Prospect Info: Where They Will Play Season '20-'21

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
NHL camps, if all goes as scheduled, will be in November. Still no word on rookie camps, though. But I would bet those are off for the time being, as well. And then comes the question of what will the NCAA do with their schedule. They've cancelled their fall seasons, but that doesn't include ice hockey.

So a lot of uncertainty in the air right now.

If NCAA hockey is canceled, that will mean a lot of hockey players looking for a league to play in.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so what would that mean for Caufield specifically? Would he just go to the CHL? Does that seem likely?

it's anyone's guess. The season is slated to start in around 6-7 weeks depending on what conference. There hasn't been a single word yet on the plans. Classes should be starting this week or next or the following for most so we should hear something soon I would think.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So far no updates from any leagues pushing their start date back. Nothing new from the NCAA but I did see where Wisconsin issued a statement that they could be looking at losses of up to 100M next season. Their goalie Lebedeff has opted to leave the team and go back to home to play in Finland. Wisconsin had brought in a grad transfer and 2 Freshman goalies so with his struggles he might not have played much but still said his decision was in part to the unknown if there will be an NCAA season or not.

Goalie Daniel Lebedeff leaves Badgers to sign with pro team near home in Finland

also Pronman posted a rumor that the Canes draft pick Jack Dury who was at Harvard but since they canceled the season, he is leaving to go play in the SHL.

So maybe more kids will look to the Euro leagues if no NCAA season.

I'd definitely be ok with Struble, Harris & Caufield going to Europe. I'd prefer it in fact over the junior leagues. All 3 are used to playing against older players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is the AHL going ahead 100%?

right now it looks like all the leagues are slated to play except the NCAA, that one is the big question mark as they have not said anything other then the Ivy league schools canceling the season and even with that their own conference hasn't said it will cancel the season (there's still 6 non ivy league teams)

but of course we have to keep in mind at any point if there's a big spike all the sudden in whatever location or country any prospect is playing in then who knows what will happen.

From here on out till who knows when, things are going to be fluid. Right now i'm still seeing a number of NHL teams loaning Euro players to different Euro leagues. The thing with that is we don't know if they will be allowed to come back next season as for some reason the NHL is thinking of making them stay. Perhaps so teams don't send their best in case they can't get them back.

I still can't get over the lack of communication from the NCAA on hockey, we are talking about a season that is slated to start in some 40ish days or was and we have no word at all other then the season opening tournament they play every year called the Ice Breaker has been canceled. Other then that no word on are they playing, will they push the season back to Jan, schedules, travel, etc.. Right now there is just no info coming out anywhere that I can see saying one way or the other what the plan is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting options:

I learned something here. Some of the prospects in the NCAA have been drafted in the CHL & USHL. I only knew about Caufield. But all the others have other options if the NCAA doesn't go for this year.

Cole Caufield
CHL: Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
USHL: Sioux City Musketeers

Jordan Harris
CHL: Val D'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)
USHL: Youngstown Phantoms

Jayden Struble
CHL: Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL)
USHL: Tri-City Storm

Rhett Pitlick
USHL: Muskegon Lumberjacks (after being traded there from Omaha)

Jack Gorniak
USHL: Lincoln Stars
NAHL: Kenai River Brown Bears

Brett Stapley
CHL: Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
USHL: Green Bay Gamblers

That would certainly be interesting

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any news on the AHL? Mooseheads here in Halifax announced recently that they will have about 3000 per game.

Draft Reichel to play in the AHL with Bouchard? Bad or good idea?

AHL is looking at Dec start date. I moved this as this thread has all the info in the op for each leagues possible start date.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
AHL is looking at Dec start date. I moved this as this thread has all the info in the op for each leagues possible start date.

Cool. Any news on how many fans they will allow for AHL games? 50% capacity or 33%?

Wondering if that will be in line with what the NHL does as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As for the SHL, all 14 teams were slated to play on the 19th, no word yet which teams will start then and what teams will start on Oct 1st. As for now our 2 prospects were both set to play 3 games in Sept, of course we don't know yet if Olofsson will be cleared to play or not. Oct 1st the two prospects are due to face one another so if both teams get pushed back then I assume that would be that the first game as I doubt they are going to totally redo the schedule. The one upside is it would give Olofsson almost 2 more weeks to heal.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Any news on the AHL? Mooseheads here in Halifax announced recently that they will have about 3000 per game.

Draft Reichel to play in the AHL with Bouchard? Bad or good idea?

There was a rumor that players drafted out of Europe may not be able to play in North America.

Just a rumor though. But that shouldn't stop a team from drafting a European, obviously.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Cool. Any news on how many fans they will allow for AHL games? 50% capacity or 33%?

Wondering if that will be in line with what the NHL does as well.

there's some links posted in this thread but I don't think anything has been said on fans yet.

in baseball, which clearly is very different since it's outside but there's an independent league in the mid west that has had some fans since starting July 3rd and as a phillies fan i've heard that they are considering allowing season ticket holders into their minor league facilities in Reading and Lehigh Valley where they have 32 players split between the 2 cities in what makes up the 60 man roster. I know they have already let a few fans in at Reading but heard they are looking at opening it up to a good bit more.

I think for now we have to wait and see as you have the flue season coming up and that could cause a lot of problems with covid going on at the same time, to have fans indoors. It's just all very fluid and could change quickly as we get closer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
there's some links posted in this thread but I don't think anything has been said on fans yet.

in baseball, which clearly is very different since it's outside but there's an independent league in the mid west that has had some fans since starting July 3rd and as a phillies fan i've heard that they are considering allowing season ticket holders into their minor league facilities in Reading and Lehigh Valley where they have 32 players split between the 2 cities in what makes up the 60 man roster. I know they have already let a few fans in at Reading but heard they are looking at opening it up to a good bit more.

I think for now we have to wait and see as you have the flue season coming up and that could cause a lot of problems with covid going on at the same time, to have fans indoors. It's just all very fluid and could change quickly as we get closer.

100%... it's still fluid! I think they find ways but have to negotiate with each city first. That will take time

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There was a rumor that players drafted out of Europe may not be able to play in North America.

Just a rumor though. But that shouldn't stop a team from drafting a European, obviously.

i still see NHL teams loaning players to the Euro leagues but most Euro players. Just saw that NJ's Nick Merkley who is an RFA signed with Assat but has an NHL out clause. So if they don't allow players to come back then they just lost him for the year.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Halifax announced they will have 3000 fans per game. Pretty much the amount of season ticket holders they have. We have a 9,000-10,000 seat arena with two bowls
That’s one team though. That doesn’t mean the government will even allow that. If they go ahead, they’d absolutely have to restrict capacity. Not sure how they’d enforce it. Not to mention, all the players coming and going, travelling, etc. I hope they can do it.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
i still see NHL teams loaning players to the Euro leagues but most Euro players. Just saw that NJ's Nick Merkley who is an RFA signed with Assat but has an NHL out clause. So if they don't allow players to come back then they just lost him for the year.
I wonder if that applies to Ylonen? He’s back in Europe as far as I know.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s one team though. That doesn’t mean the government will even allow that. If they go ahead, they’d absolutely have to restrict capacity. Not sure how they’d enforce it. Not to mention, all the players coming and going, travelling, etc. I hope they can do it.

One city at a time. Not many CHL teams draw 7,000 per game. Most are around 2,000 - 4,000 range? Am I wrong? I think the hockey cities in NA is going to figure it out. Hard to say about Europe with so many countries.

Halifax is extremely conservative. If we approved it. Others will too

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder if that applies to Ylonen? He’s back in Europe as far as I know.

I don't know where he is, I assume he's in Finland but it would only apply if the Habs loan him to a Euro team and then if the NHL opts to not let players come back. I assume that's why they haven't loaned him yet, they are likely waiting to see what the NHL says perhaps as I assume they want him in Laval with Bouchard and don't want to risk that since he will count against the 50 if in Finland or wherever unless of course the NHL makes another rule change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad