Prospect Info: Where They Will Play Season '20-'21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Men's Hockey: Badgers Big Ten Hockey schedule releases
The upcoming season will feature 24-game conference schedules, plus an additional four games per school against Arizona State University, hosted at Big Ten venues. The 2020-21 schedule will conclude with the Big Ten Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament.
The 2021 Big Ten Hockey Tournament will return to the one-weekend, single-elimination format used during the first four years of Big Ten hockey and will feature all seven conference teams – Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin. The tournament will be held March 18-20 and will consist of six games (three games on Thursday, two games on Friday, and the championship game on Saturday).
Following protocols outlined in the Big Ten Return to Competition Task Force, the Badgers are mandated to undergo daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice/competition. Arizona State has agreed to adhere to the same testing protocols as the Big Ten Conference.
In addition to the variety of changes being applied to this program, the team may even play some home matchups in LaBahn Arena, and hand the Badgers a home-ice advantage on a silver platter.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Some teams in the USHL have announced their schedules.

- Omaha Lancers (Jakub Dobes) play their first game on Friday, November 6th.
- Chicago Steel (Sean Farrell) also play their first game on Friday, November 6th.

Muskegon (Rhett Pitlick) has yet to release their schedule.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
ECAC Planning 2 Division Format For Shortened Season

I looked back in this thread and I didn't find this info (unless I missed it or maybe it's been brought up in other threads), but the ECAC (where Sean Farrell will play with Harvard) has a scenario where they will split their conference in two divisions and the only time two teams from the other division will play each other would be in the ECAC Championship.

We already know that the Ivy League schools won't play before January 1st (@montreal has already given us this info).

Now we know Farrell will start with Chicago Steel in the USHL, but Timmins said that once the NCAA returns, he will go play there. We'll see how things go, obviously.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Although no Habs prospects are involved here, Atlantic Hockey is planning to return on the weekend of November 13-14 (same as Big Ten). The Independent LIU will join that conference.

The only other independent school in the NCAA, Arizona State, will join the Big Ten this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just found out that Blake Biondi plays for the Sioux Falls Stampede in the USHL. He was drafted by the Sioux City Musketeers and played games with them the last two years. However, last February, he was traded to Sioux Falls Stampede (where Jack Smith plays).

Looking at Sioux Falls' official website, Biondi is listed on their roster, but Jack Smith is not. I tried to see if Smith was traded, but couldn't find anything regarding that. Although after he was drafted, this website (https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/four-players-selected-in-2020-nhl-draft/n-5647033) talks about the Sioux Falls Stampede players that were drafted by NHL teams, and they mention this on Jack Smith:

Five picks later forward Jack Smith, who is set to play for the Stampede this season, was picked by the Montreal Canadiens with the 102nd overall selection. The St. Cloud, Minn. native tallied 26 goals and 23 assists in 17 games for St. Cloud Cathedral, including 10 goals in the Minnesota high school state tournament last March. He is committed to the University of Minnesota, Duluth.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Today, the NCHC agreed to a 26-game conference schedule with a start date of December 1st. They will also use the bubble approach (Omaha, Nebraska).

They will split the conference into two divisions.

Playing in the NCHC are Brett Stapley (Denver University) and Blake Biondi (University of Minnesota-Duluth).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just found out that Blake Biondi plays for the Sioux Falls Stampede in the USHL. He was drafted by the Sioux City Musketeers and played games with them the last two years. However, last February, he was traded to Sioux Falls Stampede (where Jack Smith plays).

Looking at Sioux Falls' official website, Biondi is listed on their roster, but Jack Smith is not. I tried to see if Smith was traded, but couldn't find anything regarding that. Although after he was drafted, this website (https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/four-players-selected-in-2020-nhl-draft/n-5647033) talks about the Sioux Falls Stampede players that were drafted by NHL teams, and they mention this on Jack Smith:

Five picks later forward Jack Smith, who is set to play for the Stampede this season, was picked by the Montreal Canadiens with the 102nd overall selection. The St. Cloud, Minn. native tallied 26 goals and 23 assists in 17 games for St. Cloud Cathedral, including 10 goals in the Minnesota high school state tournament last March. He is committed to the University of Minnesota, Duluth.

Biondi should be at school so he shouldn't be playing in the USHL this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They're playing a preseason game tonight. Will add it to the Prospects Thread. That roster may be from last year (after they acquired Biondi) and Jack Smith was hurt.

I believe the USHL rosters are slow to update as elite prospects doesn't have them updated and they are usually on the ball.

Biondi is listed on UMD's roster this season, jersey #7

2020-21 Men's Hockey Roster - UMD Athletics

Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

i just checked on the Stampede's website and I only see the 2019-2020 roster.

Game Center

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One thing to keep in mind with the USHL, this season 2 teams have opted not to play so they did a Dispersal Draft so all the other teams picked up several players. So in the preseason the USHL teams are likely going to use that time to get a look at whatever players they feel might be on the bubble as players that would normally have made their team may have to play in the NAHL which is tier 2 or something like the BCHL is to the WHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
some good news,

https://www.uscho.com/2020/10/17/nc...-omaha-pod-continue-in-january-at-nchc-rinks/

So the NCHC will start on 12-1 and be split into 2 parts. They will play in a bubble in Omaha for the 1st part. The conference will be split into 2 divisions, east and west.

east - Miami, UMD, SCSU, Western Michigan
west - Denver, CC, North Dakota, Omaha

Biondi - UMD
Stapley - Denver

teams in each division will face teams in their division 6 times each (3 * 6 so 18) then the other division 2 times each (2 * 4 so 8)

With the NCAA it's hard to project how teams will do from one season to the next due to the turn over, strength of Freshman classes and what players improve over the previous year. North Dakota was the top team in the NCAA and should be again, UMD was the first ever team to win back to back to back National Championships so they should be strong again. Denver is always tough. Not sure how tough SCSU will be. Miami's really fallen on hard times, Omaha has struggled to hang with the big dogs, CC has been up and down and former NHL coach Andy Murray usually has Western Michigan playing solid hockey. So it should be interesting to see.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
still waiting on the Hockey East, Big 10 and ECAC to announce their schedules. The WCHA was supposed to announce there's but rumors are it's at least a week away, so with mid Nov coming up quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they push back to Dec like the NCHC did.

Reactions: Hannibal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad