Prospect Info: Where does Hayes rank in our prospect rankings?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
We only completed our prospect rankings a short time before Hayes signed with the team, but in a way, I'm glad that it happened after the last poll was complete - if he had come on board during the process, he likely would have wound up somewhere completely inappropriate in the rankings simply due to the timing of when he became eligible.

And so, now we can run a Hayes-specific poll to figure out where he belongs. I'll do two of them: this one first to determine the appropriate range and then a second to pick the exact placement in that range. Then, hopefully one of the mods can update the stickied list above.

Sound good to everyone?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I have a hard time not seeing him as top-5 in the organization.

That being said, I think the only real reason we do these polls in the summer is to fill the downtime. Right after training camp is really a much, much better period for evaluating where these players stand.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of them all I think Hayes has the best shot to make the Rangers this year. Miller is next. I wouldn't be surprised if both Hayes and Miller make the team. The Rangers need more size and Hayes especially but also Miller would help provide that.

What it means as far as Duclair is I'm pretty sure now he's going back to the Q. Duclair IMO has the chance to be a very good NHL player in the future but he's different from Hayes who is older, bigger, stronger. Any team needs different variables. Duclair has speed, moves and goal scoring ability but the Rangers have enough of that right now where they don't have to push him into the lineup. I expect a strong camp out of Duclair and with another great year in Quebec he might push for a job in NY next year. He'll be that one year bigger, stronger and more developed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of them all I think Hayes has the best shot to make the Rangers this year. Miller is next. I wouldn't be surprised if both Hayes and Miller make the team. The Rangers need more size and Hayes especially but also Miller would help provide that.

What it means as far as Duclair is I'm pretty sure now he's going back to the Q. Duclair IMO has the chance to be a very good NHL player in the future but he's different from Hayes who is older, bigger, stronger. Any team needs different variables. Duclair has speed, moves and goal scoring ability but the Rangers have enough of that right now where they don't have to push him into the lineup. I expect a strong camp out of Duclair and with another great year in Quebec he might push for a job in NY next year. He'll be that one year bigger, stronger and more developed.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Definitely top-5. Probably right behind Miller and Skjei.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
IMHO miller is hands down number one. Kids getting no respect for the terrific ahl numbers he just put up, and playing in the playoffs...and being told he would have kept playing if not for injury

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I think Hayes is top 5, but I also think Buchnevich should be in the top 5 and he's currently sitting at #6 in our voted rankings.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
5 to 8

Behind Miller, Skjei, Duclair and Buchnevich

Somewhere in the second 4 with McIlrath, Fast and Lindberg

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
He should be at #2 - with Skjei number one and Buch number three
But that is far from the prototypical HF followers opinion

Yeah, you're a real rebel.

Standing in individual lists posted in the final ranking thread:

Skjei - 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 3, 2
Seven of nine posters have him at or within one slot of your ranking. Nobody disagrees by more than two slots.

Buchnevich - 2, 4, 4, 7, 8, 9, 4, 2, 6
Five of nine posters have him within one slot of your ranking. Nobody disagrees by more than six slots.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Yeah, you're a real rebel.

Standing in individual lists posted in the final ranking thread:

Skjei - 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 3, 2
Seven of nine posters have him at or within one slot of your ranking. Nobody disagrees by more than two slots.

Buchnevich - 2, 4, 4, 7, 8, 9, 4, 2, 6
Five of nine posters have him within one slot of your ranking. Nobody disagrees by more than six slots.

Did I eat you lunchbox or something?
I think both Miller and Big Mac should be lower on the rankings
That is all
You know nothing of my rebel status...

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
A respected college blogger had Hayes 15 spots ahead of Skjei in ranking the top college players.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
How many defensemen made made the jump to the NHL after two years in the NCAA and were productive rookies?

Miller is clearly first because he's battle tested and contributed as an NHL regular, and he's got a very solid AHL season under his belt.

Hayes is between 2-5 overall. It's hard to figure out who is further along in their development, a two-year stud defenseman or a four-year stud center.

I would say upside-wise:

1) Skjei
2) Duclair
3) Hayes/Miller

In terms of progress/development:

1) Miller
2) Fast
3) Skjei
4) Buchnevich
5) Hayes

Overall:

1) Miller
2) Skjei
3) Hayes

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
By all accounts, Skjei is one of the best overall defensemen in college hockey. He doesn't have the vision/playmaking of McDonagh at this stage but there are moments where you see he has it in him.

Miller has a ton of skill. He's proven he has it. You have to give the kid a chance to show what he can do from an offensive standpoint.

It's very hard to determine who of the two will be the better player/better pro.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Adding Hayes is at least equivalent to adding a player like Miller or Skjei--and it cost us nothing but a contract. It's a great deal.

1. Hayes
2. Miller
3. Skjei
4. McIlrath
5. Duclair

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
This will be a lot easier after this upcoming season. It's hard to know what Hayes is at this point. He had a breakout year this year coming off an injury plagued junior year. As has been pointed out, the breakout also came with the hobey baker award winner.

The potential is there, and he is closer than our other prospects. IMO he's #2

Miller
Hayes
Duclair
Skjei
Buchnevich
McIlrath

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A respected college blogger had Hayes 15 spots ahead of Skjei in ranking the top college players.

I think that was based on this past year though right? The projection I have for both make me believe Skjei will be the more valuable player down the road, hence why I put him at #2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad