Where the NHL Stashes Its Mistakes

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
One of today's Editor's Picks in the Wall Street Journal

Last spring, goaltender Michael Leighton led the Philadelphia Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals. One month later, he cashed in with a two-year, $3.1 million contract.

On a recent night in January, however, Leighton was minding the net for the Adirondack Phantoms of the American Hockey League at the Glens Falls Civic Center in upstate New York. The crowd of 3,889 was a little bigger than normal, but not on his account. It was Girl Scout night. "It's tough just to think about it," Leighton says.

Former New York Rangers defenseman Wade Redden, a two-time All-Star, is taking eight hour bus rides as a member of the Connecticut Whale. At a salary of $6.5 million, he earns the AHL's minimum salary of $37,500 in just over one period of play.

As you might expect, the disparities in income on these teams now creates some unusual situations. In minor league hockey, there's a tradition known as "The Board," where players place small sums of money for the scorer of the game's game-winning goal to collect. Most nights, the board can be $100 or so. No longer. Redden has placed iPads on the board and Commodore has put up as much as $1,000.

The NHL's waiver system makes it unlikely any of these players will be back in the big league anytime soon. If a player is picked up on waivers, both his new team and his old team must add half the player's salary to their salary cap total. For players like Redden, who signed a six-year guaranteed contract in 2008, that's a huge disincentive that has turned the AHL into hockey's version of a white-collar prison.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the move isn't common enough to be a problem yet, but that the number of "high-profile players" with big contracts who've been sent down for cap management is a situation that "bears watching."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...4700332602230.html?mod=WSJ_hps_editorsPicks_3

BadHammy*

You're just looking at it all wrong. Some of these AHL guys have never even seen an Ipad before:laugh:

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Daly says it "bears watching" His code words for "move along, nothing to see here." Agree?

Let's see, where have we heard that before? Oh ya, his comments on Winnipeg radio that the Atlanta situation may "bear watching" Same definition....move along, nothing to see here.

Or maybe he likes watching bears. Or watching bare bears...:badidea:

If the wealthy teams can afford it, prop up the Minors with brand name players. Who does it really hurt?

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm torn on this issue: do you feel for the player because he's been shoved down onto the farm team? Or do you say 'tough, he's still making millions more than I ever will'?

Like any other line of work, you've got to produce to prove your worth.

But these guys are fortunate that their contracts are honored, and they're still doing what the love, just not on the big state.
I know I don't have the luxury of still getting paid if I was ever 'sent down'.

And I don't think there's anyting the NHL can really do here - if a player doesn't live up to his contract, why should he be forced to stay on the team? Just makes things worse.
And you can't force other teams to take them - I think the system they have now is fine - buyout for a % (but it goes against the cap), send him down or the player walks away.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Pretty good on Redden & Commodore etc... They don't have to share their wealth but its nice to see them put some incentives up for the young guys.

Winning an ipad is a pretty big thing when you only make $37k a year.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I'm torn on this issue: do you feel for the player because he's been shoved down onto the farm team? Or do you say 'tough, he's still making millions more than I ever will'?

Like any other line of work, you've got to produce to prove your worth.

But these guys are fortunate that their contracts are honored, and they're still doing what the love, just not on the big state.
I know I don't have the luxury of still getting paid if I was ever 'sent down'.

And I don't think there's anyting the NHL can really do here - if a player doesn't live up to his contract, why should he be forced to stay on the team? Just makes things worse.
And you can't force other teams to take them - I think the system they have now is fine - buyout for a % (but it goes against the cap), send him down or the player walks away.

What the hell is there to feel for? I can't even comprehend a reason.

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
I don't feel for the players in the slightest. They could have refused to report and had their contracts torn up, and they're still getting very handsomely compensated to play hockey.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
guarenteed contracts are definitely going to be going the way of the dinosaur, in the next CBA, the trade off is of course the salary cap

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
guarenteed contracts are definitely going to be going the way of the dinosaur, in the next CBA, the trade off is of course the salary cap

Mod note - please keep this discussion focused on the issue of large contracts in the AHL (or assigned to Europe).

If you want to discuss changes to the upcoming CBA, please discuss in this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=798214

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad