Where O Where Is Our Next Franchise Defenceman?

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
It seems we're not calling this near-unicorn level of dman "true #1" anymore, so I guess this is a step in the right direction, but come on... why are we equating "franchise" dman with HHOF dman?

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
I can't even remember when the last time was.

I'm talking a Pronger/Niedermeyer/Weber/Keith/Chara/Subban defenceman. I don't think we have EVER really had a defenceman like that.

There's a reason they usually stay with one team for their whole careers. You have to basically strike it rich in the draft or hope that one somehow becomes available due to certain circumstances (as Pronger did.) Teams aren't exactly lining up to get rid of them.

It's fairly uncommon for them to stay with one team. Lidstrom is about the only retired one that I can think of. Even Bourque left Boston eventually. Potvin with the Islanders could be included as well. Weber/Keith/Subban are far from done their careers so can't include them on the list, and the other bolded have already played for multiple teams, with Pronger playing for 5.

Three ways to get a franchise defenceman. Over spend via trade(Pronger traded once for Lupul, Smid, and Eberle, another time for Shanahan(after coming off back-to-back 50+ goal seasons)). Or get lucky in the draft(Karlsson 7th defenceman drafted in 2008, Subban 17th defenceman draft in 2007, Letang 3rd round pick/Yandle 4th round pick in 2005). Final way is to have a top three pick(Drew Doughty, Ekblad, Hedman, etc.) while still getting lucky(See Jack and Eric Johnson, Barker, etc.)

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It seems we're not calling this near-unicorn level of dman "true #1" anymore, so I guess this is a step in the right direction, but come on... why are we equating "franchise" dman with HHOF dman?

Because he will probably be shafted by the HHOF due to canucks... so we'll just call him franchise...

For me I think a Hoff level/skillset should be the target...

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
When I think franchise dman I think of someone who could possibly win a Norris. I don't think we've ever really had one of those but I do remember that at one point either Edler or Ehrhoff or both had a few 3rd place votes. I was too young to really follow the stats side of the game when Lumme was around. One of the most depressing thread I have ever come across on HF was in the polls section where they were ranking the Canucks all-time best defesenmen. It was horrifying.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I sure hope Jordan Subban becomes one for us. PK said it himself that he thinks Jordan is more skilled than he is. He's having a promising season in junior this year.

He might be a good offensive Dman but i doubt he'll be a franchise Dman. Who was the last "franchise" dman that was so short? Almost all the ones you can name are quite a bit bigger then he was. I think the closest might be Lidstrom but he was 6'1...

There are many example of elite offensive dman that are smaller/shorter but i can't think of any "franchise" dman (as in solid all-around game in BOTH ends).

As far as our next... the question really should be when we manage to find one in the draft. The other option is hope Edler somehow develops into one. He has all the tools to develop into one and its still not too late. If he signs another contract with us (or if he has a couple great seasons), he'll pretty much hold every dman record for us, which by definition, i guess makes him a "franchise" dman too. :laugh:

Wilbur*

Nikita Tryamkin. He's got all the tools you could want, but does he have the IQ and endurance?

Paigow

Jan 27, 2012
How to upgrade the defence

The current defence is barely adequate in it's line up.
Benning is going to have to make some big moves.
Here's what I think he will do:
Tyler Myers from Buffalo for Tanev & Kassian.
Like many have said you need to pay through the nose for potential number 1 defense man. This is a high price, but it is what it will take get the job done.
Kassian is a wild card who may develop into a Bertuzzi like power forward.
Kassian has made himself expendible with his indifferent play & the fact the Mattias has strongly outplayed him on the 4th line.
Myers is a bit of a risk due to his spotty play since his rookie year.
Sometimes you need to take a risk to get a quality player.

The second move would be Cody Franson from Toronto for Bieska.
Franson is going to be moved because he is a UFA.
Toronto doesn't want to pay the $5 mill he is looking for.
Toronto fans aren't looking to make a killing on the deal.
They are more concerned with the team signing him to a big contract,
or alternatively walking away as a UFA for nothing.
Toronto would see Bieska as a fair return.
Yes I know Bieska has a no trade contract.
Toronto would be the only team the Kevin would accept a trade to.
With Toronto on the rise & playoff bound Benning need to work on Kevin for the rest of the season.
This is a critical deal for the future as you are trading a 33 year old for a 27 year old.

New Pairings

Hamhuis Myers 6'8"
Edler Franson 6'5"
Sbisa Stanton

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
i am intreged with Hutton.when are we going to see this guy?Same with Mcnally,we drafted him how long ago?

Hutton is a pure offensive dman who still needs to work on the defensive side of his game. I'm pretty sure he'll finish his degree so 1 more year (after this one) before we'll see him in Utica (assuming we sign him). Mcnally i believe grads this year so we'll either sign him or he'll be a UFA in Aug.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
The current defence is barely adequate in it's line up.
Benning is going to have to make some big moves.
Here's what I think he will do:
Tyler Myers from Buffalo for Tanev & Kassian.
Like many have said you need to pay through the nose for potential number 1 defense man. This is a high price, but it is what it will take get the job done.
Kassian is a wild card who may develop into a Bertuzzi like power forward.
Kassian has made himself expendible with his indifferent play & the fact the Mattias has strongly outplayed him on the 4th line.
Myers is a bit of a risk due to his spotty play since his rookie year.
Sometimes you need to take a risk to get a quality player.

The second move would be Cody Franson from Toronto for Bieska.
Franson is going to be moved because he is a UFA.
Toronto doesn't want to pay the $5 mill he is looking for.
Toronto fans aren't looking to make a killing on the deal.
They are more concerned with the team signing him to a big contract,
or alternatively walking away as a UFA for nothing.
Toronto would see Bieska as a fair return.
Yes I know Bieska has a no trade contract.
Toronto would be the only team the Kevin would accept a trade to.
With Toronto on the rise & playoff bound Benning need to work on Kevin for the rest of the season.
This is a critical deal for the future as you are trading a 33 year old for a 27 year old.

New Pairings

Hamhuis Myers 6'8"
Edler Franson 6'5"
Sbisa Stanton

Those 2 moves would ensure we are a lottery team for a few years. Myers has been horrible and is a downgrade over Tanev. At this point we are better off hoping Nikita Tryamkin develops into a #1 or Edler continues his turn around. Either is MORE likely to happen then Myers turning his game around into a franchise Dman. Also Matthias and ZK has nothing to do with each other. ZK has more offensive upside then Matthias and comparing the 2 makes me wonder if you actually watched the games or just look at the stat sheets. Matthias has played great lately and has been hot/producing but he does NOT have the same offensive skillset as ZK. ZK has not been replaced tho given the chemistry of the 3rd line, you'll wonder where he'll play when he gets back (if everyone is healthy). It would be interesting seeing him with Horvat and maybe Burrows. :laugh:

The Franson deal is interesting but unless the Leafs are certain they can't resign him, they won't trade him. As far as i know he likes being a Leaf and the Leaf probably wants to keep him. There's little chance we can get him for KB3 nor would the move be all that popular. KB3 is a fan fav and more importantly, he's a leader in the locker room. You rarely see a team fighting for a playoff spot trade one of their leaders away. Since we are NOT the Oilers (aka sellers every year), we are not trading KB3. Basically neither team would do this deal. It would be a great deal for us if this was NHL 15 and you don't consider team chemistry/leadership or what a player brings off the ice.

Paigow

Jan 27, 2012
Salary

The Franson deal works on salary at $5.0 M v $4.5M for Kevin which is manageable.
The Myers deal does not work on fact that he earns $5.0 M v. Tanev current $1.5M.
The Salary gap is too large too work.

Yes I'm fully aware of who Kassian is & what he may be worth if he ever tries to work hard every shift for the rest of his career. Once a slacker, always a slacker.
Zach is the type of guy who would lead his team in ENG's except his coach never trust's him enough to play him in those situations.

An alternate trade than Myers would be Adam Larsson from the Devils.
He was a 4th overall pick but there are rumblings out of NJ that he is busting.
The deal I would do here is Kassian & Stanton for Larsson.
This gives them a quality prospect and & a solid young D man for the 3rd pairing.

That way he could develop in in the 6/7 in competition with Weber & as injury depth:

Hamhuis Tanev
Edler Franson
Sbisa Weber/ Larsson

This line up a lot more effective than current over the short & long term

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
The Franson deal works on salary at $5.0 M v $4.5M for Kevin which is manageable.
The Myers deal does not work on fact that he earns $5.0 M v. Tanev current $1.5M.
The Salary gap is too large too work.

Yes I'm fully aware of who Kassian is & what he may be worth if he ever tries to work hard every shift for the rest of his career. Once a slacker, always a slacker.
Zach is the type of guy who would lead his team in ENG's except his coach never trust's him enough to play him in those situations.

An alternate trade than Myers would be Adam Larsson from the Devils.
He was a 4th overall pick but there are rumblings out of NJ that he is busting.
The deal I would do here is Kassian & Stanton for Larsson.
This gives them a quality prospect and & a solid young D man for the 3rd pairing.

That way he could develop in in the 6/7 in competition with Weber & as injury depth:

Hamhuis Tanev
Edler Franson
Sbisa Weber/ Larsson

This line up a lot more effective than current over the short & long term

Do you really think NJD would trade Larsson for so little? You're over-valuing ZK right now if you think he'll fetch you Larsson. Try it on NJD board and see how much you'll get flame to even suggest Larsson for Stanton and ZK. If you want Larsson, you can almost guarantee the discussion starts with Horvat or JV going the other way. That's also assuming NJD even wants to trade him (which i don't believe they do).

I never said anything about us not being able to take Franson's salary but rather you forgot to consider what KB3 brings to the team off the ice. You do NOT trade a leader from your team when you're in the middle of a playoff race or at least a contender (which we are). Not to mention why would Toronto trade him unless they are certain they can't resign him? He wants to be in Toronto, they want him... basically there's little reason to believe he won't sign an extension there. The trade makes no sense to both team and is likely one of the few deals you'll see teams of BOTH teams rejecting because it makes 0 sense. Does it make us better on the ice? In theory yes, in practice probably no. The answer is likely the same for Toronto.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Lumme and perhaps Reinhart (couple of seasons only) were the only ones close. Brown was a #1 PPQB but not much else in his short time here.

Ohlund had it all except for that offensive dimension. Hamhuis too, though he's not built like a tank like Ohlund was.

Jovo really only put it together for a couple of seasons and was never great defensively, but I'd say he was a #1 during that brief time.

Salo was really underrated but never better than a #2 really, which is where I'd peg Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa at their peaks.
I'd say Reinhart was pretty much the only #1 D we've ever had - he literally carried the team to a playoff spot (no Canuck defenseman has ever done that).

Jovo had the luxory of the WCE in front of him - as well as Ohlund handling the defensive duties.

Reinhart had pretty much only a rookie/sophmore named Linden (as as good as he was then - he wasn't on the level of the WCE at their peak).

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Wouldn't trade Tanev straight up for Myers.

What LPH said. Myers in the most overrated player in the league, wouldn't trade anything more than McCann for him.

Don't say that in the Detroit Rumour for Myers thread. I said Myers was overpaid and got chewed out for it. Myers isn't a franchise guy and shouldn't even be considered as an option to obtaining one. Not to mention the ridiculous price tag placed on him by the Sabers. We should target potential #1s like Larsson or perhaps prospects like Reinhart (NYI) as its much easier to grab one than say an established guy like OEL.

Arizona apparently is selling everyone, I assume OEL can be had and is no longer untouchable but acquiring him would take everything from the farm to the kitchen sink. :cry:

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
3 way trade.

Edmonton gets Hamhuis
Canucks get OEL
Arizona gets Eberle + Corrado

:)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can't even remember when the last time was.

I'm talking a Pronger/Niedermeyer/Weber/Keith/Chara/Subban defenceman. I don't think we have EVER really had a defenceman like that.

There's a reason they usually stay with one team for their whole careers. You have to basically strike it rich in the draft or hope that one somehow becomes available due to certain circumstances (as Pronger did.) Teams aren't exactly lining up to get rid of them.
I'll bite. I think Matthias Ohlund was matching Adam Foote stride for stride at one point, and Foote was arguably as important to that Avs team as Blake, who is as good as some of these guys you're mentioning

Tom.H

Sep 27, 2002
Kelowna
Visit site
I have another name that admittedly may not be accepted because it was on the tail end of his career.
Dave Babych had an absolutely incredible career; I think he even made the HHOF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad