Prospect Info: Where does Hayes rank in our prospect rankings?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
To me Miller's pro production has him still #1. No one else has taken that step.

Duclair has the most upside, but Skjei is #2 in upside and is a bit farther along. Plus Duclair has had an injury or two.

Hayes / Buchnevich is a tough call.

1. Miller
2. Skjei
3. Duclair
4. Hayes
5. Buchnevich

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
To me Miller's pro production has him still #1. No one else has taken that step.

Duclair has the most upside, but Skjei is #2 in upside and is a bit farther along. Plus Duclair has had an injury or two.

Hayes / Buchnevich is a tough call.

1. Miller
2. Skjei
3. Duclair
4. Hayes
5. Buchnevich

yeah id probably have McIlrath up there as well. I know ppl have soured on him. I havent.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think that was based on this past year though right? The projection I have for both make me believe Skjei will be the more valuable player down the road, hence why I put him at #2

No it was based on how valuable one is as a prospect. Allegedly, Hayes is significantly more valuable than Skjei, according to a guy who has been writing about college hockey for years.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Miller, Skjei, Duclair, then it's a toss up between Buch, McIlrath, and Hayes for the last two spots in the top5. Kind of puts Fast on the available-prospect trade list.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
A respected college blogger had Hayes 15 spots ahead of Skjei in ranking the top college players.

IMO that SBN ranking seemed to really favor players with size. That's really the only aspect that Hayes has over Gaudreau, who he ranked 13 spots away.

He then seems to completely neglect the importance of skating in the NHL, because Hayes is not fleet of foot while Skjei has got a set of wheels that is second to none. Hayes and Skjei, both have size, grit, physicality, and smart 2-way play. Skjei laps him twice in a race around the pond skating backwards, with one hand tied behind his back. As a result, Skjei has 1st pairing potential and Hayes does not have 1st line potential. If Hayes had 1st line potential, he'd be on par with Kreider and he never has been. For this reason, I see Skjei as a much better prospect than Hayes.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
As a foreigner who only watches Rangers games, who is this Skjei and when are we likely to see him become a regular fixture/who is he likely to line with?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
As a foreigner who only watches Rangers games, who is this Skjei and when are we likely to see him become a regular fixture/who is he likely to line with?

He's the second coming of Ryan McDonagh and until he announced he was staying in college another year, many were saying the Rangers should trade Staal and Skjei will fill his spot. I think both are lofty goals.

He's ready to turn pro though much like Kreider, he's choosing to stick around College for an extra year more than the Rangers want him to. After spending a half season in Hartford next year to learn the pro game, he could very well be a fixture in NY from then on.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=515329

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
He's the second coming of Ryan McDonagh and until he announced he was staying in college another year, many were saying the Rangers should trade Staal and Skjei will fill his spot. I think both are lofty goals.

He's ready to turn pro though much like Kreider, he's choosing to stick around College for an extra year more than the Rangers want him to. After spending a half season in Hartford next year to learn the pro game, he could very well be a fixture in NY from then on.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=515329

Looks like a good kid with good wheels! Exciting times.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
1. Miller
2. Skjei
3. Hayes
4. Duclair
5. McIlrath
6. Buchnevich

LOVE our top 6 in prospects, 2 boom or bust prospects, a bruiser in McIlrath, a sure thing 2/3 liner in miller and the smooth skating Skjei who's compared to McDonagh. Great balance there

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
1. Miller
2. McIlrath
3. Hayes
4. Fast
5. Duclair
6. Buchnevich
7. Skjei
8. Lindberg

But they are not easy to rank. I do have Miller as a quite clear No 1 though. Fast is the toughest to rank. Skjei is bound to be low looking at that list 10 years from now snice a few guys ahead of him are bound to bust, but potential wise I have him there. McI could fall the hardest, but that's where I have him right now. I remember making a ranking like this where I had Zuccarello No 1 over Kreider and Miller, a few months later Zucc was in the KHL and it didn't look good. I am not sure it look good to have him over Kreider right now either, but... ;) Anyway, I think we are investing a great deal in McI and that when he arrives he will give us something we haven't had in a long time. He got a process infront of him, but he should arrive in due time. If that process fails, he will fail miserably and be an incon talked about like Jessiman forever. But I don't see why I should count on the process to fail so to speak.

A very good top 8!

(I've not ranked the players I barely have seen like Haggerty, Zamorsky and co.)

Last edited:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
1. Miller
2. McIlrath
3. Hayes
4. Fast
5. Duclair
6. Buchnevich
7. Skjei
8. Lindberg

But they are not easy to rank. I do have Miller as a quite clear No 1 though. Fast is the toughest to rank. Skjei is bound to be low looking at that list 10 years from now snice a few guys ahead of him are bound to bust, but potential wise I have him there. McI could fall the hardest, but that's where I have him right now. I remember making a ranking like this where I had Zuccarello No 1 over Kreider and Miller, a few months later Zucc was in the KHL and it didn't look good. I am not sure it look good to have him over Kreider right now either, but... ;) Anyway, I think we are investing a great deal in McI and that when he arrives he will give us something we haven't had in a long time. He got a process infront of him, but he should arrive in due time. If that process fails, he will fail miserably and be an incon talked about like Jessiman forever. But I don't see why I should count on the process to fail so to speak.

A very good top 8!

(I've not ranked the players I barely have seen like Haggerty, Zamorsky and co.)

Agreed.

One or two gems and another one or two solid, everyday players could come out of that group.

NYRCSKA*

MJ Comm.jpeg

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Very happy that the Rangers landed Hayes, hope he becomes a staple of our top 9 for many years to come. He isn't your prototypical big guy, he is more of a finesse player but his physical game has taken tremendous leaps and bounds over the past few years. I see him topping out as a very good second line player, either way he will end up being at least a third liner in this league. Comparing him to the physical specimen that is Kreider is not fair to him, he doesn't have the wheels nor the brute strength Kreids possesses. He needs to develop a mean streak and learn to use his size to his advantage against the best in the world and he will do just fine.

I put him behind Miller, McIlrath, and Duke. I also expect to see him playing on our third line this year after a half season in Hartford, his size is needed if they want to compete with the bigger teams in a 7 game series. Here's to hoping he puts it together and becomes a productive guy in blue.

SupersonicMonkey*

I think that was based on this past year though right? The projection I have for both make me believe Skjei will be the more valuable player down the road, hence why I put him at #2

Agree. IMO i don't think anyone else currently in the system comes close to what Skjei's potential value will be.

Skjei projects to be the kind of defenseman that will log a lot of minutes and face top quality competition.

Not seeing this Hayes at center thing.

Miller deserves to be #1 for now.

Miller
Skjei
Duclair
Buchnevich
Halverson
-----------
Lindberg
McIlrath
Haggerty
Hayes
Fast

IMO.

Considering #10 on my list already has NHL experience...i feel our system is solid.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Electro- Re Skjei, it could also be the absolute opposite. Ie, he could him and have absolute zero chance of ever logging big minutes, if he like have Staal and McD infront of him for 6-7 years.

Also, Torts did a good job defensively, and with getting them time in the NHL, with these D minded Ds. That shouldn't be underrated. AV asks for other stuff too. We are used to seing Ds get into the NHL with ease, it could be harder for them when they are asked to move the puck too.

If Staal leaves or whatever happens, Skjei could -- like you say -- have a good shot at making it and play for a bigger role. But that isn't a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00