Where will Carey Price rank all time for goaltenders when he retires?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Talent wise sure... But health is a big question mark, meaning if it cuts his career short... Also he would need to win a Cup at the very least, I feel...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
according to The Donald Cherry he's the 2nd best goalie ever, only behind Terry Sawchuk :naughty:

but yea he needs to win 1-2 cups

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Right now? Absolutely not.

He does not have the longevity. He has some great season numbers...a few trophies, but that's it.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
He's an elite talent, but I don't think he has any chance of catching the likes of Hasek, Roy, or Brodeur.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
- I don't see him having a realistic shot of catching Brodeur, Hasek and Roy. If only because a BIG part of these three goalies legacy is that they were, at some point, able to best the other two.
- Even catching Belfour would be a tall order. Belfour is somewhere in the 15-25 range, depending.
- He doesn't need a cup to end up in the Top-30. I mean, Tony Esposito is a Top-30 goalie of all time (easily at that). He has a cup as a 3rd stringer. In other words, no Cup.
- As of now : knocking at the Top-40. Can't rank him ahead of Kiprusoff (yet), and if you aren't better than Kiprusoff, you aren't a Top-40 goalie of all time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How many of the all-time great goaltenders don't have a Stanley Cup?

Let's be honest about Price. As talented as he is, he's only had two really high-end seasons, 2014 and 2015. Obviously last year was a write off for him.

Sure he won a Hart/Vezina combo, but so did Theodore. I'm not comparing the two, but a 1x Hart/Vezina combo does not equal an all-time great.

He might be one of the best goaltenders we've ever seen based on his talent and how good he is.

All-time great (as defined by accomplishments) he's not there yet.

But he's 29, he should have plenty of time to add to his accomplishments.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The potential is for sure there.

Lets assume another 10 years in the league. Its tough to predict, but Im going to double his stats from what he has so far. 9 seasons so far with last season being injured for the majority of it. Its tough to gauge when his production will drop since he is in his prime right now arguably.

Assuming that he will finish with 876 games played, 466 wins, and 72 shutouts.

He would be 10th in games played, 4th in wins, and 12th in shutouts.

Obviously the big factor is Stanley Cups, Vezinas, and Hart trophies.

Assuming he wins a cup, I bet he finishes top 5 in everyones book. If he doesn't win a Cup, at least to me, he'll be in the same boat as a Roberto Luongo type guy which is top 10 in stats, but top 20 overall.

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
if he wasnt on the habs he'd be another 'yea hes a good goalie'

tim thomas put up a .938 one season, won 2 vezinas, won a cup

so far price was good then had 2 great seasons, he has to keep it up and win some more hardware

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
He's only been the best goalie in the league for the last 80 games or so, albeit those 80 games were incredible. He is a long way away from being considered one of the greats but it could happen.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Guy's had a one-and-a-half good seasons in his career and he's a top 10 of all time?

if he wasnt on the habs he'd be another 'yea hes a good goalie'

tim thomas put up a .938 one season, won 2 vezinas, won a cup

so far price was good then had 2 great seasons, he has to keep it up and win some more hardware

Yeah, people genuinely rate him as a top-10 player in the league which is just baffling to me. If he was not Canadian Olympic gold medalist playing for the Canadiens he would've not won the Hart trophy. No one cares about Cory Schneider, even though he's carried his teams twice as hard. He just happens to be non-Canadian.

Last edited:

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Guy's had a one-and-a-half good seasons in his career and he's a top 10 of all time?

Yeah, people genuinely rate him as a top-10 player in the league which is just baffling to me. If he was not Canadian Olympic gold medalist playing for the Canadiens he would've not won the Hart trophy. No one cares about Cory Schneider, even though he's carried his teams twice as hard. He just happens to be non-Canadian.

I completely agree with you. 100%

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Price needs to play some more full seasons. Lets start with just getting that out of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad