GDT: Where There’s a Cale There’s a Way - 7pm MT

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
He laid down some pretty big hits and didn't treat the puck like a grenade, so I was largely happy with his play last night. There was one moment I got annoyed, I think he was bodying up Dube in open ice, he did a good job of taking the man, but Dube fought through the check and went for the puck, MacDermid reached for it and could've knocked it away but whiffed, and Dube ended up carrying it in. So...whatever, he was mostly fine last night. Can't complain too much.

They’ve done an incredible job of getting to him to simplify his game to the max. Super low event hockey.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I noticed him. At one point Z landed a big hit on an Av player and MacDermid went to talk to him...Z was trying to justify himself and didn't look comfortable. :laugh:

MacDermid made at least one big hit and was in the middle of scrums at least once or twice. I didn't believe in having an enforcer in the past, but I like what MacDermid brings and when/if we're healthy, i'm good with him having on the ice for 5-10 minutes a game and letting the rest of the minutes be spread out to Byram/G/Makar/Toews.

He's not as bad at hockey as I thought and he's tough as nails. There is definitely room for him on this team IMO (assuming his next contract is under $1 mil)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s funny, I think the Avs have been a bit less impressive than last year, but they seem better at finding ways to win.

Last season they had the best underlying numbers and this year they’ve dropped to 7th in CF and 10th in XGF. It reminds me a little bit of Tampa Bay, who were 9th in both of those categories last season and similar this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
MacDermid made at least one big hit and was in the middle of scrums at least once or twice. I didn't believe in having an enforcer in the past, but I like what MacDermid brings and when/if we're healthy, i'm good with him having on the ice for 5-10 minutes a game and letting the rest of the minutes be spread out to Byram/G/Makar/Toews.

He's not as bad at hockey as I thought and he's tough as nails. There is definitely room for him on this team IMO (assuming his next contract is under $1 mil)

The funny thing is, MacDermid came in with a rep of being a typical goon, that's good at punching people, but bad at hockey.

But on the team that you would think is the worst fit in the NHL for a pure goon like that, that relies on speed and skill to make plays, he's looked real solid outside his early season struggles adjusting to the system. At both D and F, and he's gone back and forth multiple times seamlessly, which is super impressive to me.

There's seemingly no doubt he'll be brought back at this point. He deserves a multi year deal too IMO.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Darryl Sutter,
1648694436112.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You know it's a shame Darryl won't be able to farm this season because his coaching gig will be going so far into the summer...

How great would that be?

Every post game presser Bednar does, every interview he does, he just talks about how Calgary should be the favorites for the Cup, and Darryl is gonna need to hire some new help for the farm. Talk about how Gaudreau could walk as a UFA if they don't win the Cup.

Raise the expectations for the Flames like crazy. They're not gonna win the expectations battle between Calgary and Denver for hockey. :laugh:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The Avs won last night with a depleted roster against what is probably the second best team in the WC, on the road no less, and you're whining about JT Compher?

What's it like to have him live in your head rent free every waking moment?
I dare someone to show me a more overused saying in the last 5 years than “rent free.” I cringe reading it…

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The funny thing is, MacDermid came in with a rep of being a typical goon, that's good at punching people, but bad at hockey.

But on the team that you would think is the worst fit in the NHL for a pure goon like that, that relies on speed and skill to make plays, he's looked real solid outside his early season struggles adjusting to the system. At both D and F, and he's gone back and forth multiple times seamlessly, which is super impressive to me.

There's seemingly no doubt he'll be brought back at this point. He deserves a multi year deal too IMO.
I'll be honest, his versatility is probably worth giving him a two year deal. But here's the question...what's the dollar amount? This is his first swing at UFA as well. But he also seems to love life here and probably has played a more significant role than he imagined at least more than I could have imagined. But what is that + his ability and willingness to engage in the sweet science adds up to what exactly per year?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll be honest, his versatility is probably worth giving him a two year deal. But here's the question...what's the dollar amount? This is his first swing at UFA as well. But he also seems to love life here and probably has played a more significant role than he imagined at least more than I could have imagined. But what is that + his willingness and ability to engage and dare I say excel in the sweet science just adds up to what? 1.25x2? Does that get it done for a UFA? Is that overpay?

I'd say $1M x 2 is fair. That's the contract the Ducks gave Deslauriers.

Reeves makes $1.75M but he's had 20 and 15 point seasons. Dermy's best production has been 8 and 4. He's currently got 4 points this year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd say $1M x 2 is fair. That's the contract the Ducks gave Deslauriers.

Reeves makes $1.75M but he's had 20 and 15 point seasons. Dermy's best production has been 8 and 4. He's currently got 4 points this year. But unlike Reaves, he can play both F and D. Last person I saw able to switch that effortlessly between the two was Eric Messier. I'm just not sure how much that is worth but I suppose if I heard it was anywhere between 1M-1.75M per year, I would probably shrug and say, atta boy Dermy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It’s funny, I think the Avs have been a bit less impressive than last year, but they seem better at finding ways to win.

Last season they had the best underlying numbers and this year they’ve dropped to 7th in CF and 10th in XGF. It reminds me a little bit of Tampa Bay, who were 9th in both of those categories last season and similar this year.

I dont really think its fair to compare them from last year to this year. They played in a complete ass of a division last year and didn't play anybody else. They had seriously inflated numbers because of that.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Jost never got a big contract. He signed for almost league minimum off his ELC on a 1 year deal, then got a small bridge deal last summer.

JTC did, but he also kind of earned it IMO. He was very good for us that year and in the playoffs. He just hasn't played to that level consistently enough ever since.

But I also think this board is significantly harder on JTC then they should be. He's turned into the unanimous whipping boy for the last 2+ years now and while yes, at times he can be frustrating(Especially knowing what he's capable of playing like), he's still an NHL level player, well above replacement level.
I agree with you that he's still an NHL player but he's a terrible fit on this particular team.

He's gets more opportunities than anyone else in the bottom-6 and has little to show for it. He makes a lot of mistakes defensively, can be known to take bad penalties and often gives up to the puck with ZERO consequences and THAT'S the reason the whipping boy thing is well deserved.

In the Calgary game, he made a terrible play behind his net to give the puck to the opposition, took a penalty that led to a goal against and was STILL out there in the final minute with the empty net.

People are going to have to get used to it... he is :
**trumpet sound**

Son of Bednar, The Unbenchable

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad