Where does the Canucks' current situation rank in the time you've been following the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
For one..they are not predictions , they are odds....Do you understand the the difference..?..When you are tied for 5th place in odds to win the SC..Does that make the 94 Canucks a "Cinderella team"... yes or no..?

"In sports, the terms Cinderella, "Cinderella story", and Cinderella team are used to refer to situations in which competitors achieve far greater success than would reasonably have been best expected."..wiki.

Yes, I understand the difference between betting odds and predictions.

But seeing as you are clearly attempting to slither away from the question I asked, I'll restate it in a way that hopefully meets your criteria:

Since when do preseason betting odds matter more than actual results?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

But seeing as you are clearly attempting to slither away from the question I asked, I'll restate it in a way that hopefully meets your criteria:

Who made the claim that they do..?

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Nothing compares to the Keenan/Messier years. This is just severely disappointing because the have the Black Hawks model, and the core to execute it, but Jim and Travis are old school, and can't adjust to utilizing their youth to it's max potential.

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
I'd say you're wrong on all 3 counts there.

okay when do you think the team was failing on all 3 counts worse than currently?

The current ownership group has countless proven and unproven allegations in various industries. They are known for micromanaging and shady practices in their other ventures, why would it stop at a pro sports team?

Outside of a pandemic pushed play off run, what have they accomplished? They were trying to retool, failed, tried to label it as a rebuild and now that’s failing as well due to the prior incompetence. How long can one fail without accountability? What other GM has gotten this long of a rope with no results?

Where is the team leaders in the community? We’ve had a global pandemic and these leaders of the community are no where to be seen. Linden, Naslund and the Sedins were just the Captains, but that’s over 2 decades of community leaders that no one on this team can hold a candle to. The icing on the cake? How the whole organization up to the owner has been hiding while this Covid breakout has played out.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel with this combination of management and ownership. Something needs to change.

Reactions: YeahHeDid

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
okay when do you think the team was failing on all 3 counts worse than currently?

The current ownership group has countless proven and unproven allegations in various industries. They are known for micromanaging and shady practices in their other ventures, why would it stop at a pro sports team?

Outside of a pandemic pushed play off run, what have they accomplished? They were trying to retool, failed, tried to label it as a rebuild and now that’s failing as well due to the prior incompetence. How long can one fail without accountability? What other GM has gotten this long of a rope with no results?

Where is the team leaders in the community? We’ve had a global pandemic and these leaders of the community are no where to be seen. Linden, Naslund and the Sedins were just the Captains, but that’s over 2 decades of community leaders that no one on this team can hold a candle to. The icing on the cake? How the whole organization up to the owner has been hiding while this Covid breakout has played out.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel with this combination of management and ownership. Something needs to change.
I think if you looked at a lot of ownerships , you would dig up all sorts of shady business dealings..I found what John McCaw (Orca Bay) did was far more harmful that what what the Aqualini's have done...The whole firing of Quinn and Burke was atrocious..along with their hiring of Mike Keenan.

I think its fair to partially blame them for the retool on the fly...but there was a butcher's bill to be paid after the Sedin/WCE era..and what followed was 4 years of being a bottom feeder...

If Benning was fired there would be a justifiable reason.

Everybody has been been hiding indoors since the pandemic...Common sense would tell you its the wisest thing to do..stay home.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
By saying preseason odds mattered more than results my god please help me . Excellent trolling job, A+
Where did I say that?

you said this..."they were the definition of Cinderella team. Underdogs in every series they played."..dab

I demonstrated that both those claims were false.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianRacket

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Haven't followed the team for a few months now, and see no real reason to come back any time soon. I was at the "Fire Gillis" game, and it was pretty brutal. But this is worse by far. the 80's were pretty dismal of course, and the Keenan/Messier years as well, but this feels like it's going to result in massively wasted potential.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Haven't followed the team for a few months now, and see no real reason to come back any time soon. I was at the "Fire Gillis" game, and it was pretty brutal. But this is worse by far. the 80's were pretty dismal of course, and the Keenan/Messier years as well, but this feels like it's going to result in massively wasted potential.
Not sure I can say anything about what I actually think of those chanters without facing board penalties but I hate their opinion and their voice is a big reason this franchise is a clown show today.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
yeah we all know the favourite starts the series on the road. the NHL also makes the favoured team play game 7s on the road so it's more fair
No I mean they were just the 7 seed, who never having played the 8 seed, played the overall top seed in the final. Any idiot can see they were the favourite.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Not sure I can say anything about what I actually think of those chanters without facing board penalties but I hate their opinion and their voice is a big reason this franchise is a clown show today.
Paid actors

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This is the most depressed I've ever gotten about a sports team.

I used to be a fan of China men's soccer from 90's back in China til about 2008.

But this is way worse...
:facepalm:

Reactions: lindgren

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Our owner giving in to some childish sentiment at a game causing him to fire the best GM we’ve ever had just shows the type of character FA really is. After we have a great run of success, the team struggles one season, so the owner fires the GM. Imo our owner didn’t agree with Gillis wanting to rebuild the core, and used the fan calls at the game as a license to do the dirty deed. Now our owner publicly supports Benning, even after seven years of one disaster after another? It’s the worst time ever for us.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Try being
This is the most depressed I've ever gotten about a sports team.

I used to be a fan of China men's soccer from 90's back in China til about 2008.

But this is way worse...
:facepalm:
Try being a fan of Canada’s mens’ soccer team. :eek:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Canucks were 7th and were big time underdogs against not only the flames but were dogs in the Leafs, Stars and Rangers series. No one expected them to beat the flames. To quote Tom Larscheid when Pavel Bure scored in 2OT to beat the flames in game 7 “this is the greatest moment in vancouver Canucks history”. Those were innocent times indeed. Not comparable to the debacle of today.

What? No, absolutely not.

The team had blown their load in the regular season before losing to underdogs far behind them in the standings the previous two years and didn't treat the regular season with the same intensity as prior years.

Also they had the Nedved holdout situation holding over them as a distraction all year, and were also down an impact player as a result.

That Calgary series was considered an equal matchup at the time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Canucks were 7th and were big time underdogs against not only the flames but were dogs in the Leafs, Stars and Rangers series. No one expected them to beat the flames. To quote Tom Larscheid when Pavel Bure scored in 2OT to beat the flames in game 7 “this is the greatest moment in vancouver Canucks history”. Those were innocent times indeed. Not comparable to the debacle of today.

What? No, absolutely not.

The team had blown their load in the regular season before losing to underdogs far behind them in the standings the previous two years and didn't treat the regular season with the same intensity as prior years.

Also they had the Nedved holdout situation holding over them as a distraction all year, and were also down an impact player as a result.

That Calgary series was considered an equal matchup at the time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I followed every second of that season about as closely as anyone could possibly follow it.

We were considered an elite team heading into that season and a Cup favourite. We had some distractions and underachieved and finished just above .500 (keep in mind that with the OTL points this is about equivalent to a 95 point team today). We then loaded up at the deadline when we resolved the Nedved situation and excelled in the playoffs.

That run was not considered particularly 'surprising' at all nor was it considered anything 'Cindarella' like in the way that the 1991 North Stars or 1982 Canucks were. It was considered to be a good run from a top team that had had a down regular season.

Reactions: canucksfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad