Where is McDavid?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Why on earth would the league send their most marketable player to Europe to play one game in a span of two weeks? The Leafs have already played 4 games with their 5th tonight. Not to mention this said game was against the Devils. Not to take anything away from the Devils but dont most leagues kick off their seasons with rivalries and other big matchups? I'm not a Oilers fan, but im definitely a fan of McDavid and to me if you're the smallest fry of the big fries (MLB, NBA, NFL NHL) you need to market your big name players especially during the gap between NHL and NBA kickoffs.

Someone in the marketing/PR department deserves to be fired.

Can you ever imagine a world where this happens in the NBA with Lebron James?

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
He plays tonight and the Oilers play 82 games, the same as everyone else.

This post is stupid on every level.
I think the point is that if someone is just getting into hockey and they want to watch the best and most exciting player, they'll be disheartened with a 5 day break right at the start of the season when a lot of other teams already have 4 or 5 games played

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I think the point is that if someone is just getting into hockey and they want to watch the best and most exciting player, they'll be disheartened with a 5 day break right at the start of the season when a lot of other teams already have 4 or 5 games played
You don't have to worry Matthews has filled in well in McDavid's absence.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why on earth would the league send their most marketable player to Europe to play one game in a span of two weeks?

Can you ever imagine a world where this happens in the NBA with Lebron James?

I don't really think this is true, playing in Edmonton sees to that.

Matthews, Crosby, Ovechkin are way more marketable and are marketed more by the NHL.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville

How many new fans do you think this has lost?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

People just getting into hockey probably don't understand the schedule and might not notice.

It's odd scheduling, but it's not like he's getting less exposure by playing less games over a season. It's just a different distribution.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Be careful what you wish for. He looks faster and ever more dangerous. Once the team gets going with games, look out for CM97.

Personally I think it's dumb that they made the Oilers play in Europe against the Devils of all teams mixed in with a 5-day break? Come on. I can understand why McDavid may be annoyed by this.

Reactions: Mez

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
McDavid and the Oilers will get their 82 games in like every other team, so no biggie.

But really...the Oilers and Devils in Sweden to start the season is completely random and makes little to no sense.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
When the season is over he’ll be leading in the points by a landslide. He got even better this offseason.

No one is on his level.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
5 whole days what are we going to do now. I mean ... it's over for McDavid. RIP anyone ever getting to see this person play.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Edmonton, Florida, NJ, and Tampa have barely played. In some ways the season really gets going tonight.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
My brain hurts.

He was in Europe promoting the game.

...to market the game

...In Europe!

Pretty sure Europe is already well aware of the NHL. :dunno:

I don't get it from a scheduling standpoint. If you're going to send two teams to Europe to start the season, in an effort to "promote" or "market" a game they already know exists....why not make it a three-game set? Then again, I guess it's bad enough they're already depriving the STH's of a game....hopefully the teams gave them a discount on their yearly fee.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He plays tonight and the Oilers play 82 games, the same as everyone else.

This post is stupid on every level.
Well the schedule has been unusual. There is no reason that some team have played 3 more games than other other teams this early in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad