Where does Dougie Hamilton rank among dmen?

Where does he rank?

• Total voters

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Get some toughness and he'll be in top 10

As it is, top 10 offense only, top 30 including defense

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What kind of a grown man goes by the name of Dougie?

Gio carried him. Good offensively but super soft and an adventure in his own zone.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
What kind of a grown man goes by the name of Dougie?

Gio carried him. Good offensively but super soft and an adventure in his own zone.

Hockey nicknames all end in 'ee' or 'y', so I'm guessing he has just been called Dougie all his life... like a nickname
If he were to change it now I'd still bet hiscoaches and teammates would refer to him as Dougie.

And it's far better than Nuge lol

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I would love to see a ranking list of the people who think hes top 5, maybe do like a top 15. Would be very interesting

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
He's the best player... to be paired with your "#1D" (position wise).

i.e. He's very good in the offensive zone, great at running the power play, but prone to mental lapses which you need your best defenseman to cover.

That puts him in the 25-30 range, as there are probably 20-25 first pairing defensemen that have the talent to cover Dougies occasional brain farts.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
since that list i have moved hamilton burns subban and klingberg up, doughty suter and pietrangelo down
Seems like you've started to value offence more and defence less when ranking defensemen (apart from Subban).

What made Hamilton go from not even top 14 to top 5?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Seems like you've started to value offence more and defence less when ranking defensemen (apart from Subban).

What made Hamilton go from not even top 14 to top 5?
its ironic that the 3 guys moved down put up more points than Hamilton while being 10x the defensive players

Reactions: olli

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

i.e. He's very good in the offensive zone, great at running the power play, but prone to mental lapses which you need your best defenseman to cover.

That puts him in the 25-30 range, as there are probably 20-25 first pairing defensemen that have the talent to cover Dougies occasional brain farts.

I feel this is accurate.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's pretty firmly top-20.

Great offensive ability, good on the PP, drives shot and chance differentials. He's not a stalwart defensively, but he takes so much more than he gives back.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is an interesting 180. You were extremely high on his potential prior to the trade

I do think he has 1D potential. Potential being the key word. He hasn’t demonstrated he can be the 1D yet, the fact that he was the only top 4D completely left off the PK or when Calgary was protecting a lead, speaks some volume about where he’s at defensively.

Don’t get me wrong though, Dougie was one of my favourite players while he was here.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Hockey nicknames all end in 'ee' or 'y', so I'm guessing he has just been called Dougie all his life... like a nickname
If he were to change it now I'd still bet hiscoaches and teammates would refer to him as Dougie.

And it's far better than Nuge lol
His name isn't Nuge tho

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

He's basically what Christian Ehrhoff was to the Canucks in his prime. On paper, you see credentials that might almost read like a #1D in terms of TOI, Pts, and even shot differential metrics. But when you really dive into it and watch the guy and his usage, you realize that he's just not. Good in softer/offensive minutes, with a stabilizing partner to help smooth out some of the defensive lapses. Asset on the PP where they pick up points. But not the guy to really "carry" those toughest minutes without an extremely steady partner to lean on. Just very good at the offensive end of things, and the sort of guy who you're happy to play a ton of minutes behind your best scoring line players with good results. Just not a real #1D, and in some ways, kind of makes the "top pairing" label a bit murky.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I have him top-15.

Tough job playing with a top-10 and now a top-15 defenseman in hockey :laugh:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad