Where does Henrik Lundqvist rank all-time amongst goalies?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Best Rangers goalie I've seen, and best goalie who plays guitar. One of those guys I'll defend down the road, he's still good goalie but I think as good as he still is his numbers and success in the coming seasons might be skewed on a rebuilding Rangers team. Unless he is traded his minutes lessen with Georgiev and eventually Shestyorkin. Would love to see Henrik win a cup, he's been successful at every level he played and a good guy.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
For me right now he's top 15. I look at his peers and how many have struggled to stay at the same level year to year- the position of netminder has become so erratic.

If he's even half as good as vintage hank over the next two seasons he's consolidated in the top 15 with a decent argument to crack the top ten in years to come.

Also, take the vezina results with a pinch of salt. No disrespect to the winners but if you've watched Lundqvist carry the Rangers for the best part of 12 years, you know he should have won at least one more.

There's a legit argument to be made that no goalie has been as instrumental to his team's sustained success since Hasek on the Sabres.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Also, take the vezina results with a pinch of salt. No disrespect to the winners but if you've watched Lundqvist carry the Rangers for the best part of 12 years, you know he should have won at least one more.

Give us the years where he should have won (and didn't).

At least then we can have a proper discussion about it.

At the moment, you're asking me to take the word of someone with a Lundqvist avatar over the Vezina voting body. "Trust me - Lundqvist deserved more."

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Give us the years where he should have won (and didn't).

At least then we can have a proper discussion about it.

At the moment, you're asking me to take the word of someone with a Lundqvist avatar over the Vezina voting body. "Trust me - Lundqvist deserved more."

08/09 and 12/13 both have valid arguments

12/13 he was helped by a better defensive system but he remained the most important part of that system.

Go look up the starting pairs on the 08/09 team.

And I'm not asking you to take my word on anything I don't really care if you agree or not I'm stating my opinion. Not to mention the guy is an nhl goalie, don't take my word look him up on YouTube instead.

You'd swear I'm hyping some beer leaguer or something

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

I'm happy to have an actual discussion with you about the merits of your case once you stop insisting that this sort of rhetoric is helpful.

I'm also not going to do some sort of YouTube quest to support your argument on your behalf.

"LUNDQVIST DESERVE MOAR!" Why? "LOOK ON YOUTUBE!"

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I'm happy to have an actual discussion with you about the merits of your case once you stop insisting that this sort of rhetoric is helpful.

Rhetoric? Ok sure.

You asked me a question and I answered you.

Move along now.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I'm happy right here.

You're the one who wants us to believe something - if you're tired of the conversation, no one's keeping you here.

I posted a pretty simple, opinion based post with no agenda and very civil. You're the one who's being obnoxious and frankly, oddly irritable about it.

By the way, between the two of us, I'm the only one who actually answered the OP AND answered a question asked of me by another poster.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
A top 25 guy would be my guess.

I took a brief look at Lundqvist's voting through the years and I don't really know if he lost out on any trophies. I definitely went in thinking he did but I don't see it.

Luongo's the one who can feel faulted, depending on how you view the award.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
08/09 and 12/13 both have valid arguments

12/13 he was helped by a better defensive system but he remained the most important part of that system.

Go look up the starting pairs on the 08/09 team.

And I'm not asking you to take my word on anything I don't really care if you agree or not I'm stating my opinion. Not to mention the guy is an nhl goalie, don't take my word look him up on YouTube instead.

no argument to be made for 2013. Bobrovsky put up better numbers behind a far worse defense.

in terms of being top 15, no.

Plante, Dryden, Brimsek, Tretiak, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Thompson, Sawchuk, Hall, Bower, Parent, Vezina, Durnin, Worsley...that was easy

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I wouldn't exactly argue Lundqvist deserving MORE Vezina support than what he had, considering he's notorious for getting bogus, lone 1st places votes.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
no argument to be made for 2013. Bobrovsky put up better numbers behind a far worse defense.

in terms of being top 15, no.

Plante, Dryden, Brimsek, Tretiak, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Thompson, Sawchuk, Hall, Bower, Parent, Vezina, Durnin, Worsley...that was easy

Tretiak is a big asterisk considering the circumstances of his career and he also never played in the NA league so I was under the impression we were discussing nhl goalies only.

Parent is a good comparison for Lundqvist in my opinion and I wouldn't argue anyone who has him just ahead. I don't

Worsley .. Well it's a popular opinion but considering he was on the golden state warriors era of Montreal with all the best players (this isn't debatable) I think it's a bit of pick your poison - the goalie with a great career on a great team or a goalie who has long elevated some average, good and poor ones, in a very different era. Once again, Worsley is a legend so I expect to see him ranked highly.

Your list is fine but mine is different and I think it's down to criteria and what we value in our rankings

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Boys, this is as good as it's gonna get in terms of modern goaltending. This guy is routinely in the conversation for best goalie in the land for a sustained amount of time. Look at the fluctuation statistically and how coaching effects impact production. Guys can't keep their head above water year over year, too many team changes and one-hit wonders that torpedo reliable goaltenders.

Lundqvist isn't flawless...but he's as good as it gets since the big sleep.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Boys, this is as good as it's gonna get in terms of modern goaltending. This guy is routinely in the conversation for best goalie in the land for a sustained amount of time. Look at the fluctuation statistically and how coaching effects impact production. Guys can't keep their head above water year over year, too many team changes and one-hit wonders that torpedo reliable goaltenders.

Lundqvist isn't flawless...but he's as good as it gets since the big sleep.

And where would you rank him all-time?

(I also have him as the best goaltender of the current decade, for what it's worth.)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
1 Vezina, no Cup.....but best of his generation? Top 15 all-time? Oof! The days of Dom, Pat and Marty are clearly in the distant past. Today's standards for goaltending greatness are....low.

"But he's been carrying horribad Rangers teams forevarrrrr!!! 1! 1!!!"

Keep spewing that, Rangers fans. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Changes to the league have made it nigh incredible for goalies to dominate over multiple years like they have in the past. Look at the post-lockout stats, even the goalies we consider great have been up and down. The standards for goalies aren't "low", but they are different.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Wherever you have Ed Belfour -- Lundqvist can't be THAT far.

This line from TDDM is also very appropriate
If Belfour won one less Vezina and won one Stanley Cup Finals game in his entire career.

For someone called "The King", Lunqvist hasn't done much in terms of individual or team trophies. Very consistent, but overrated in my book.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Changes to the league have made it nigh incredible for goalies to dominate over multiple years like they have in the past. Look at the post-lockout stats, even the goalies we consider great have been up and down. The standards for goalies aren't "low", but they are different.

What changes are you alluding to?

And maybe we see a lot of statistical "ups and downs" now because.....there are no great goalies.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
1 Vezina, no Cup.....but best of his generation? Top 15 all-time? Oof! The days of Dom, Pat and Marty are clearly in the distant past. Today's standards for goaltending greatness are....low.

"But he's been carrying horribad Rangers teams forevarrrrr!!! 1! 1!!!"

Keep spewing that, Rangers fans. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

Wait

So it's not true?

I really think you check out our 05/06 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 15/16 and 17/18 squads

You're entitled to your opinion and all and to be honest I really don't care wherever anyone ranks him... But he clearly carried his teams. Even today every analyst and insider discussing the rangers chances in any particular year or playoff run, alway reference him.

As Lundqvist goes so do the rangers.

Although having said that he had good teams between 2013-2015, those were fun times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad