Where does Ottawa finish in the Atlantic?

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
1) Boston
2) Ottawa
3) Toronto
4) Montreal/Detroit
5) Detroit/Montreal

Yes, I can see Detroit missing the playoffs. If Montreal doesn't regress (which I expect them to, however slight that regression may be), I think Detroit's the odd man out.

The Flortheast "New" Atlantic division is the toughest in the NHL, IMO. Whoever finishes 5th is going to be good enough to have made the playoffs in any other division, but will get shafted because they play in the NHL's version of the AL East.

Can the 5th place still make the playoffs as a wild card? Replacing the 4th from the other division (team with most points?)

Edit: I answered my own question. So the 5th place doesn't necessarily get shafted. Last year we would have gotten the 5th seed and still made the playoffs.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/the-explainer-new-nhl-playoff-seeding-format-1.1871216

Last edited:

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I have Ottawa finishing second behind the Bruins.

I think Tampa Bay will surprise.

I believe age is finally going to catch up with the Red Wings. For the record, I believe that every year.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
With Thomas signed in Florida, there's a whole heap of games we are now going to lose.

I wouldn't really say that. This team is way different then 2 years ago. Plus thomas was playing behind the bruins defense. Hate to say it, but the panthers absolutely do not have the same defense that the bruins have. In addition, thomas might not even be the same type of player he once was. He will probably be good, but not as good as he was before. I wouldn't worry about thomas too be honest.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
On paper, Detroit and Boston look strong...but one is a group of geriatrics who in reality won't do much in a full season, and the other lost a heartbreaker in the Cup finals (and teams who do that rarely do anything notable the following season).

Toronto and Montreal operated with smoke and mirrors last year. The shortened season make them look like the hot chick at the bar while wearing thick bear goggles...this season is the ugly morning after.

Buffalo, Florida and Tampa are all in flux. They won't contend for the playoffs but will catch teams off guard and steal some points.

Looking at Ottawa's top end talent in Anderson, Karlsson, Spezza and Ryan, you'd think, on paper, we should be at least in the top 3. Add in the incredible performance of the kids when it was code red last season, and there's reason to think we're in for a big jump in the standings.

But.....that nagging little voice in the back of my head keeps chiming in saying this might also be a nasty step back. Not sure why, but something feels a bit off (and no, it ain't #11). I have a funny feeling something completely out of left field is going to screw us over.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
On paper, Detroit and Boston look strong...but one is a group of geriatrics who in reality won't do much in a full season, and the other lost a heartbreaker in the Cup finals (and teams who do that rarely do anything notable the following season).

Toronto and Montreal operated with smoke and mirrors last year. The shortened season make them look like the hot chick at the bar while wearing thick bear goggles...this season is the ugly morning after.

Buffalo, Florida and Tampa are all in flux. They won't contend for the playoffs but will catch teams off guard and steal some points.

Looking at Ottawa's top end talent in Anderson, Karlsson, Spezza and Ryan, you'd think, on paper, we should be at least in the top 3. Add in the incredible performance of the kids when it was code red last season, and there's reason to think we're in for a big jump in the standings.

But.....that nagging little voice in the back of my head keeps chiming in saying this might also be a nasty step back. Not sure why, but something feels a bit off (and no, it ain't #11). I have a funny feeling something completely out of left field is going to screw us over.

As we found out last year, injuries wont really take us out of the playoff picture. The only thing that could slap us on the face and knock us out of the playoff picture is if our goaltending returns to being average. As good as the callups from Bingo were last season, we only made the playoffs because we had three goalies putting up unsustainable numbers. If Andy does not have a Vezina type season, and if Lehner stumbles a bit, then yeah we could find ourselves taking a step back this year.

Let's all hope that does not happen.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
If boston has a hangover from the cup finals, they have a real shot at 1st. Other than that I expect them to finish second, the leafs will most likely take that 3rd spot.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I have Ottawa finishing second behind the Bruins.

I think Tampa Bay will surprise.

I believe age is finally going to catch up with the Red Wings. For the record, I believe that every year.

The Bolts will be running a good offense this year, but their defense is still a little dicey IMO. I think a lot of their success will depend on how the Bishop/Lindback tandem do.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Honestly, other than Florida and Buffalo I can see teams being anywhere.

Tampa is being underrated (while their D isn't great, they have offensive power to do well).
Montreal I think is a bit overrated IMO, but still they could ride Price and do alright.
Toronto could beat out their wins.
Ottawa is up there too, good goaltending, good offense, great puck possession.
Boston is likely the best. Good goaltending, tough, and a team with experience.
Detroit has the experience, they play a great team game and have experience. But are they too old?

I just have no clue. IMO. It would go:
Boston
Detroit
Ottawa/Toronto
Toronto/Ottawa

Ottawa will be the third team or a wild card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad