• Marleau - Bozak - Marner

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • JVR - Marleau - Marner

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
On the third line, with one Riemsdyk traded to have Brown-Bozak-Marner, then insert Kapanen on the fourth. #FreeKapanen

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
If this team needs the 4th line to score, we're already losing.

Besides, the reason Marner was demoted was because of the two lazy vets who didn't help him out in his own zone, however the line he's on essentially cannot help him in the offensive zone so what's the point?

As others have said, drop Komarov and use the 4th line to agitate, our best friggin talent doesn't belong there...skate him hard, have him spend hours viewing video, do what you have to, but let him at least play in the top 9.
I’d rather Brown on the 4th, but Marner’s gonna have to earn his way back up. In that sense, the shuffle is working. As the game went on, Marner looked more engaged. It’s not about getting him all the offensive chances, it’s about having him play with these hard working guys, to make sure he stays humble, for lack of a better word. Take Nylander and Matthews- they celebrate, sure, but when things aren’t going their way, they don’t sulk, they dig down and make things happen. Marner hasn’t been doing that since he got injured last season. They need him to. Fehr and Martin aren’t offensive talents, but they’re journeymen who have that same ethic.

As for the fourth line, the team’s strength is its offense. The more the season goes on, the tighter the checking will get. Having a good offensive threat(hopefully Brown by then) on the 4th will be a huge asset down the line. When you stack your lines with your top talent, you’re seeing diminishing returns... and Babcock knows that, which is why a guy like Hyman is on the 1st, Komarov on the third, and Brown/Marner got relegated to the 4th.

I personally would like to see Leivo replace Martin some nights. Make the team that much more dangerous.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I have no hate at all for Marner. As a matter of fact I've always been routing for him but he is not playing at the level he was last year. JVR and Bozak started on fire so why blame them? They were defensively weak last year and are the same this year, but their offensive play has been productive yet they are the reason Marner is not playing as well as he can? :dunno:

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Any possibility this is the Leafs trying to affect Marner's next contract by playing him on the 4th line?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I still think Marner should be on that JVR-Bozak line. They just need some time apart to work on their defensive game and their hustle, apart from each other. As for Brown, he should most definitely be in that top 9 on a Marleau-Kadri-Brown line. If he hasnt played his way into the top 9, then im beginning to not know what does anymore

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
if you want to teach Marner to be more responsible defensively, why not give him an important defensive assignment? (Komarov would be great with Martin and Moore anyway.)

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Moore - Komarov

Honestly, putting JVR and Bozak with a solid 200-foot player never should have taken this long. I don't mean Marner solid. I mean talented PKer and offensive skill. Brown is a great fit for that line.

Reactions: one77

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Moore - Komarov
Fehr/Leivo

edit: ^ Great minds think alike

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

Leivo - Austin - Willy
J.V.R - Kadri - Marner
Patty - Bozak - Brown
Komy - Fehr - Hyman
--------------------------
Martin - Moore
--------------------------
LINE 1: Leivo's bigger than Hyman & a better passer/finisher. Just tell him to play hard or sit (increased PTS & similar +/-)
LINE 2: Kadri's better than Bozak at defense & finishing. He'll fix defensive issues & improve scoring (increased PTS & +/-)
LINE 3: Marleau/Brown will cover for Bozaks defensive issues. Bozak's a passer with 2 scoring wingers (increased PTS & +/-)
LINE 4: The NHL's best 4th line & a matchup nightmare. All 3 will stay fresh for penalty kill minutes (increased PTS & +/-)
---------------------------
*Kadri & Bozak can be switched back whenever Kadri's needed to match-up agianst a super star.
*Moore can sub in for Fehr to make the 4th line a bigger scoring threat.
*Martin can sub in for Fehr whenever we need an enforcer (Hyman & Komarov both have experience at center).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner should stay where he is for now because we are winning and playing well.
He should also stay there to work on his strength and defensive game for next year.
Perhaps next year Nylander can assume Bozak's role and we get:
-Matthews-Marner
-Kadri
-Nylander

Or Nylander stays with Matthews and we get another defensively sound 3C with some offense and a better, stronger Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if the Leafs will ever revisit the notion of developing Marner as a centerman?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Mariner needs to work himself out of this funk, and when he does, he'll get off the line. Brown made his own destiny, and it's time for Mitch to do the same. He's certainly more talented than Brownie, just needs to be a bit more attentive with the puck, and a bit more dogged in pursuing it.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Marner's start to the season has been a complete bust.

He belongs on the 4th line, and should stay there.

5 on 5, there is scoring, just not by his team. Even in that Detroit game, he could have made a defensive play, but one step short, and late. Always.

The future is now. The team cannot have someone playing as poorly as Marner is right now.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Marner's start to the season has been a complete bust.

He belongs on the 4th line, and should stay there.

5 on 5, there is scoring, just not by his team. Even in that Detroit game, he could have made a defensive play, but one step short, and late. Always.

The future is now. The team cannot have someone playing as poorly as Marner is right now.

Holy crap, he’s a 20 year old that’s played his 7 games of his second NHL season. We’re 6-1 at the beginning of the season, not playing in the Stanley Cup final. Marner hasn’t been playing his best, but it really isn’t that big of a deal. One of the things that was obvious when watching him even during the tail end of last season was that teams started focusing on him. It went from JVR being the biggest threat on the line and Marner being the smallest at the beginning of the season, to Marner being the biggest and teams obviously started zoning in on that. The big thing to see is if Marner will be able to adapt and overcome that. There’s a reason the sophomore slump is a thing. Matthews is a generational talent (yea I’m saying it) and Nylander is a year older, can we cool the expectations for Marner just a bit? This team doesn’t need Marner’s A-game to win games, so why not be patient with him?

Reactions: blueberrie

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
JVR - Matthews - Brown
Hyman - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapi/:popcorn:
Martin - Moore - Komar

Bozak out, winger in:popcorn:.

There will be pain, but Marner does not need to be tested, he needs to be sheltered and someone he can give the puck too. Matthews will have to carry the 1st line but if anyone can do it, its him. Nylander will get his own line, he probably need someone with experience, so Kapanen is not a sure thing on that line. 4th line is what it is.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If a player is going to turnover the puck on a regular basis, they need defensively orientated babysitters.
Matt Martin does nothing, but his +/- last season was better then Kadri and Marner... the
two worst forwards in that statistic.... and the two of the biggest turnover machines on the Leafs.
For all the excitement that some players bring, they aren't winning the hockey game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If a player is going to turnover the puck on a regular basis, they need defensively orientated babysitters.
Matt Martin does nothing, but his +/- last season was better then Kadri and Marner... the
two worst forwards in that statistic.... and the two of the biggest turnover machines on the Leafs.
For all the excitement that some players bring, they aren't winning the hockey game.

That's right. I can't believe Leivo has not been put in for Martin though. Why the heck not try that out while you have the chance. Is Leivo getting driven out of the league? This is not some Coraddo situation. This is a good player that has actually performed well every time he is up.

Without a reason given, this a valid reason to get pissed at Babcock.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
That's right. I can't believe Leivo has not been put in for Martin though. Why the heck not try that out while you have the chance. Is Leivo getting driven out of the league? This is not some Coraddo situation. This is a good player that has actually performed well every time he is up.

Without a reason given, this a valid reason to get pissed at Babcock.

Leivo is terribly inconsistent. And it goes shift by shift. It’s obvious Babcock doesn’t see him in the NHL and I agree. Career minor leaguer.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's obviously not going to work here for Leivo. Even if someone gets injured I'm not so sure he draws in. Trade him, let the guy play. I've said it before, he won't let Rosen/Borgman sit for long, nor Moore/Fehr and he won't take Martin out for even a game. But it's fine Leivo sits - who could be part of the future here, but at this rate we'll never know

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's obviously not going to work here for Leivo. Even if someone gets injured I'm not so sure he draws in. Trade him, let the guy play. I've said it before, he won't let Rosen/Borgman sit for long, nor Moore/Fehr and he won't take Martin out for even a game. But it's fine Leivo sits - who could be part of the future here, but at this rate we'll never know

From the outside looking in... Coach dislikes said player like he did Panik.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
t's obviously not going to work here for Leivo. Even if someone gets injured I'm not so sure he draws in. Trade him, let the guy play.
Who cares? It's a business, you can't trade a player because you 'want him to play'. He will play here when his opportunity comes up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Who cares? It's a business, you can't trade a player because you 'want him to play'. He will play here when his opportunity comes up.

People are just saying there is no obvious reason to the eye as to why, Leivo is not being played. I think he would look good with Mitch is my curiosity. Martin does almost nothing so far this year.

#hockeypolitics strikes again I am afraid.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
People are just saying there is no obvious reason to the eye as to why, Leivo is not being played. I think he would look good with Mitch is my curiosity. Martin does almost nothing so far this year.

#hockeypolitics strikes again I am afraid.

Ask the Leaf players, especially the younger ones, what Martin provides to this team. Questioning whether Martin deserves to be on this team is ridiculous. A good team always has a balance of skilled players and role players. Leivo isnt playing because he doesnt deserve to play, plain and simple.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ask the Leaf players, especially the younger ones, what Martin provides to this team. Questioning whether Martin deserves to be on this team is ridiculous. A good team always has a balance of skilled players and role players. Leivo isnt playing because he doesnt deserve to play, plain and simple.

It is not for reasons the average person can see. He had a great camp, great pre season and great past year. His speed seemed pretty good and everything. Martin is a face smasher and thats it, I don't really care if he is carrying bags, helping Mitch use salts or whatever. Who cares, he does not perform. If they want to trade JVR and have a top9 guy that can score and hit and brawl I am all for it. The useless face smashers are done though. They are done. Basically we need a Clarky over here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad