GDT: Where is Timo? Who is Timo? How is Timo? - Your New Jersey Devils (40-15-5) @ Vegas Golden Knights (36-19-6), 10 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just finished this one. Vegas had some spurts of good sustained pressure, especially in the 2nd. But the Devils just got flat out goalied. Nothing you can do.

The best thing Vegas did was stymie our speed and system with adjustments for part of the 2nd period.

That’s my biggest concern, or the biggest unknown, going into the playoffs. What coaching adjustments a good team will make against us and vice versa.

We also looked like a well-oiled machine defensively (except when two forwards randomly gave the puck to opposing players) but then later got a little too loosey goosey.

I’m not concerned that it’s hard to score against excellent goaltending performances, that’s always true for all teams. (And we had 3 goals.)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’ve been making it clear to friends who don’t fully understand my level of giddy schoolgirl excitement over this team,

This is literally the first time in my LEGAL ADULT LIFE the Devils are elite again. I was still 17 when we were eliminated in 2012 (late June birthday).

Man, does this feel good. I f***ing love them so much oh my f***ing f***.
This made me think about when I was 17 about to turn 18 with a late July birthday and all giddy about the Devils making the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. Time flies.

Spent the year watching, hoping that Verbeek would get to 50 or Captain Kirk would break 100....it didn't happen but that season was pure magic. Even when Craig Janney walked Daneyko in game 7 of the ECF to end the dream I was still so happy with it all...to this day I believe we would have given Edmonton a far better contest than Boston did in that finals.

Great to know people are getting the opportunity to have an experience like that again.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
the even better part is i havent looked at any shootout stats in this same 10 year period after the fact nor looked at highlights nor even watch other teams' shootouts.

i just is not a part of my world.

one more thing. i felt dirty watching tonight's penalty shot and not in a good way.

All this discussion of the trash shoot-out makes me realize someone (*cough cough*) needs to photoshop your avatar on this:

7C18E495-BF94-433D-B2BE-AADC7E7166E6.jpeg

Because

For never watching this dumb shit from the start.

(You shouldn’t feel dirty about in-game penalty shots, those are real goals.)

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey

Don't know how you jump on Schmid for any of these goal really. 22 years old.

He gave the Devils more than a few chances to win. They just couldn't get one past Hill.
I mean...he wasn't the reason we lost but he was one of the reasons we didn't win.

Schmid - 2.66 xGA
Hill - 6.43 xGA

Schmid making one more big save was all it would have taken to win that game. Their goalie stopped goal number 3 about twenty times last night.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The best thing Vegas did was stymie our speed and system with adjustments for part of the 2nd period.

That’s my biggest concern, or the biggest unknown, going into the playoffs. What coaching adjustments a good team will make against us and vice versa.

We also looked like a well-oiled machine defensively (except when two forwards randomly gave the puck to opposing players) but then later got a little too loosey goosey.

I’m not concerned that it’s hard to score against excellent goaltending performances, that’s always true for all teams. (And we had 3 goals.)

Yeah, but even Vegas making those adjustments, the Devils were still incredibly dangerous for long periods in the third.

Camille the Eel

Some people aren’t capable of being rational about losses.

It’s often the same people who completely gave up on the team around January 1st.
I think - from observing myself - that it's the frustration of watching us try to score and falling short, of watching a loss in other words, it's sort of built into the viewing experience, the "the thrill of victory and agony of defeat" in the classic ABC wide world of sport lede in . . . so that the more impassioned I am in watching, when we lose then the more irrationally trashing the team . . .

But it's particularly inapt after a shootout loss. We didn't lose last night at all. Oh yeah they got the extra point. We should have ended it in OT. But the fans reaction - including me - to what happens in the extra time far exceeds anything rational as to what actually happened in the game. That goes as to winning as to losing. I am exceedingly positive after an OT win, even if we shat the bed for 59 minutes of regulation time.

Go figure. That's why I try to be tolerant of some of the nutsig stuff on this board after an OT or shootout loss even.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm still excited by the thought of adding Timo Meier to this lineup. An elite forward who shoots in bulk and is a physical puck hound, added to the top 6 of one of the best possession/Corsi teams in the league.

We seriously might never get outshot again this season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What a game the Devils played. Knights are a damn good team and they had absolutely no answer for our attack. Love the brand of hockey this team is playing right now.
Watching the Devils skate through these last two teams was sort of an awakening for me.

New Jersey might be the fastest team in the league. They are able to play at a pace that I'm not sure any other team in the league can.

Edit' This is March now....not some random November games...this is meaningful to be skating through Colorado and Vegas with relative ease. It's impressive.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Watching the Devils skate through these last two teams was sort of an awakening for me.

New Jersey might be the fastest team in the league. They are able to play at a pace that I'm not sure any other team in the league can.

We are fast and sneaky heavy too. They are generating a lot off of their forechecks. It’s not just rush chances.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Edit' This is March now....not some random November games...this is meaningful to be skating through Colorado and Vegas with relative ease. It's impressive.

this is hilarious (and very cheesy)...speed kills

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
When’s the last time we were all this happy after a loss of any kind? :laugh:

Feels excellent to *finally* see the true unavoidable “it was gonna happen anyway due to xyz” loss. I’m serious.

JIM’S ON THE WAGON THIS IS NOT A DRILL

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
All this discussion of the trash shoot-out makes me realize someone (*cough cough*) needs to photoshop your avatar on this:

View attachment 663024

Because

For never watching this dumb shit from the start.

(You shouldn’t feel dirty about in-game penalty shots, those are real goals.)

i did watch at the beginning ....cant forget kozlov.....but then realized after a bit that i felt nothing whether be it a 'win' or a 'loss'... i stopped caring after overtime and decided to avoid gary's gimmick forever

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, but even Vegas making those adjustments, the Devils were still incredibly dangerous for long periods in the third.

Yes, their adjustments didn’t exactly hold, though I’m not sure our messy play wasn’t a result.

Cassidy is a great coach so the second period adjustments weren’t a surprise either.

I guess I can rephrase it as I’m curious how we respond to coaching adjustments. The Avalanche have had some series really shift as teams adjusted to them.

People discuss playoff experience as an individual thing but team’s need playoff experience as a team.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I really only had an issue with the Eichel goal Schmid gave up, and even that wasn’t complete egregious. The first one was pure luck and I didn’t think he had much of a chance on the other one. He also stopped a penalty shot to keep us in it.

As someone mentioned during the game, that East-West pass is meant to open the 5-hole. It might not look great but it’s hard to move laterally and not open your legs.

It’s hard to ding a goalie on a 2-on-1 breakaway. Those are way worse than 1-on-zero breakaway, I actually expect goalies to stop those unless a player does something completely sick.

Nico line with an 89%+ xGF is disgusting. And John Marino is a stud.

That Nico line is pure sex obviously.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
As someone mentioned during the game, that East-West pass is meant to open the 5-hole. It might not look great but it’s hard to move laterally and not open your legs.

It’s hard to ding a goalie on a 2-on-1 breakaway. Those are way worse than 1-on-zero breakaway, I actually expect goalies to stop those unless a player does something completely sick.
Yeah it’s hard to complain about that, it was just frustrating with their guy playing like Hasek.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Tell us you didn't watch the game without telling us you didn't watch the game. They've been good the last few games, Sharangovich is going to be the one who is coming out.
Watched the whole game and the comment was that taking sharangovich out would derail the PK and the solution to that would be inserting lazar into the fourth line as non of them play the PK if we are worried about the pK. Sometimes reading comprehension is key

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I mean...he wasn't the reason we lost but he was one of the reasons we didn't win.

Schmid - 2.66 xGA
Hill - 6.43 xGA

Schmid making one more big save was all it would have taken to win that game. Their goalie stopped goal number 3 about twenty times last night.
Moneypuck had Schmid at 2.92 xGA. He wasn't the reason we lost. The Eichel goal he had a shot but on a two on one I can see why he planted his right foot. Other than that down one goal he saved a penalty shot and in the shootout stopped the first 3 shooters.

The only reason NJ lost was Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad