Player Discussion Where Will They Be? The Left Wings

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
The Centers

Below is a list of left wingers in the Caps organization - for each, select one of the following options (manually, as a poll wouldn't do it):

On OPENING NIGHT, where will this player be?

- Washington
- Hershey
- South Carolina
- Traded (and if you feel adventurous, to where)
- Released/Option not picked up/Signed with another team as UFA

Positions per EliteProspects.com and my discretion. If you disagree with a positioning, feel free to pass/add that player.

- Ovechkin, Alex
- Burakovsky, Andre
- Vrana, Jakub
- Walker, Nathan
- O'Brien, Liam
- Malenstyn, Beck
- Mitchell, Mason
- Jonsson Fjallby, Axel
- Riat, Damien
- Roykas Marthinsen, Kristian

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
- Ovechkin, Alex: Washington
- Burakovsky, Andre: traded to Edmonton
- Vrana, Jakub: Washington
- Walker, Nathan: Washington
- O'Brien, Liam: Hershey
- Malenstyn, Beck: Hershey
- Mitchell, Mason: Hershey
- Jonsson Fjallby, Axel: Washington
- Riat, Damien: Europe
- Roykas Marthinsen, Kristian: Europe

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
- Ovechkin, Alex - Caps
- Burakovsky, Andre - traded to Detroit
- Vrana, Jakub - Caps
- Walker, Nathan - Hershey/claimed by a team who had a forward injury in preseason
- O'Brien, Liam - Hershey
- Malenstyn, Beck - Hershey
- Mitchell, Mason - Hershey
- Jonsson Fjallby, Axel - Caps
- Riat, Damien - Europe
- Roykas Marthinsen, Kristian - Europe

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
- Ovechkin, Alex - Washington (if not still on a bender)
- Burakovsky, Andre - Western Conference somewhere (Trade)
- Vrana, Jakub - Washington
- Walker, Nathan - Washington
- O'Brien, Liam - Hershey
- Malenstyn, Beck - Hershey
- Mitchell, Mason - Hershey
- Jonsson Fjallby, Axel - Hershey
- Riat, Damien - Swiss League
- Roykas Marthinsen, Kristian - Sweden

Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I still wonder if they want to give one more season to Burakovsky to see if he can stay healthy and get it together. I've been the leader of the Trade Burakovsky bandwagon but there's no denying that there is serious talent and potential there.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I still wonder if they want to give one more season to Burakovsky to see if he can stay healthy and get it together. I've been the leader of the Trade Burakovsky bandwagon but there's no denying that there is serious talent and potential there.

If they had gobs of cap room I could easily see that sort of patience. But being this tight, you don't keep Bura and lose JC if thats what it comes down to.

I see Bura just like I saw Mojo... a skilled but not tough player who is inconsistent and who's playoffs feature a flash here or there but also too inconsistent. More importantly, Bura brings nothing that can't easily be replaced by another skilled but soft winger. That Vrana has clearly jumped right over him in one season is telling. I'm OK with the risk of losing Bura. I doubt he explodes any time soon.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If they had gobs of cap room I could easily see that sort of patience. But being this tight, you don't keep Bura and lose JC if thats what it comes down to.

I see Bura just like I saw Mojo... a skilled but not tough player who is inconsistent and who's playoffs feature a flash here or there but also too inconsistent. More importantly, Bura brings nothing that can't easily be replaced by another skilled but soft winger. That Vrana has clearly jumped right over him in one season is telling. I'm OK with the risk of losing Bura. I doubt he explodes any time soon.

I both agree and disagree. Burakovsky has an elite shot and release. Vrana and Johansson are no where near Burakovsky in terms of pure finishing and goal scoring ability. Out of those three Vrana is the best skater, Johansson the best passer, and Burakovsky the best finisher. With goal scoring depth at a premium across the league letting go of a guy with clear 30G potential would be a risk.

Yes to JC over Bura and if it's that simple I agree, but I think it's more complex than that. Or maybe it isn't and I'm just overthinking things.

Reactions: romao

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Anyone know when the NHLPA will decide on triggering the growth factor? Once that's done we will get a good Cap number, that's the obvious first piece of the puzzle to all this.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They need to move on from Burakovsky.

He's either going to put it together this year and ask for 4-5 million on the open market, which they simply can't afford to pay a second-line LW, or he'll continue to be outplayed by Vrana--- and walk for nothing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Wouldn't be surprised....maybe someone makes them a sweet offer. No reason to cut bait and take a trade loss though IMO. Personally I think he’s still got a good amount of upside.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

He's either going to put it together this year and ask for 4-5 million on the open market, which they simply can't afford to pay a second-line LW, or he'll continue to be outplayed by Vrana--- and walk for nothing.

RFA at seasons end.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
- Ovechkin, Alex - Line 1
- Burakovsky, Andre - Line 3
- Vrana, Jakub - Line 2
- Walker, Nathan - Line 4
- O'Brien, Liam - AHL
- Malenstyn, Beck - AHL
- Mitchell, Mason - AHL
- Jonsson Fjallby, Axel - AHL
- Riat, Damien - Europe
- Roykas Marthinsen, Kristian - Europe

Is Gersich going to be listed at RW then?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
People will never learn re:burakovsky

Reminds me of the issues of The Hockey News player breakdown about Peter Bondra prior to his breakout.

They all ripped on Poile on a yearly basis as Poile insisted he’d be a 50 goal scorer but the “experts” said “we just don’t see it!”

Burakovsky may not be the scorer Bondra was but he has immense potential and the Caps need to see it out.

Show some patience. Most of you would have traded Wilson prior to this year

I say

Ovechkin
Vrana
Burakovsky
Chiasson/walker

I’m not so sure they don’t bring Chiasson back on a minimum contract.

Cheap veteran depth that the team is comfortable with

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Good catch, thank you - he's listed as a C at elite, and I forgot to add him at LW, which is where I figure he should be. Maybe I'll add a misc. survey at the end to clean up players I've missed.
Stephenson also played a LOT of LW for us. So there is that too.

I see the LW depth chart as:
Ovechkin - Wash
Vrana - Wash
Stephenson - Wash
Gersich - Wash
Walker - Wash
AJF - Hershey
Malenstyn - Hershey
O’Brien - Hershey
Mitchell - Hershey/ECHL
Riat - Europe
Roykas - Europe

Burakovsky - Traded

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I both agree and disagree.

Hard to know what to argue then :D

AlexBrovechkin8 said:
Burakovsky has an elite shot and release. Vrana and Johansson are no where near Burakovsky in terms of pure finishing and goal scoring ability. Out of those three Vrana is the best skater, Johansson the best passer, and Burakovsky the best finisher. With goal scoring depth at a premium across the league letting go of a guy with clear 30G potential would be a risk.

Yes to JC over Bura and if it's that simple I agree, but I think it's more complex than that. Or maybe it isn't and I'm just overthinking things.

I only see him scoring 30 if he's on the top line and I don't see him getting top two line minutes in DC with this roster. Vrana has already seemingly jumped over him and he's obviously not bumping Ovi. So I see him stuck on the 3rd line and not sniffing 30 goals from there. That's why I think trading him brings us better return than waiting on him.

Bura is also butter soft and physically fragile and mentally something isn't 100% there. When he comes back off his semi annual 6 week IR stint, he takes months to get his game back. He needed to be benched in the playoffs to turn it around. not saying he's a head case nut bag, just saying he takes a looong time getting his game together and thats a mental thing, IMO.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'd like to see Bura start to play PK. I know Kuz one that center showcase battle but he was not bad in my recollection. So if he can continue to play multiple positions and starting adding some PK (with his reach and speed I don't see why not) he'll further add value. Just loath to give a player like this up as the end is in sight as AO/Backstrom starting sliding down lines as they age.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
its hard to do this when guys are switching sides often, but:

Ovechkin - 1LW
Vrana - 2LW
Connolly - 3LW
Gersich - 4LW
Walker - 13th Forward/Hershey
Johnsson - Hershey

Burakovksy on the right, I think he's better there.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'd like to see Bura start to play PK. I know Kuz one that center showcase battle but he was not bad in my recollection. So if he can continue to play multiple positions and starting adding some PK (with his reach and speed I don't see why not) he'll further add value. Just loath to give a player like this up as the end is in sight as AO/Backstrom starting sliding down lines as they age.

20 years or so ago I totally gave up on Jason Allison and ever since I’ve learned more and more to be very patient with young players.

Only thing I worry about on PK is him breaking bones by blocking shots. He has the ability I think to do a good job there

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
20 years or so ago I totally gave up on Jason Allison and ever since I’ve learned more and more to be very patient with young players.

Only thing I worry about on PK is him breaking bones by blocking shots. He has the ability I think to do a good job there

You didnt give up on much. Couple of really good years....couple of good ones....I believe the change of scenery allowed him to blossom. Not sure that would have happened here.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You didnt give up on much. Couple of really good years....couple of good ones....I believe the change of scenery allowed him to blossom. Not sure that would have happened here.

I don’t know about that. He had 3 or 4 outstanding to dominant years there with Boston.

Not to mention Carter (another good young player I brushed off)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

He's a Restricted Free Agent after this upcoming season, not unrestricted. Capitals will still be able to largely control his outcome, and have zero risk of losing him for nothing as even if he offer sheets elsewhere they get compensation (unless they don't qualify him).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
People will never learn re:burakovsky

Reminds me of the issues of The Hockey News player breakdown about Peter Bondra prior to his breakout.

They all ripped on Poile on a yearly basis as Poile insisted he’d be a 50 goal scorer but the “experts” said “we just don’t see it!”

Burakovsky may not be the scorer Bondra was but he has immense potential and the Caps need to see it out.

Show some patience. Most of you would have traded Wilson prior to this year

I say

Ovechkin
Vrana
Burakovsky
Chiasson/walker

I’m not so sure they don’t bring Chiasson back on a minimum contract.

Cheap veteran depth that the team is comfortable with

here's the problem BR...someone's got to go to fit into the cap. It's either:

Orpik
Burakovsky
Beagle
Kempny
Carlson

Probably 2 of those, to allow the rest to come back. I do not include Grubauer (IMO hes gone no matter what), or DSP or Chiasson or Jerabek. They are too inexpensive.

MAYBE we get lucky and its only 1 of those 5. But, its gotta be someone?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
here's the problem BR...someone's got to go to fit into the cap. It's either:

Orpik
Burakovsky
Beagle
Kempny
Carlson

Probably 2 of those, to allow the rest to come back. I do not include Grubauer (IMO hes gone no matter what), or DSP or Chiasson or Jerabek. They are too inexpensive.

MAYBE we get lucky and its only 1 of those 5. But, its gotta be someone?

I think they may just have to let Carlson walk truth be told.

I suspect if we sign him within 2 years 99% of people here who praise the signing will be looking for a way to dump him.

Look at Letang and Seabrook. I suspect the same for Carlson sadly.

He’s going to get at least 8x8 if he signs with us. Probably more.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know about that. He had 3 or 4 outstanding to dominant years there with Boston.

Not to mention Carter (another good young player I brushed off)

Dominant is a huge exaggeration. He was put with good players and played well. Terrible skater...injury issues. I didn’t miss him a minute as a Caps fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad