Where is McDavid?

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
Why on earth would the league send their most marketable player to Europe to play one game in a span of two weeks? The Leafs have already played 4 games with their 5th tonight. Not to mention this said game was against the Devils. Not to take anything away from the Devils but dont most leagues kick off their seasons with rivalries and other big matchups? I'm not a Oilers fan, but im definitely a fan of McDavid and to me if you're the smallest fry of the big fries (MLB, NBA, NFL NHL) you need to market your big name players especially during the gap between NHL and NBA kickoffs.

Someone in the marketing/PR department deserves to be fired.

Can you ever imagine a world where this happens in the NBA with Lebron James?

Lebanon James takes over europe! Book the flight!

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
When the season is over he’ll be leading in the points by a landslide. He got even better this offseason.

No one is on his level.
Too bad that still doesn't change anything for the Oilers.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
it was a strategic plan by the NHL to not have mcdavid running away with the scoring race they let 2nd tier players like matthews and marchand and tavares and seguin get a 4-5 game head start. he will pass them all by mid nov and everything will go back to normal.

Reactions: Ojoisten sonni

KyleSeaBass

Oct 5, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
it was a strategic plan by the NHL to not have mcdavid running away with the scoring race they let 2nd tier players like matthews and marchand and tavares and seguin get a 4-5 game head start. he will pass them all by mid nov and everything will go back to normal.

Everything will be normal alright.

The Oilers will be back at the basement of the NHL standings by mid November as usual and McDavid will be counting down the days till he can leave that dumpster fire of an organization he never wanted to play for in the first place.

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

Exactly. You can't quietly roar back if you're the one with the initial roar.

Reactions: CornKicker

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
In my backyard mowing the lawn. Good kid.

In all seriousness this is no big deal. Oilers will still play 82 games same as every other team. Better for him to have time off in October than in February.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
"Why on earth would the league send their most marketable player to Europe to play..."

...to grow the game in Europe Sherlock

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
North America is also.

Play in Peru next fall then?

Look, it's one thing to play a preseason series in China, where the league is looking to grow its' fanbase - especially leading up to the next Olympics.

It's another thing entirely for two teams to play ONE GAME in a European country that is already in love with hockey and responsible for the third largest percentage of active NHLers behind only Canada and USA.

I just don't see the point of it, that's all.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You can't market McDavid because his personality is so sparkling people get blinded by it and thus they can't see who it is they're supposed to enjoy.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Why on earth would the league send their most marketable player to Europe to play one game in a span of two weeks? The Leafs have already played 4 games with their 5th tonight. Not to mention this said game was against the Devils. Not to take anything away from the Devils but dont most leagues kick off their seasons with rivalries and other big matchups? I'm not a Oilers fan, but im definitely a fan of McDavid and to me if you're the smallest fry of the big fries (MLB, NBA, NFL NHL) you need to market your big name players especially during the gap between NHL and NBA kickoffs.

Someone in the marketing/PR department deserves to be fired.

Can you ever imagine a world where this happens in the NBA with Lebron James?

He plays for the oilers anyways. Talk about small potatoes. If he played for LA or NY I can maybe see your point.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Clearly the NHL needs to make Edmonton trade McDavid to the states. Then McDavid will be marketed more. There, problem solved.

:sarcasm:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He plays for the oilers anyways. Talk about small potatoes. If he played for LA or NY I can maybe see your point.

Have you ever seen McDavid play? Who the f*** cares where he plays? Lebron James has spent the majority of his career in Ohio, yet the NBA has never failed to market him, and it has certainly worked out well for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->