Where does Ottawa finish in the Atlantic?

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
I think it will be
1. Boston
2. Ottawa
3. Detroit
4. Montreal/Toronto
5. Montreal/Toronto

I have a feeling Montreal will finish 4th simply because they have more scoring and a better Defense than Toronto.

I almost wanted to put Tampa ahead of the Leafs, but I'm not sure if it's cause I dislike them, or I really am seeing all the holes I think they have.

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
I'm picturing them at second. Boston is the top dog, and I'm not seeing anything done this offseason that will take them off that pedestal, and Detroit to me seems quite streaky in their play so far. Montreal really feels like last year was fluky, and Toronto is Kessel, Phenuf, Reimer/the new guy and a lot of 3rd liners so they're of little threat to eclipse the Sens.

EDIT: Or what Charliebox said.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
I really think over a long season, Montreal and Toronto's 4th line and 3rd D pairings are going to hurt them.

I know, it sounds silly that a 4th line will hurt you, but if the coach can't trust them, then that means extra ice time for everyone else.

Orr and McLaren are just brutal as are White and Parros. These guys are going to get feasted on by other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

Ottawa, Boston and Detroit can all roll 4 lines pretty easily.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Somewhere in the playoffs. The coaching staff and goaltending will get them there.

The Sens position will depend on the health of the star players.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
I'm fairly confident that during at least a somewhat injury free season we can be ahead of every team in the division, except for maybe Boston.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
1) Boston
2) Ottawa
3) Toronto
4) Montreal/Detroit
5) Detroit/Montreal

Yes, I can see Detroit missing the playoffs. If Montreal doesn't regress (which I expect them to, however slight that regression may be), I think Detroit's the odd man out.

The Flortheast "New" Atlantic division is the toughest in the NHL, IMO. Whoever finishes 5th is going to be good enough to have made the playoffs in any other division, but will get shafted because they play in the NHL's version of the AL East.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
1) Boston
2) Ottawa
3) Toronto
4) Montreal/Detroit
5) Detroit/Montreal

Yes, I can see Detroit missing the playoffs. If Montreal doesn't regress (which I expect them to, however slight that regression may be), I think Detroit's the odd man out.

The Flortheast "New" Atlantic division is the toughest in the NHL, IMO. Whoever finishes 5th is going to be good enough to have made the playoffs in any other division, but will get shafted because they play in the NHL's version of the AL East.

Last. And the ducks will get the second overall pick while winning the cup. They will chant "thank you ryan!" every time we play the ducks.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Ottawa can stay healthy they could be challenging Boston for the top spot, if they can't stay healthy or their best players need a lot of games off to heal, they may find themselves fighting for a playoff spot. Ottawa has a lot of good depth, if they don't lose some to waivers. They need to make a deal to bring in one more top 6 forward to assure secondary scoring & their young defence has to play big.

1. Boston - big, tough, skilled, best faceoff guy in the league, Chara, Iginla & Lucic
2. Ottawa - depends on the health of their key players & the youngsters stepping up
3. Toronto - they will try & beat the crap out of everyone on their way to the Cup
4. Detroit - very good veteran leadership but may be getting long in the tooth
5. Tampa Bay - they are an improving team with a lot of good young players
6. Montreal - still too small, still too soft & will still get pushed around by teams
7. Buffalo - a team in transition, likely to trade one of Vanek or Miller or both
8. Florida - lots of good young players but few are NHL ready

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Typically you won't be able to answer this question until the end of the season. As for "analysis" - there are way too many factors to even come close to an accurate conclusion.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If Ottawa can stay healthy they could be challenging Boston for the top spot, if they can't stay healthy or their best players need a lot of games off to heal, they may find themselves fighting for a playoff spot. Ottawa has a lot of good depth, if they don't lose some to waivers. They need to make a deal to bring in one more top 6 forward to assure secondary scoring & their young defence has to play big.

1. Boston - big, tough, skilled, best faceoff guy in the league, Chara, Iginla & Lucic
2. Ottawa - depends on the health of their key players & the youngsters stepping up
3. Toronto - they will try & beat the crap out of everyone on their way to the Cup
4. Detroit - very good veteran leadership but may be getting long in the tooth
5. Tampa Bay - they are an improving team with a lot of good young players
6. Montreal - still too small, still too soft & will still get pushed around by teams
7. Buffalo - a team in transition, likely to trade one of Vanek or Miller or both
8. Florida - lots of good young players but few are NHL ready

I think Tampa does better than Montreal too. If they get average-good goal tending from Bishop they will surprise. They pick up a Dman at the deadline and I think they take the 4th spot over Toronto/Montreal.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
We'll be neck and neck with Boston all year but we should take it, hopefully Detroit grabs the last wild card spot and sets up an epic Wings-Sens first round matchup.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
1st in Atlantic.

Premier 1st line.
Good secondary scoring.
One of the best players in the league who will yet again contend for Norris.
Goaltending.
Depth in all positions.
Young, but not necessarily inexperienced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->