Where we went wrong.....

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
That's the way it should be however it seems that rumours are flying from all kind of reliable sources that Maclean will get his walking papers in the next few days if they lose any games. One look at the next few teams they are up against will tell you that that is a good bet.

Melnyk said that Bryan assured him that they are a playoff team and I have heard various people on Team 1200 that usually seem to be pretty close to the Sens that management thinks this is a playoff team.

Uncle Eugene doenst like to spend money but he does like to make it to the playoffs to make money.

That's a shame, because they may be the only ones who think this is a playoff team. Again.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
That's the way it should be however it seems that rumours are flying from all kind of reliable sources that Maclean will get his walking papers in the next few days if they lose any games. One look at the next few teams they are up against will tell you that that is a good bet.

Melnyk said that Bryan assured him that they are a playoff team and I have heard various people on Team 1200 that usually seem to be pretty close to the Sens that management thinks this is a playoff team.

Uncle Eugene doenst like to spend money but he does like to make it to the playoffs to make money.

ok i bet all my vcash vs yours that this is a total fabrication. Poney up eh

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i think it is a playoffs team with prime(ish) michalek and legwand and zibanejad stepping up majorly, but those were an overestimation

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Lowest payroll says they're a budget team, not a playoff team.

How often has the 30th in payroll made the playoffs?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Well it sure looks like the 29th ranked team in payroll is going to make the playoffs :P

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa

I actually started to check that out when we hit the bottom. It goes back a long way, and was back before the budget numbers were reliable. (Before CapGeek no one pro-rated contract figures when they figured stuff out.)

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
Well it sure looks like the 29th ranked team in payroll is going to make the playoffs :P

On average, 3 or 4 bottom 10 spending teams make the playoffs, while 8 out of the top 10 spending teams make the playoffs.

When discussing the impact of budget on team success it is always about odds, not absolutes.

I wrote a piece this past April about the impact of budget on success using the Sens as an example. If anyone is interested, it is here: http://69.195.124.204/~integtd8/context-part-1-spending/

This was actually one of my very first blog entries, so be gentle. It is not particularly polished. It does hit a lot of notes that are 100% relevant to the current discussions on these boards, which is why I am sharing here.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata

Calgary is overachieving by a long mile though. They are like what Sens were in 2013, when a strong team play is helping them win, also not unlike last year's Colorado. In long term, they still need to go through proper development phases to be a truely good team.

I have been thinking that teams like this (Sens in 2013 and 2012 were similar) tend to overestimate their own teams, which lead to short term thinking and fixes. The other day I saw someone mentioned 2006 Edmonton as another example, and Oilers thought (still think, however crazy that sounds) that success was real. Actually, was just an one-time deal. To rebuild, LA and Chicago are the models, as well as Detroit's model to maintain long team sustained success.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Don't bet on it. They're playing way too hard, a sprint run instead of a marathon. They're going to hit the ground with a thud when the veteran teams start turning it up in Jan-Feb.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Teams typically don't spend to become good. They become good first and are forced to spend to remain good. Until the time comes where we're not resigning our own players while they still have significant value, then what we're spending on payroll shouldn't really come into the discussion. The team made a conscious decision to start fresh with young players and the low payroll is a result of that.

What concerns me more isn't the amount of money we're spending right now, it's that I don't think that when the time comes where we're forced to pony up for our home grown talent, it won't be anywhere close to put us up to the cap which to me indicates the potential isn't there within the organization for us to take the next step. Also, Turris, Anderson and Karlsson taking long-term under market deals (relatively long-term for Anderson) doesn't make our payroll look any "better".

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I actually started to check that out when we hit the bottom. It goes back a long way, and was back before the budget numbers were reliable. (Before CapGeek no one pro-rated contract figures when they figured stuff out.)
What concerns me more isn't the amount of money we're spending right now, it's that I don't think that when the time comes where we're forced to pony up for our home grown talent, it won't be anywhere close to put us up to the cap which to me indicates the potential isn't there within the organization for us to take the next step. Also, Turris, Anderson and Karlsson taking long-term under market deals (relatively long-term for Anderson) doesn't make our payroll look any "better".
I think Murray did a great rebuild of the Farm team, and a pretty good start to an NHL caliber rebuild, but it's time for someone else to bring it to the next level.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Criticism of the team's payroll is valid, but you have to be careful on how you rectify that - can't just wildly go out and spend stupidly in free agency, which is becoming more and more problematic each passing year.

Draft well, develop well, rely on those players turning your team into a good team, and then spend that money trying to retain the talented core you've assembled.

It's a process. Needs patience and time. Short term pain for long term gain.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Criticism of the team's payroll is valid, but you have to be careful on how you rectify that - can't just wildly go out and spend stupidly in free agency, which is becoming more and more problematic each passing year.

Draft well, develop well, rely on those players turning your team into a good team, and then spend that money trying to retain the talented core you've assembled.

It's a process. Needs patience and time. Short term pain for long term gain.
And also needs a few top 3 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad