Where will we finish in the East?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You could say that about any other team. Usually when a team misses it's best players, they are going to suck, or at least be mediocre.

No I don't agree with that. I think we are unusually dependant upon giroux ( pp dynamo) and mason ( emery is the backup) . Most teams are not that dependant upon 2 players .

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Take Jagr and Schneider off the Devils, or Kessel and Bernier off the Leafs, or Tavares and Halak off the Islanders. They would all be screwed, too.

Stamkos and Bishop are another example, although the Lightning have great depth. The backup in TB is rusty old Nabokov. He's not going to go back to being a 50+ game starter.

Subban and Price get injured? Montreal is in the basement.

Columbus without Bob and Johansen are not a playoff team.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Take Jagr and Schneider off the Devils, or Kessel and Bernier off the Leafs, or Tavares and Halak off the Islanders. They would all be screwed, too.

Stamkos and Bishop are another example, although the Lightning have great depth. The backup in TB is rusty old Nabokov. He's not going to go back to being a 50+ game starter.

Subban and Price get injured? Montreal is in the basement.

Columbus without Bob and Johansen are not a playoff team.

You named 3 teams , all of whom were not playoff teams even with their start players ( not counting islanders playoff appearance in a shortened season...statistical anomaly)

I already don't think the flyers make the playoffs this year. But i said if either mason or g goes down things can get real ugly this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You named 3 teams , all of whom were not playoff teams even with their start players ( not counting islanders playoff appearance in a shortened season...statistical anomaly)

Montreal and Columbus were playoff teams.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I mentioned six Eastern teams, and all of them are extremely dependent on their best skater and their #1 goalie. Just like the Flyers.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I mentioned six Eastern teams, and all of them are extremely dependent on their best skater and their #1 goalie. Just like the Flyers.

i know you mentioned 6 teams. I can read. 3 of those teams have something in common. Hence why I "you named 3 teams...."

I should have written a bit more clearly but your reading comprehension is not helping one bit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
My reading comprehension? :laugh:

You made the argument that the Flyers are unusually dependent on two players. I listed six examples of teams that are also extremely dependent on their best skater and #1 goalie.

My examples showed that your argument is invalid. It is not unusual, in fact, it's quite common.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh probably could because Malkin is so good, and whoever replaced MAF would probably be an improvement.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
My reading comprehension? :laugh:

You made the argument that the Flyers are unusually dependent on two players. I listed six examples of teams that are also extremely dependent on their best skater and #1 goalie.

My examples showed that your argument is invalid. It is not unusual, in fact, it's quite common.

you listed 3 teams that were non playoff teams when they have a healthy roster ( once again not counting tml or islanders in a strike season or )

We made the playoffs with a healthy roster, they did not. So even if they lose their two best players and have a disaster seasaon it doesnt matter because if they had those two best players they still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

I am saying this. I count us as a non playoff team right now. If we lose mason. things will get ugly. Not only will we not make the playoffs but we could be in the running for a top 3 draft pick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The fact those teams missed the playoffs last year does not make them any less dependent on their two top players. We are talking about this upcoming season, not last season.

And I also listed three other Eastern teams who would be just as badly screwed as the Flyers if their best skater and #1 goalie got hurt. You can't just ignore them because they ruin your argument.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I also listed three other Eastern teams who would be just as badly screwed as the Flyers if their best skater and #1 goalie got hurt.

You can't just ignore them because they ruin your argument.

and vice versa. You can't ignore my rebuddle to the 3 teams you listed.

Look no team is dependant upon a super star to score points more so than the flyers with giroux.

The diffrence between the 1st and 2nd ppg producers between each team is greatest among the flyers. ( why no team relies on its super star more than the flyers)

2. Emery.

/ argument.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The gap between Stamkos and the next highest scorer in TB this season will be just as large as the gap between Giroux and Voracek. St Louis isn't there anymore, so they only have one superstar. And the gap between Bishop and the 39 year old Nabokov is just as big as the gap between Mason and Emery.

In Montreal Subban may not be their top points scorer, but he was second on the team despite being a dman. Without him playing 25 minutes a night they would be in huge trouble. And the SV% gap between Price and Budaj was larger than the SV% gap between Mason and Emery - 0.18 compared to 0.14.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
going to guess 7th or 8th. The Flyers were extremely fortunate last year to stay mostly healthy. No Timonen this year. This team still has some flaws and I don't like this defensive group going forward. If Giroux or Mason go down for a lengthy time than I could see this team missing the playoffs

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The gap between Stamkos and the next highest scorer in TB this season will be just as large as the gap between Giroux and Voracek. St Louis isn't there anymore, so they only have one superstar.

And the gap between Bishop and the 39 year old Nabokov is just as big as the gap between Mason and Emery.

congrats you have found 1 team that may challenge the flyers for team most dependant upon 2 players.

just fyi that 1 team also has the best prospect in hockey and the best goalie prospect in hockey that they can bring up if they have to.

You have really nullified my argument thoroughly and completely

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
congrats you have found 1 team that may challenge the flyers for team most dependant upon 2 players.

just fyi that 1 team also has the best prospect in hockey and the best goalie prospect in hockey that they can bring up if they have to.

You have really nullified my argument thoroughly and completely

How about Tavares and whoever is playing second line center (grabo?) in NY and the difference between Halak and Johnson?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Actually Pittsburgh are the team who are most dependent on two players. They just both happen to be centers.

But I didn't expect much hockey acumen from the guy who wanted to trade Lecavalier for Leino. Or the guy who spells rebuttal as rebuddle. :laugh:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
How about Tavares and whoever is playing second line center (grabo?) in NY and the difference between Halak and Johnson?

i feel the difference between how much we depend upon G to produce as oppose to voracek is much greater than how much they depend on tavares as oppose to okposo)

okposo had a great year last year.

ALso johson is >>>> emery. Emery is quite easily the worst backup in the league as far as i am concerned.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Actually Pittsburgh are the team who are most dependent on two players. They just both happen to be centers.

But I didn't expect much hockey acumen from the guy who wanted to trade Lecavalier for Leino. Or the guy who spells rebuttal as rebuddle. :laugh:

well spelling is not my cup of tea, especially on a message board which is the lowest form of communication . So forgive me for not meeting your standards and for not proofreading my posts which you so clearly put so much time into.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
i feel the difference between how much we depend upon G to produce as oppose to voracek is much greater than how much they depend on tavares as oppose to okposo)

okposo had a great year last year.

ALso johson is >>>> emery. Emery is quite easily the worst backup in the league as far as i am concerned.

Quite easily is a bit of a sterech, Lindback, Peters, Clemmenson, Mccelhinney and Dubnyk are worse.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Even the elite teams in the league in Chicago and LA would drop significantly without Toews/Keith or Doughty/Quick. The NYR without Lundqvist/McDonagh would struggle to make the playoffs. Boston would would be the same without Chara/Rask. What a shocker that teams depend on their best players though, riveting stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad