Where does the Canucks' current situation rank in the time you've been following the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Canucks are what you call an NHL farm team.

Vets come here to get term, paycheck, guaranteed ice-time and valuable "mentorship" experience.

Prospects get drafted. Prospects have a great 1st year. Prospects get disillusioned in the 2nd year. Prospects get traded for peanuts. Trading ribeye for hamburger is a consistent theme for the Canucks. Draft picks, Forsling, McCann, Madden and now Gaudette.

The team ends up being absolute shit at actually competing in the game of hockey because none of the vets actually want to compete in a serious hit-the-weight-room-and-out-endurance-your-opponent type of way.

Tyler Toffoli is a very competitive hockey player and we let him walk in-favor of Jake Virtanen.

The Canucks are a farm team. Ryan Miller's 3x6m deal was just the start of it.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This board has the most temperamental, whiny fans in the league.

Been a fan since 94 and know a lot about our team's prior history.

Is it frustrating that we are wasting a lot of money on bottom of the line-up fodder? Yes.

But we literally have the most promising core this franchise has ever had at a single point.

There are definitely valid things to criticize, and we should be in a better spot given our young talent.

But this, "This is the worst it has ever been". Did you become a fan in 2011 and check out until right now?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Is it frustrating that we are wasting a lot of money on bottom of the line-up fodder? Yes.

But we literally have the most promising core this franchise has ever had at a single point.

There are definitely valid things to criticize, and we should be in a better spot given our young talent.

But this, "This is the worst it has ever been". Did you become a fan in 2011 and check out until right now?
Who is the core?

Players u23 for next season:

Hughes, Pettersson, Hoglander and Podkolzin

Hardly the most promising u23 group in franchise history.

Bo and Thatcher will be 26. Brock 24. Miller 28. Pearson 29. Schmidt 30. Myers 31.

This isn’t a young core nor is anywhere close to the strongest in team history.

It makes me laugh the amount of celebration this “core” has. They’re not a good team.

Take a look at 00/01 again. That’s a young core.

It shouldn’t be hard to see that people think this era is the worst because they don’t have any hope in the guys making the decisions? They’re one of the worst teams in the league with one if they worst records over 7 seasons. Terrible 5 on 5 metrics. It’s the same guy, thinking the same way, doing the same things as he’s done throughout. The team doesn’t look like it’ll ever turn the corner. That’s why. In 2014 you had hope a new guy could get it done. By 2017 you had hope ownership would wise up and punt the GM. In 2021 you’re shockingly rebooting and the owner seems content with the awful GM. This is why people are checking out. Expecting different results from the same thing is insanity.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Not the worst to me but my least interest due to less games, less excitement and feels like less stakes. So many issues right now outside of hockey and the hockey is sporadic and not very good.

Reactions: timw33 and Bubbles

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In terms of 'on ice' personnel, there's been far worse editions of the Canucks than this current one. The mid-80's and mid 90's certainly come to mind. And some of those early Benning-Linden-Desjardins teams a few years back were truly awful.

But for sheer perversity, there's never been a season to match this one. The fact that 90 percent of the team went down with COVID is just the piece de resistance in a truly forgettable year.

In the terms of the playoffs, the Canucks were basically out of it after the first month and a half of the season. They've been coached all year by a lame duck coaching staff, that with every game looks like it won't be back. Nor should it be.

But by far the biggest black hole with this current team is that fact that much of the market has lost complete faith in the GM. The Canucks have had some shaky hockey ops departments in the past....but nothing to match this group. I guess seven years of on-ice mediocrity; and a string of truly debilitating trades and UFA signings, has inevitably sapped the will and energy of the fan base.

So if you take it in its totality, yes this year would have to go down as one of the worst in Canuck history.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

We have one NHL defenseman under the age of 30.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I can't speak for absolute certainty

but it would be hard to imagine our pro scouting being any worse in history than it is right now.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I legitimately believe and know hiring some media folk like Drance to run the team would net infinitely better results than what we've seen in the past 7 years. That's the point i'm at now

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Who is the core?

Players u23 for next season:

Hughes, Pettersson, Hoglander and Podkolzin

Hardly the most promising u23 group in franchise history.

Bo and Thatcher will be 26. Brock 24. Miller 28. Pearson 29. Schmidt 30. Myers 31.

This isn’t a young core nor is anywhere close to the strongest in team history.

It makes me laugh the amount of celebration this “core” has. They’re not a good team.

Take a look at 00/01 again. That’s a young core.

It shouldn’t be hard to see that people think this era is the worst because they don’t have any hope in the guys making the decisions? They’re one of the worst teams in the league with one if they worst records over 7 seasons. Terrible 5 on 5 metrics. It’s the same guy, thinking the same way, doing the same things as he’s done throughout. The team doesn’t look like it’ll ever turn the corner. That’s why. In 2014 you had hope a new guy could get it done. By 2017 you had hope ownership would wise up and punt the GM. In 2021 you’re shockingly rebooting and the owner seems content with the awful GM. This is why people are checking out. Expecting different results from the same thing is insanity.
Yeah basically this for me. If this season happened the way it has but it was just a down year then whatever. It’s just the disappointing season after disappointing season when it’s always “next year will be the year the Canucks get better.” The fact that nobody making the decisions has been held accountable just leads to the hope for the future being sapped away. It’s the pattern of bad decisions (including the whole Covid outbreak situation) that just makes this moment in the Canucks’ history seem depressing. They’re constantly treading water in mediocrity (at best) with no real sign of changing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The best young core thing isn’t even defendable yet its constantly regurgitated.

It’s not a great core and it’s not especially young.

“Literally” lol.

It's crazy.

Horvat/Demko are closer to 30 than 20 and Boeser is 24. It's basically 2 players (Pettersson and Hughes) who have kind of flatlined since breaking into the NHL with major impact. None of these project as the sort of guys who will be top-10 players in the league.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's crazy.

Horvat/Demko are closer to 30 than 20 and Boeser is 24. It's basically 2 players (Pettersson and Hughes) who have kind of flatlined since breaking into the NHL with major impact. None of these project as the sort of guys who will be top-10 players in the league.
But The flames need to rebuild because Gaudreau 27 (same draft as Miller) and a Monahan 25 and Lindholm 25 are too old (same draft as Horvat).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's crazy.

Generally speaking, most #1 goalies are 24 and older.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
When you consider the length of incompetence it’s the worst in franchise history.

Keenan was a 6-month blip that you knew would be over soon. It was like blowing out your knee and being on crutches for a while. This is like helplessly watching a family member go through a decade-long freefall through drug addiction into homelessness. It’s hopeless.
I got this post read on 650 today during “don’t @ me” :laugh:

I cited it from hfboards user ms but they called it unsigned

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
All this because of Pearson? My God get a grip. Beagle is finished so that's a wash, team has one of the best young cores with still some high-end kids coming and 50 million in cap coming off the books the next 2 seasons.
Been a season ticket holder since the early 90s and this is easily the best young core we've had. Covid and the flat cap threw a wrench in things a bit but just look at the rest of Canada, what team has a better five year window? Threads like these are why everyone hates this fanbase, unloyal and full of fair-weather fans who in a year or 2 when this team is a top team will be like doy I've always been a fan and to prove it ill riot if we lose.
Look at the Alberta teams or the Leafs, the Oilers have wasted 2 of the best players and their outlook longterm isn't great, the Flames are looking like another rebuild is near, the Leafs are a good team that is actually capped out and might be peaking right now. Vancouver is set up much better long-term, with young players at every keystone position. AM prolly bolts in 3 years and JT will be a complete anchor sooner than later, get a grip or do real nuck fans a favour and cheer for the team that is trending right now. Pathetic.

I'm coming in peace and I won't reply to any messages or start any fights. I just wanted point one mistake our fanbase made that may apply here, or not, no franchise is destined to make the same mistakes obviously:

I want to reference the bold in relation to the Oilers (again not to start fights). To the first point - we thought the same during our dark years, we drafted Hall, Ebs (coming off his monster WJC), Schultz was a considered a good add as a young PMD, drafted MPS, RNH, then Yak... We thought we had superstars coming out of our noses and success was sure to follow. Suffice it to say we remained in the basement long enough to steal McDavid and Draisaitl. More boneheaded moves saw Hall gone for a poor return, Ebs gone for a poor return, signing Lucic (considered good until he shat himself), Russell anchor, Schultz and Marino gone for peanuts to the Pens, etc. The list just goes on.

Now as you say and it's pretty inarguable - we wasted how many years of McDrai? Our hope is also that we have 25m available next year (like the Canucks), but I'm at least 50% worried we will blow it in this UFA window and waste more years of McDrai. I'm totally willing to give Holland a chance because Chia was so bad, but you just never know.

Take it from this Oiler fan who's seen multiple really promising young cores spin their tires...hope is one thing, faith is another. Anyways, hope that either Benning or the next GM can figure it out cause you do have a great young core. Someone just needs to get the cup back to Canada FFS.

Hope your team gets healthy too! Take care and be safe everyone.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
It's crazy.

The problem is that a large portion of the fan base believe Pettersson is on or near the same level as McDavid. Before this season started there were so many people who were LOVING Friedman talking about how Pettersson is in the conversation with McDavid.

Then the team played games. Pettersson was not, in fact, on McDavids level... in fact he wasn't even on the next level below McDavid.

Same thing with Hughes. Makar has had a significantly better 2nd season and our fanbase just cannot handle the truth that these are great young players but they are not in the top 10 of their respective peers yet.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The problem is that a large portion of the fan base believe Pettersson is on or near the same level as McDavid. Before this season started there were so many people who were LOVING Friedman talking about how Pettersson is in the conversation with McDavid.

Then the team played games. Pettersson was not, in fact, on McDavids level... in fact he wasn't even on the next level below McDavid.

Same thing with Hughes. Makar has had a significantly better 2nd season and our fanbase just cannot handle the truth that these are great young players but they are not in the top 10 of their respective peers yet.

I have to see Rathbone play against better competition than the watered down AHL he is participating in now. If his puck movement, offensive zone work, shot, back skating, gap control, and defensive game continues against the higher level players he could surpass Hughes and become the Canucks #1 D-man simply because he appears to be a developing very good defenseman. Hughes has revealed that his defensive prowess is limited and he can't function defensively without cover from a very good defensive partner.

As I said, it has to be proven he can carry this tool box to the NHL. If he can, he'll be the #1. I pray they don't rush this kid, overplay him, allow bad habits to develop because he hasn't quite got certain aspects of his game honed, and burn him out as it look like they are doing with Quinn. While I marvel at Bone's play, I also see him make the kind of mistakes that have to be worked out of his system. His desire to succeed needs to be tempered so he can slow things down as well as speed things up, the Lidstrom school of defense. This kid has some real serious promise.

Reactions: m9

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

no hughes is generational.

Reactions: The Colonel

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Totally.

Pettersson is an excellent young player but he's in the 2nd or even 3rd tier of good young forwards in the NHL next to guys like Aho/Barzal. But fans have acted like we have a McDavid here and he simply isn't. And isn't even close. And this goes even moreso for Hughes who fans were trying to hype as an elite #1 defender when he hasn't even proven he can tread water at ES in 2nd pairing minutes.

We have a pretty nice group of 3-4 young players but it isn't anything absurdly special when you look around the NHL.

Reactions: m9 and TraderJim

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It’s pretty obvious that Aho and Barzal is an accurate tier to compare EP to but I’m biased so he’s the best.

Hughes... I am incredibly worried about.

Reactions: TraderJim

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
it's fair to temper our expectation about the young core because there is no one who is on the bona fide mackinnon or draisaitl level.

but i think it's also important to note that the optimism here isn't just that we have three really really good young players in pettersson, hughes, and demko, with boeser and horvat also great pieces. it's also that we have never ever had a distribution of young stars like this. we have a star number one center, a star puck moving defenceman, and a potential star goalie.

what a colossally wasted opportunity this would be if it all goes to crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad