Where will we finish in the East?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Bit hard to predict isn't it? We could fly and contest with the Pens for the division or we could tank entirely and get McDavid. So many variables and question marks.

It'll be fun to dredge this up later, see who got it right.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
First. Or last. I can't decide. It might actually be somewhere in between there.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
No idea.

But having a much better gut feeling about this team than last pre-season.
The loss of Timonen will be outnumbered by general improvements such as more mobility on the backend and younger forwards having gained more experience. The mental thing will be huge though... not sure who can step up as a leader.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think the Flyers will finish 5th or 6th in their division just missing the playoffs so about 9th or 10th in the conference.

Ottawa and Carolina are the clear cut worst in the conference IMO. Buffalo and Florida are next with two young teams that could be better than people think by the end of the year. Toronto, New Jersey and Islanders are after. Any 1 of the 3 could be playoff teams but until proven, are suspect in my mind. Columbus, Detroit, and the Flyers are the next grouping. If Ryan Johanson signs, I put the blue jackets over the Flyers.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Giroux, Mason are healthy, with gradual improvement from other forwards = 4th - 5th

Giorux, Mason are healthy, with no improvement from our players = 6th - 8th

Giroux, Mason are healthy, but injuries throughout lineup = 9th - 10th

Giroux, and Mason injuries, but otherwise healthy = 11th - 13th

Giroux and Mason injuries, and injuries throughout lineup = 14th - 15th

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...oughts-playoff-chase-begins-early-in-nhl.html

That is a very important stat for the Flyers this year. In the 10 games they play before November 1st, 9 are against teams that made the playoffs last year. November's schedule doesn't get much easier as out of 13 games, 9 are against last years playoffs teams. So 18 of the first 23 games of the season are against prior playoff teams.

Breaking down the Flyers schedule even more: they play 41 games against last years playoff teams and 41 against nonplayoff teams.

October-December: 25 against playoff teams, 12 nonplayoffs
January-February: 7 against playoff teams, 19 against non playoffs
March-April: 9 against playoff teams, 10 against nonplayoffs.

A slow start to this year will bury the team. If they can stay close thru to the new year, they can make up a ton of ground until the trade deadline.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't in that 6-to-9 group in the East
I think there are 5 teams in our conference that are just better teams right now

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This team showed just last year that even a 1-7 start isn't enough to bury them.

The Atlantic division was so terrible last year that the Flyers were only 4 points out of 3rd place, and 5 points out of 2nd place, at the end of October with a 3-8 record. Pittsburgh was the only team in the division above .500 at the end of October.

To further illustrate how terrible the division was: the Flyers were 1-7 at the end of games on October 17 last year. They were only 2 points out of 4th place in the division.

Metropolitan Division
Teams ranked by points over .500 GP WOT LOT GF GA P
Pittsburgh Penguins +5 7 6 0 1 0 27 16 12
New York Islanders +1 7 3 1 4 2 22 19 8
Carolina Hurricanes +1 8 3 0 5 3 18 23 9
Columbus Blue Jackets -2 6 2 1 4 0 15 17 4
New York Rangers -2 6 2 0 4 0 11 25 4
Washington Capitals -3 7 2 1 5 0 17 24 4
New Jersey Devils -4 7 0 0 7 3 13 26 3
Philadelphia Flyers -6 8 1 0 7 0 11 24 2
http://dropyourgloves.com/games/AnyDateStandings.aspx?Date=2013-10-17&League=1

I wouldn't count on that kind of crapulence from the division this year.

Last edited:

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Teams that very likely finish ahead of the Flyers:
1. Rangers
2. Boston
3. Tampa
4. Pitt
5. Detroit

The Rangers lost Stralman but still have an elite goalie and defenseman,and have good offensive depth.
Boston is flat out better than the Flyes.
Tampa has insane offensive depth and added a good defenseman in Stralman and has a good goalie.
Pitt added a good defenseman and will finish ahead of the Flyers.
Detroit made the playoffs despite suffering huge number of injuries last year. They will likely finish higher in the standings than last year.

Flyers are very unlikely to finish better than 6th.
-----
Teams that may finish ahead of them:
6. Islanlders - they improved alot in the offseason and are getting good quickly.
7. Columbus - good young team that is improving and Murray is the real deal.
8. Toronto - had a bad year last year with some injuries but should be better this year.
9. Canadians - young team getting better.
10. Devils - always seem to do better than their paper roster would suggest. Well coached.
11. Washington - new coach should make a huge difference. The team had the worst coach in the league. Team has alot of talent. Their pp is deadly - if they can improve their short handed play they can easily make the playoffs.
--

I do not expect the Flyers to finish 12th, but I do not expect them to finish 6th either. The Flyers defense is atrocious - Grossman sucks, Coburn is overrated, MacDonald sucks, Schenn is mediocore, Schultz sucks, DZ is a wild card. The Flyers backup goalie, emery, is horrible. The Flyers offensive depth is not great. Their second, third and fourth lines are not particulary dangerous. I do not expect them to finish 12th but if Voracek or Giroux miss any signifant time that is where they will finish or worse.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This is how I see the East finishing up:
1. Boston
2. Pittsburgh
3. Montreal
4. Tampa Bay
5. NYR
6. Toronto
7. Columbus
8. Detroit
--------------------------
9. Philadelphia
10. NY Islanders
11. New Jersey
12. Washington
13. Buffalo
14. Carolina
15. Ottawa
16. Florida

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the Flyers finished as high as 6th if everything came together or fell to as low as 11th.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is how I see the East finishing up:
1. Boston
2. Pittsburgh
3. Montreal
4. Tampa Bay
5. NYR
6. Toronto
7. Columbus
8. Detroit
--------------------------
9. Philadelphia
10. NY Islanders
11. New Jersey
12. Washington
13. Buffalo
14. Carolina
15. Ottawa
16. Florida

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the Flyers finished as high as 6th if everything came together or fell to as low as 11th.

If Toronto finishes higher than us I'll eat my computer. Definitely don't think Columbus or Detroit will either.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Read, schenn, and couturier need to step up this year.

This is the part I have trouble with. I don't see Schenn doing much more. Couts I think has more of a ceiling but I am worried it's not high enough. Without them we don't bring enough to be a real contender. We may pull a ny and get to the finals again but I'd like more than that. Imo we need three go to guys with a good supporting cast. People need to step up so we are ready when the d comes into form

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I have a bad feeling about this year. A really bad feeling. I think we are slotted in at 9-10 if everything goes well. But if something happens to mason or giroux or someone else imoportant things could get ugly fast.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
I could see them winning the division if they stay healthy and mason is as good as last year. I really disagree that they don't have offensive depth. 7 20 goal scorers last year.. Not including couts who is only going to improve offensively, I don't see this team hurting for offense this year even if injuries hit. Defensively they are shaky but regular season they could get by out scoring teams most nights(you know like the pens do). I think the offense has a good chance at finishing top 3 in the league. This team isn't built to go deep in the playoffs though defensively unless mason stands on his head again.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I have a bad feeling about this year. A really bad feeling. I think we are slotted in at 9-10 if everything goes well. But if something happens to mason or giroux or someone else imoportant things could get ugly fast.

You could say that about any other team. Usually when a team misses it's best players, they are going to suck, or at least be mediocre.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm surprised how many people think Toronto is a playoff team. They still have the same awful coach and suspect team defense.

You could say that about any other team. Usually when a team misses it's best players, they are going to suck, or at least be mediocre.

It''s about as useful as saying, if my left foot falls off I'm going to have trouble walking.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This is the part I have trouble with. I don't see Schenn doing much more. Couts I think has more of a ceiling but I am worried it's not high enough. Without them we don't bring enough to be a real contender. We may pull a ny and get to the finals again but I'd like more than that. Imo we need three go to guys with a good supporting cast. People need to step up so we are ready when the d comes into form

You don't think Schenn is capable of much more than 40 points as Giroux and Voracek's winger?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Since he's on the crappy second PP unit 50 would be a good return for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad