Where does this season rank in Ovechkin’s career?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
All things considered he gained a lot of my respect this year as far as his character as a player. I respected him before, but after all the talk about how bad the Caps were going to be and how he would either leave for Russia, be traded, or just stay but start to give up and decline, he got into great shape and has had a great year. I just really respect his loyalty to his team and that "won't quit" attitude from him. So this season in particular will stand out to me and rank pretty high as far as how I will remember him.
Gotta give the guy credit, in his entire career here he has never expressed frustration with the franchise (outside of maybe disliking certain coaches) or his teammates. He has gained this unfair reputation as being a choker even though his playoff stats show he's anything but one, and when most people would snap and point out how their supporting cast let them down he doesn't. It seems like Ovechkin's team failures only make him realize he has to get even better, he doesn't look at it as being a team deficiency but rather a situation where he has to pick up even more slack.

I think his general loyalty and demeanor has left a lot of Caps fans hoping he gets a Cup even if it has to be elsewhere. He has done so much for our franchise, if he has to leave to win a Cup else where I get it.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Considering he only won the Richard because of Laine injury I doubt he himself as a competitor will value this season very high.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
If I'm O, I see any season going forward as a failure minus a Cup. Not fair, but think that's probably where he is.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
It doesn't matter what his personal accomplishments are anymore, the guy knows how to score goals we all know that and if the Stanly Cup is presented to the team who scored the most goals Washington would have won all the time. However, obviously, that isn't the case.

I guess these types of threads feel great for Ovi fans but the reality is hockey is a team game and either Ovi or MacLellan has let this team down.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Considering he only won the Richard because of Laine injury I doubt he himself as a competitor will value this season very high.
Uhhhhhhhh... what?

This is a pretty meaty assumption to make. Laine only just got hurt, you're assuming he would keep on the same pace he was on, you're also assuming that Ovechkin does next to nothing in the next few games. If Ovechkin gets to 50 this season I think it stands to reason he still might have won the race even with a healthy Laine, to state that Laine would have won as fact when he at no point lead the race is hilarious.

I hate this HF Boards "if ____________ never got hurt he would have ____________", it makes an assumption that players sustain play and other players regress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad