Where will Carey Price rank all time for goaltenders when he retires?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
161-10-18 when leading after 40 minutes throughout his career. Curious to see how this stacks up against other goalies. Anyone got some stats to help me put this in perspective?

Hasn't Freddy Andersen already lost 3 games this year after leading after 40 minutes?

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
People seems to forget how bad he was before that hart season. Need a couple of other good seasons before rating him in the tops of all time.

What? He had already finished 5th and 4th in Vezina voting. Has he ever been inconsistent? Absolutely. He seemed to easily lost his focus as a young goalie. But he's been a pretty spectacular netminder since 2013 now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
People seems to forget how bad he was before that hart season. Need a couple of other good seasons before rating him in the tops of all time.

Well, he was a statistically below-average netminder for only two seasons in his career; in 08-09 (and then again, he was just barely below average at 21 years old, which should really not be held against him, considering nearly no goaltender establishes himself at that age anymore, let alone becomes a starting netminder) and in 2014.

So, the facts say he wasn't bad whatsoever, and that means he wasn't bad, regardless of what you may think or write.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Right now, I am not convinced that Price is any better than Braden Holtby. He needs a couple of years to reestablish his place. I don't think Holtby's game last season was a fluke or a career year.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
He's a top 5 goalie this season... all time? Call back when he's got a Conn Smythe, a couple Cups, and a couple Vezinas. He's 29, still some time left but I think a guy like Jonathan Quick, who is 30, is much more decorated at this point in his career.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
hard to say. IMO I think he will be a marshawn lynch. dominant for 5 years then taper a lot.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think he's pretty comfortably separated himself from those goalies.

No problem if you thinks he's the best but those goalies have accomplished quite a bit and career wise there isn't that much of a separation.

For the past five years both Schneider and Rask have comparable stats and have both played more games.

Loungo has won 439 games, .919 sv%, 2.49 gaa (Olympics, Stanley Cup Final)
Price has won 235 games, .920 sv%, 2.42 gaa (Hart, Vezina, Olympics)
Lundqvist has won 377 games, .920 sv%, 2.49 gaa (Vezina, Olympics, Stanley Cup Final)
Quick has won 252 games, .916 sv%, 2.27 gaa (Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup x2, Olympics)
Fleury doesn't have the stats but has two Stanley Cups and won 360 games

Holtby is right there also with wins in the past few years and the Vezina.

If any of these guys win the Vezina or Cup this year than Price is looking up at them in all time standings.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Will likely slot in that tier with Lundqvist and Schneider just below Brodeur but above Roy and Belfour.

But I don't think Bettman and the Americans will ever let him win Hart trophy again. I think he's got at least another 2 or 3 Vezina in his future.

But we're seeing three generational talents, one at each position, on Canadian teams now. I have a feeling the league will want one of them traded to an American team. If Price gets moved to a new team all bets are off.

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
LOL, Price probably goes #2 in a 2005 re-do but Crosby is still #1 from that draft class. As to the ? of the thread I figure at best he gets top 30-40 all time if he stays healthy.

Crosby is obviously first so far , but i doubt he will play another 10 years with his concussions.With price you are looking at ~ 20 seasons of elite goalenting, very similar to Brodeur career.

embryoniccrusadah

Nov 3, 2011
if carey price were to retire today, i dont think he'd be ranked very high in terms of all time great goalies. right now i have goalies like chris osgood and ed belfour ahead of him. I'd say like he'd take a spot within top 15-20

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
if carey price were to retire today, i dont think he'd be ranked very high in terms of all time great goalies. right now i have goalies like chris osgood and ed belfour ahead of him. I'd say like he'd take a spot within top 15-20

...That's kinda like saying Jamie Benn ranks below Vincent Lecavalier and Mark Messier at this point : while it might be true, it just doesn't make a lot of sense as a statement.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
No problem if you thinks he's the best but those goalies have accomplished quite a bit and career wise there isn't that much of a separation.

For the past five years both Schneider and Rask have comparable stats and have both played more games.

Loungo has won 439 games, .919 sv%, 2.49 gaa (Olympics, Stanley Cup Final)
Price has won 235 games, .920 sv%, 2.42 gaa (Hart, Vezina, Olympics)
Lundqvist has won 377 games, .920 sv%, 2.49 gaa (Vezina, Olympics, Stanley Cup Final)
Quick has won 252 games, .916 sv%, 2.27 gaa (Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup x2, Olympics)
Fleury doesn't have the stats but has two Stanley Cups and won 360 games

Holtby is right there also with wins in the past few years and the Vezina.

If any of these guys win the Vezina or Cup this year than Price is looking up at them in all time standings.

To be fair, fleury didn't play at all for his 2nd cup so I take that one with a grain of salt. I say this as a pens fan.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
As others have said, he needs to win a bit more stuffs to be on the all time greatest discussion.

If he keeps this current level of play up? Christ yes he will be in the discussion. But right or wrong, a lot of these things come down to hardware. If he happens to not win a cup, he will be looking up at a lot of other guys.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Will likely slot in that tier with Lundqvist and Schneider just below Brodeur but above Roy and Belfour.

But I don't think Bettman and the Americans will ever let him win Hart trophy again. I think he's got at least another 2 or 3 Vezina in his future.

But we're seeing three generational talents, one at each position, on Canadian teams now. I have a feeling the league will want one of them traded to an American team. If Price gets moved to a new team all bets are off.

:laugh: Thats pretty rich.

embryoniccrusadah

Nov 3, 2011
...That's kinda like saying Jamie Benn ranks below Vincent Lecavalier and Mark Messier at this point : while it might be true, it just doesn't make a lot of sense as a statement.

Hm? If Jamie Benn were to retire today, yea his legacy would be worse than the other two mentioned players.

The question is where does Carey Price end up when he retires. I dont know when he'd retire but if he retired today, because he hasnt done much, he wouldnt have a great legacy.

I dont get your qualm with my point. Maybe I didnt fully flesh out my thought there budss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad