Where does Montreal finish in the Atlantic?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As someone posted earlier, Montreal's defense is an area of particular concern. My trust in Diaz is quite low at this point and I don't think Markov can carry him at this point in his career. The habs need to hold the ship until emelin is back, so Diaz can slip into the 3rd Pair.

I am excited about the PP though. I feel this group can do a lot of damage as long as Markov and subban are running the show. Briere theoretically should add to the PP threat. You can use him him down low near the side of the net, or right along the half boards.

biggest problem with this pair is, with his injury history you don't want Markov to play too physical, but since Diaz can't do anything in that department, there will be a huge risk for the General to get injured every game we'll face a team who's strong on the forecheck. It's not like teams will worry about Diaz much when both will be on the ice.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
You're basically using the two main reasons the Habs faltered (late-season struggles and serious injuries) as advantages for Boston and Ottawa, but as disadvantages for the Habs. How does that make sense?
For one thing, Emelin is still down while Ottawa & Boston are at full health starting the season. For the other, at least as far as Boston is concerned, 2 finals appearances in 3 years earns them quite a bit more benefit of doubt than our measly division win.

I admit I'm a pessimist, but it's been 20 years since we've reached the final and we've got a lot of 1-and-outs along the way. It's hard to feel optimistic with our track record.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
I just don't see how Toronto and Ottawa can finish in front of us. They lack depth and had incredibly lucky seasons. One with a goaltender averaging tim Thomas like numbers and the other with a ridiculous shot percentage. The sens have a chance of making the playoffs but i don't see where they are better than the habs.

Anderson has usually struggled when he starts more than 30 games, their d is average just like ours, they have 1 scoring line the other 3 are weaker than the habs. I just don't see it. Only Boston have a better team overall than the habs thanks to Tuuka Rask and Chara. Give them mediocre goaltending and an injury to Chara and they are not the same team at all.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
For one thing, Emelin is still down while Ottawa & Boston are at full health starting the season. For the other, at least as far as Boston is concerned, 2 finals appearances in 3 years earns them quite a bit more benefit of doubt than our measly division win.

I admit I'm a pessimist, but it's been 20 years since we've reached the final and we've got a lot of 1-and-outs along the way. It's hard to feel optimistic with our track record.

Spezza's already having issues, he was inactive last week. That might be a worse injury than Emelin, one that's recurring.

Boston's made a lot of changes from the team that went to two finals...pile of guys gone from the cup win and a bunch more from last year. They may end up being as good and they may not.

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
I just don't see how Toronto and Ottawa can finish in front of us

Really? Toronto isn't off to a bad start. And our fragile Habs have lost our enforcer, Max is playing hurt, some say Prust is nursing an injury, etc., etc.,

This year is going to be a cluster******

We're missing the playoffs. Book it!

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I just don't get all the negative comments about the Leafs.

James van Riemsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul - Nazem Kadri - Nikolai Kulemin
Mason Raymond - David Bolland - Troy Bodie

That's a very, very good top 9. Well balanced. They have question marks when it comes to their D, just like we do. But their forwards are more consistent performers.

Half our forwards are more comfortable playing C and all our size is on the LW and midgets on the RW. Half our D is soft and unable to clear the crease and prevent second and third shots on Price.

Habs won't improve until we rebalance that group of players and that can only happen through trades. Unfortunately, we have a few boat anchor contracts so I don't see that happening soon.

We're a bubble team and rebuilding and the team should be coached accordingly, ie give more TOI to the EGG line, PK, etc. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's the team we'll see until some of the contracts expire.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
If we continue on our playoffs form from last year like we are doing right now...no playoffs.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Toronto doing the same thing they did last year. Get out shot, out played and still find a way to win somehow.

Whatever works I guess, just horribly boring hockey to watch as we all know from Martin days.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I just don't get all the negative comments about the Leafs.

James van Riemsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul - Nazem Kadri - Nikolai Kulemin
Mason Raymond - David Bolland - Troy Bodie

That's a very, very good top 9. Well balanced. They have question marks when it comes to their D, just like we do. But their forwards are more consistent performers.

Half our forwards are more comfortable playing C and all our size is on the LW and midgets on the RW. Half our D is soft and unable to clear the crease and prevent second and third shots on Price.

Habs won't improve until we rebalance that group of players and that can only happen through trades. Unfortunately, we have a few boat anchor contracts so I don't see that happening soon.

We're a bubble team and rebuilding and the team should be coached accordingly, ie give more TOI to the EGG line, PK, etc. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's the team we'll see until some of the contracts expire.

They have some good players in there, but any top 9 with Bodie in there can't be THAT good. They are solid on the wings and in nets but mediocre at center and on defense.

I don't see what difference if you have 2 small guys on RW and 1 on LW or all 3 on RW. The lines are not on the ice at the same time. The size in the top 9 is not ideal on the Desharnais line but the others have a solid mix and the 4th line is big/agressive/physical, where it matters most.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Really? Toronto isn't off to a bad start. And our fragile Habs have lost our enforcer, Max is playing hurt, some say Prust is nursing an injury, etc., etc.,

This year is going to be a cluster******

We're missing the playoffs. Book it!

call the Bell and tell them to free up those dates...if you said it after watching ONE game it MUST be true.

I heard the Flyers did the same this morning.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
They have some good players in there, but any top 9 with Bodie in there can't be THAT good. They are solid on the wings and in nets but mediocre at center and on defense.

I don't see what difference if you have 2 small guys on RW and 1 on LW or all 3 on RW. The lines are not on the ice at the same time. The size in the top 9 is not ideal on the Desharnais line but the others have a solid mix and the 4th line is big/agressive/physical, where it matters most.

A top 9 with DD as your 1st center can't be that good. ;)

The crux of our problem is the C position. We need to break the logjam at some point with a trade. Eller and Chuckie need to move up and center their own lines.

simplysincere*

Anywhere between 5th and 8th.

Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, and Detroit are all going to finish ahead. Tampa usually has one good year, followed by one bad year, followed by one good year, etc. They had a bad season last year, so they may be due for a good season this year. If Thomas picks up where he left off, then Florida may surprise people. The only team I'm certain of having a bad season is Buffalo. We're in for a tough season this year.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
A top 9 with DD as your 1st center can't be that good. ;)

The crux of our problem is the C position. We need to break the logjam at some point with a trade. Eller and Chuckie need to move up and center their own lines.

DD has never been the Habs #1 center at any point in his career.

I don't see that as a problem, some teams don't have two centers that can play on an offensive line, the habs have 3. Galchenyuk has a lot of work to do defensively before he can be a reliable NHL center, at this point he makes DD look like Datsyuk in terms of defensive play.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Spezza's already having issues, he was inactive last week. That might be a worse injury than Emelin, one that's recurring.

Boston's made a lot of changes from the team that went to two finals...pile of guys gone from the cup win and a bunch more from last year. They may end up being as good and they may not.

They added several young players and lost only one, Seguin. (Note that since he's no longer on the Bruins I don't spell it as Sequin.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad