreal. A 2nd tier team, but with great upside and likelyhood of being a top tier team soon.

right now, the Oil will be lucky if they can even be a .500 team next year.

Getzlaf The Great5*

I see Calgary being Ottawa of 2011 when they should have tanked another year to pick up more goodies. This is Calgary year to tank, and a stacked draft year at that. Look at Ottawa chances at the cup now. They will be a playoffs teams for years but will never be a true cup contender.

Laughable. Calgary is nothing like Ottawa in 2011.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Actually i give some credit to him for VAN but as far as i am concerned they didnt do much until the depth players were better. Sedins...sure...morrison as your top guy. Mhmm.
Anaheim? No credit to be given to burke. He was handed that team and handed pronger.

Signed Selanne and Niedermayer, traded for Beauchimen and Pronger.

He brought in half of the defense and a Hall of Fame winger everyone thought was done, but had another 9 years in him.

Murray drafted Getz and Perry and Penner. He gets credit for that, but they were 21 years old when the Ducks won it all.

Pronger, Niedermayer and Selanne were the backbone of that team. Burke brought them all in. And he publicly humiliated Lowe. That's worth something.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
He makes a couple fairly decent points though. For example, in Edmonton we believe a GM can't make any positive changes to a team in his first 18-24-36* months - maybe Burke figured out a way to make the Ducks quicker than we're used to?

*36 months is just saving room for a possible next year excuse

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He makes a couple fairly decent points though. For example, in Edmonton we believe a GM can't make any positive changes to a team in his first 18-24-36* months - maybe Burke figured out a way to make the Ducks quicker than we're used to?

*36 months is just saving room for a possible next year excuse

Nobody actually believes this. It's just what the results have shown.

Plus as quickly as Burke "rebuilt" the Ducks (keep in mind they went to the Finals in '03 and Burke didn't draft Perry/Getzlaf), he dismantled them with a series of questionable trades. They've only won a pair of playoff series since the Cup win and have since been surpassed by their LA counterparts.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I don't think it really matters.

We don't have a well rounded roster. We would still get outworked and lose most games.

This isn't a well built team, nor is it a well managed franchise.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Nobody actually believes this. It's just what the results have shown.

Plus as quickly as Burke "rebuilt" the Ducks (keep in mind they went to the Finals in '03 and Burke didn't draft Perry/Getzlaf), he dismantled them with a series of questionable trades. They've only won a pair of playoff series since the Cup win and have since been surpassed by their LA counterparts.

The Edmonton comment was tongue in cheek.

I think the point is we shouldn't discount how good Burke was as GM of the Ducks just because we don't like the Ducks or Burke. He may not have built them into Stanley Cup contenders, but he surely should get some credit for pushing them over the top?

As for the dismantling, they've missed the playoffs with a low point total of 80 since winning the cup. Burke clearly wasn't a disaster after winning.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Oilers not bad on paper, yeah right! Center depth is poor, blue line and goaltending is severely lacking. Where exactly does this team look good on paper? The wings? Most of them are one dimensional skilled players who are easily removed from the puck.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No matter what the arguement is re Burke he is better than anything this team has had for about 15 years. He actually is bold, impatient and is not afraid to make the big move. Some talk the game others walk it.

He's not the best or worst gm or president around but he's one hell of a lot better than our sad sack crew.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
WTF over. Can people please go do some basic fact checking on ST Burke. He inherited some pretty sweet teams. His TO work was an unmitigated disaster> He has no stroke in Calgary. Is Calgary punching above their weight limit sure... Colorado did that last year hmmm cannot ride a goalie forever and get out shot by every team in the league and still win nope. The Oilers had that happen and they were called out on it.... the Flames are hard working bunch we were lazy bastages. I will say this I like the Oilers because they actually score some pretty goals the Flames it is usually off of 2 sticks and a bad bounce and it is in. I would give Eakins nuts to have Ted Nolan coaching here.

The Oilers brass would be doing backflips if they were as good as Toronto is right now (legitimately in the mix for a playoff berth) and the media suck ups like Stauffer would be hailing Mac T as a genius the "everything going according to plan". The "process" would be undeniably great and how dare anyone even remotely criticize the great Kevin Lowe.

Lowe is a moron and Burke was right to call him out on being an idiot.

Burke is a loud mouth, but he's 10x smarter than the boneheads running this organization. Truth hurts.

I would trade Lowe/Mac T/Eakins for Burke/Treliving/Hartley in a freaking heartbeat.

Mason Raymond = $3 million cap hit signing in the summer; 5 goals in 10 games

Benoit Pouliot + Teddy Purcell = $8.5 million in cap hit, 2 goals in 13 games between the two of them.

Keep telling yourself that "he's just as bad as Lowe/Mac T". It won't make it true. Burke would do a *hell* of a lot better if he inherited three 1st overall picks.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I still don't buy that Calgary is really all that ****ing great. They are getting Vezina-worthy goaltending right now that will likely give out at some point, and then we'll see what they really are. Honestly, as bad as the Oilers are, I'd still rather cheer for them and their garbage system any day of the week over the Flames. The Flames right now are what the Avalanche were at this time last year, now look at them, right back in the gutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad